Doug Lanes' New Guitar!
Doug Lane
Nov 5 2013, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, hope y'all are doing great!
Some of you might have heard of the tragic loss of my Peavey void 1 guitar. Though it will be missed, I have moved on to find a very good replacement. In light of the holiday season, I treated myself to a new BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2013, 12:23 PM
Instructor
Now it is working here as well! biggrin.gif

Hmmm smile.gif What have you used to record? I noticed that the low end is a bit muddy - more like a Slayer sort of tone - did you want it like that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 12 2013, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 12 2013, 11:23 AM) *
Now it is working here as well! biggrin.gif

Hmmm smile.gif What have you used to record? I noticed that the low end is a bit muddy - more like a Slayer sort of tone - did you want it like that?

I'm recording with guitar rig 4 into audacity. The rhythm guitar tone was a subject of much contention for me. I managed to make it sound decent on my own speakers, but when I tried mixing in with the headphones it kind of fell apart. I honestly thing the detuned guitar sounds much better in the mix for the last half of the song.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2013, 02:12 AM
A TON depends on your speakers/monitors. Also on your headphones. If you need to keep volumes low, I'd say get a really nice pair of headphones. Something like the AKG MKII series, or the SHURE PRO series smile.gif Use something like earbuds and desktop computer speakers only when the mix is balanced and ready. The cheapy desktop speakers and ear buds are just for checking what the lowest common denominator. Neither is adequate for actual mixing IMHO.

The good news is your playing is spiff and your guitar RAWKS! A few tweaks to recording and BAM!

QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Nov 12 2013, 10:23 AM) *
I'm recording with guitar rig 4 into audacity. The rhythm guitar tone was a subject of much contention for me. I managed to make it sound decent on my own speakers, but when I tried mixing in with the headphones it kind of fell apart. I honestly thing the detuned guitar sounds much better in the mix for the last half of the song.

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 13 2013, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2013, 01:12 AM) *
A TON depends on your speakers/monitors. Also on your headphones. If you need to keep volumes low, I'd say get a really nice pair of headphones. Something like the AKG MKII series, or the SHURE PRO series smile.gif Use something like earbuds and desktop computer speakers only when the mix is balanced and ready. The cheapy desktop speakers and ear buds are just for checking what the lowest common denominator. Neither is adequate for actual mixing IMHO.

The good news is your playing is spiff and your guitar RAWKS! A few tweaks to recording and BAM!

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider some good studio headphones for my next equipment purchase! I already have some relatively good monitor speakers, TASCAM VL-S21 model. My laptop is equipped with BEATS audio, so the speakers on here are somewhat good, but I'm getting the impression that the software that controls the audio output might have skewed my ability to make good editing decisions. I'll try disabling it before I do any audio editing next time.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Doug Lane   Doug Lanes' New Guitar!   Nov 5 2013, 03:15 PM
- - Darius Wave   Yes...it was really shame...but I hope New one wil...   Nov 5 2013, 03:40 PM
- - Sinisa Cekic   Great looking axe ,congrats !   Nov 5 2013, 04:12 PM
- - Doug Lane   This will be my first time owning a medium/high e...   Nov 5 2013, 04:55 PM
|- - Darius Wave   QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Nov 5 2013, 04:55 PM) ...   Nov 8 2013, 04:45 PM
|- - Doug Lane   I'm going to try and put up something oiginal ...   Nov 9 2013, 08:09 PM
nnn
nnn
- - AK Rich   Whoa that was quick man! That is one nice look...   Nov 5 2013, 05:05 PM
- - Hajduk   Awesome guitar congrats   Nov 5 2013, 05:10 PM
- - Cosmin Lupu   If it fits you and if you like it, it can only be ...   Nov 8 2013, 10:25 AM
- - Bogdan Radovic   WOW congratulations man! This guitar looks s...   Nov 8 2013, 02:05 PM
- - Cosmin Lupu   I remember the first time I ever saw that guitar -...   Nov 9 2013, 09:15 AM
|- - Mertay   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 9 2013, 08:15 AM...   Nov 9 2013, 12:32 PM
nnn
- - Blister   Sympathies & congrats! QUOTE (AK R...   Nov 9 2013, 07:41 PM
- - Darius Wave   Can't wait! I hope it will compensate You...   Nov 9 2013, 09:55 PM
- - Slavenko Erazer   Cool, u can shred like Dave Mustaine now!   Nov 10 2013, 10:58 AM
- - Darius Wave   Dave who? Mustache?   Nov 10 2013, 11:10 AM
- - Todd Simpson   Spiff axe and you got a steal on it!! CONG...   Nov 10 2013, 08:06 PM
- - Doug Lane   Hey guys! I've got a quick update on the n...   Nov 11 2013, 05:03 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate - it says here that the link isn't wo...   Nov 11 2013, 10:03 AM
- - Doug Lane   Oh, that's odd... It's working just fine f...   Nov 11 2013, 02:47 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Sadly, you can't trust those speakers for mixi...   Nov 13 2013, 03:45 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Todd's advice is great! Having a set of s...   Nov 13 2013, 12:01 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Those are very nice speakers and a fine choice...   Nov 14 2013, 02:01 AM
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Thank you Todd - you are right - start with someth...   Nov 14 2013, 09:19 AM
- - Todd Simpson   Very true! Never to late to add monitors Like...   Nov 15 2013, 01:28 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:01 AM