5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Tonyk - Impro-wise-note Choice Workout :)
tonyk
Dec 16 2013, 11:56 PM
GMC:er
Hi Darius. Have added link to my "less is more" take. What do you think.Any suggestions appreciated.thanks Tony
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/less-comp

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 17 2013, 03:46 PM
Instructor
Hey there! You heard that before but anyway I'll just repeat myself - You did a really nice progress since the very first collab I remember. We need to work on Your tone a bit. Can You send me a screen of plug-ins set-up for this tone + guitar only mix so I coul open it in my DAW and see where are those harsh spots ( treble end is a bit unpleasant to the ears )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 18 2013, 04:22 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 17 2013, 02:46 PM) *
Hey there! You heard that before but anyway I'll just repeat myself - You did a really nice progress since the very first collab I remember. We need to work on Your tone a bit. Can You send me a screen of plug-ins set-up for this tone + guitar only mix so I coul open it in my DAW and see where are those harsh spots ( treble end is a bit unpleasant to the ears )

Hi Darius.Sent photo of screen. not sure if this what you asked for.Using les paul copy thru M-audio fast track into Amplitude 3 free(no pedals) in Reaper.Im hopeless with computers.
Attached Image
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/less-comp-guitar

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2013, 01:19 PM
Instructor
Ok I get it. Seems like You use factory preset. I would go for a little less presence and treble. Grab both knobs and try to go to the quarter of the scale. Send me the mix so I could compare

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 23 2013, 09:48 AM
Attached Image

Attached Image

https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/less-comp-guitar-only

Hi Darius.Still too harsh?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 23 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure do I see it correctly so please tell me...is that booster in front of the amp or at the end of the signal chain?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 23 2013, 11:26 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 23 2013, 09:34 AM) *
I'm not sure do I see it correctly so please tell me...is that booster in front of the amp or at the end of the signal chain?

Booster in front of amp

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 23 2013, 11:54 AM
Instructor
1st thing I would try todo is giving about 1/4 less of the spring reverb.

2nd thing - the tone is still a bit too sharp. Maybe You could try to change the cabinet simulation or we can try to low pass the tone. are You using Reaper?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 29 2013, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 23 2013, 10:54 AM) *
1st thing I would try todo is giving about 1/4 less of the spring reverb.

2nd thing - the tone is still a bit too sharp. Maybe You could try to change the cabinet simulation or we can try to low pass the tone. are You using Reaper?

Hey Darius. Am using Reaper. Attached part of Winter collab rec. Will work on bend accuracy. There is sameness to phrase ending despite landing on different notes. Any suggestions.
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/winter-collab

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 30 2013, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Somehow I feel You can do more than that. Comparing to some of Your latest records this one is not too strong. Sorry for writting this but I know what You are able to do and I believe You can do better.

1. I still have the feeling of some clipping. Maybe try to decrease input on Your audio device and compensate it with more gain on the amp simulation.

2. Please go to the jsctrn thread in my instructors section. Somewhere there I put a screen of how to add a low pass filter in Reaper. It could help You to get rid of harsh treble

3. I would remove the spring reverb. It sounds like the guitar is completely in a different room than the band (backing track). We could go for different reverb.

Let mi know what do You think

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 30 2013, 10:47 AM
All criticism welcome.Its only way I will improve.Is the problem my poor technique or poor technique and uninteresting phrases.have a great new year.tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 30 2013, 12:02 PM
Instructor
I think You it's too flat. Melody idea is not bad at all but nothing more happens in the solo. It lacks a moments of tension and release - I mean that's how You create emotions - not only by a catchy melody but also buy some moments of tension like a few faster notes, prebends, changing vibrato speed etc. Try to figure out something more over Your basic concept smile.gif

Happy New Year to You too my friend smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 30 2013, 12:16 PM
Well, at least you didn't advise me to give up guitar.
Will work on it and get back to you.thanks

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 1 2014, 06:58 PM
Instructor
That;s not my purpose smile.gif Remember - the better You get...the more people demand from You smile.gif And...because I had a pleasure to listen to some really cool track from You I would like You to keep that level smile.gif I think it's normal - we have better and worse days for composing. This will never be different...no matter how long You will play...but at some point to have to make yourself some restrictions and learn how to judge yourself in case of playing. I'm sure You will figure out something cool - just give Yourself some time smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Jan 4 2014, 12:10 AM
Hey Darius.Bit of a gear question for you. I have an Egnater Rebel 30 head & 1x12 cab. This head has a silent record option( through built in simulated cab).Egnater website has sound bites of "silent record" which maintains the amp tone. Other users have expressed their satisfaction with recorded tone. Unfortunately I seem to get completely altered tone (which you expressed your dislike for on a previous recording). I assume Im doing something wrong somewhere.
XLR cord from amp to M-Audio Fast Track interface into Macbook-Reaper(no FX). Any thoughts. Thanks Tony
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 7 2014, 04:31 PM
Instructor
1. You have to make sure if this amp has a speaker simulation on the direct out
2. You have to make sure You don't use any additional guitar FX (amp or cab sim) for this cab.
3. You have to make sure Your m-audio see Your guitar out as a line in...not a microphone input. It might cut some freq because of different sensivity of input.

Good idea would be to try to connect it to a jack line in. Probably a good idea would be to connect it to the jack slot of M-audio.

If none of this are problem then it's all about the eq setting and input gain on m-audio.

Could You try to describe with details how do You feel that "wrong tone" What's wrong precisely?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Jan 9 2014, 10:24 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 7 2014, 03:31 PM) *
1. You have to make sure if this amp has a speaker simulation on the direct out
2. You have to make sure You don't use any additional guitar FX (amp or cab sim) for this cab.
3. You have to make sure Your m-audio see Your guitar out as a line in...not a microphone input. It might cut some freq because of different sensivity of input.

Good idea would be to try to connect it to a jack line in. Probably a good idea would be to connect it to the jack slot of M-audio.

If none of this are problem then it's all about the eq setting and input gain on m-audio.

Could You try to describe with details how do You feel that "wrong tone" What's wrong precisely?

Hi Darius.I made short vid providing as much info on setup as I could think of . Footage with guitar is sound of amp just picked up by handycam.Sound during vid of Eq is full volume on Macbook again recorded by handycam.The volume here(even with headphones)is really low. If I were to use amp to record a collab,I struggle to get enough volume to match backing track even if I reduce backing track vol.The guitar gain on M-Audio interface is maximum before I get RED light indicating 'clip."Turning volume up on amp helps a bit but seems to alter tone.Im not sure if I need to use something else in Reaper to fix this volume problem.
My aim is to use amp as much as possible. Might as well since I forked out all those dollars for it.The amp has such a great range of dynamics(if I could only control them) and I want to develop ability to control unwanted string noise as well. It seems that it is much easier to use and play with plugins etc but then if play with friends etc and cant control amp,I'll be limiting myself.
This amp does have speaker emulation on direct out.No additional guitar fx used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNagslT0gQ
Thanks Tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 9 2014, 11:45 AM
Instructor
Very well prepared overview of the setup. I think this is the problem indeed. Your guitar's signal is digitally distorted on the audio interface input. It's natural that backing track have high volume. They are most likely compressed to 0 dB to "smash" the dynamics and get highest possible volume of the track. Now guitar guitar has a huge dynamic response so we usually need to lower the input on the recording device. I just wonder is it really possible that You cannot make the backing track silent with DAW track volume. This is weird.

If I understand correct when You tweak amp volume it affects the direct line level too?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Jan 10 2014, 09:42 PM
Hey Darius.Shot another vid. All sound recorded on handycam, not computer.
1st is through amp.
2nd demo is shot of mix console. Same amp/interface settings(as live amp) but into Reaper.Note huge volume loss even with max master.lot less clarity.
3rd increase vol on amp significantly but same interface settings. Louder but differnt tone. Fuzzier?
4th same settings as 3rd but decreased interface guitar gain.
What you think.Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Amia6eDHQ...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 11 2014, 12:50 PM
Instructor
It took me 20 minutes to watch and replay a few times, doing pause and looking at the screens. I'm not able to say too much about the tone because cam doesn't give a reference point to judge the tone.

All I can say now is that I see some headroom either for winter tune volume as for the guitar track. All the master level is good: -15 dB is usually a good master value to avoid any clips. We can always restore the track volume but using limiter, maximizer, compressor at master track (but we do this as a final stage) .

Try to keep the rule - no clipping (red lights) on the guitar track (set the output volume so You can feel it doesn't make any weird changes to the tone through direct out. Guitar tone is a priority. Even if You feel the level of guitar is low... You can always use a volume boost plug-in in reaper.

To help me batter understand how the tones changes I need You to send me audio file (mixdown) of all those 4 situations. It would be best if You could just press REC button and mess with the audiointerface gain + amp settings. Of course before doing this write down those settings so I could tell You at which point of Your audio mixdown the tone relation is best. I could also see the level in my DAW.

One more note...I think it could be better for the mix if You could set the EQ on your amp to 12 o'clock (now I see a huge treble cut). Passive EQ in amps work the way that if You mess with one knob, it affects other freq range as well. At the mixing stage You can make the treble cut by moving LOw Pass Filter point until You feel satisfied with the tone but...under the "treble" knob on Your amp there are some juicy highs mids also (not only the highs) It's better to decide later about how much You want to cut those.

Waiting for Your audio sample with detailed description

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:03 AM