Blowing Stuff Up
black and white
Jun 3 2008, 08:12 PM
GMC:er
I am here on assignment for work for a year in Spain. When I arrived a knew that I would need voltage converters for most of my electrical equipment...razors, computers, X-box, etc etc.....guitar amp........

Anyway, most of the stuff worked just fine with a voltage converter, but my X box power supply exploded in a shower of sparks and flames, even though I had used a converter. Since them, I have been afraid to plug in my amp for fear of ruining it. Have any of you had this type of experience and would you risk plugging one in even with a converter. The amp is a little g dec 30 and it is only rated for 110. Are there any little gizmos that allow you to plug into voltages of different countries.

Thanks in advance

David.......Happy Birthday dude.....were you near Signal Mountain and i return to San Antonio in late August? Austin is just up the road. You will love Texas.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by black and white: Jun 3 2008, 08:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2008, 09:30 PM
Instructor
I think Muris had similar issue with one of his components in rack. Don't exactly remember what it was, but he solved it so he probably has more experience with this issue.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 3 2008, 09:30 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
black and white
Jun 3 2008, 10:57 PM
Hey Ivan

Thanks for the post...I will keep an eye out.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 3 2008, 11:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think the issue is that amps and stuff can pull quite a large load which may cause the travel converter to overload and over heat if left on for some time. If you use a proper step up voltage transformer from 110 to 230V it should be ok. I think Muris had an electrician supply and fit his to his preamp.

One other thing - as far as I can tell in Spain the mains is not earthed in the same way as in the UK - and I think the US. A noticable side effect of this is that equipment can arc when you put the plug in/pull it out. That might have caused the problem. Might be worth putting valuable electrical/electronics through a switched surge protector that you isolate before you plug in/out stuff.

Also check the back of your equipment - some can be switched between 110 and 220-240 V.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
black and white
Jun 3 2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info Tony. I checked the back of the amp and it looks like it is only set to run up to 120. Guess I will have to just keep using my tiny battery operated little fender play amp. It is too late for the xbox...............that is totally fired......no video games for months ugggggh

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2008, 11:46 PM
Instructor
Tony is right, amps can pull peaks that can overload the transformers. I didn't ever heard for a transformer that is small and light enough to be practical, but - as I said - try to contact Muris, maybe he can help. Cheers! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:39 PM