3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Ac/dc Style Rythm And Solo
Gert1973
Jul 20 2023, 11:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Monica,

I have been studying and practising the rythm part of this lesson. Everything is clear to me. Except one little thing I can not get my hands on 100%.

Slow video number 5: The 4th bar starts with the E-powerchord one downstroke not muted (quarter note). Then you have a pause before you have 13 downstrokes (eight notes) and build up the sound from muted to totally unmuted.

It's the pause between the quarter note and the first 8 note where I have some trouble with. I can not seem to find the right timing. I tried out some things like counting measures but I can not find it. I try to 'feel' the pause and most of the times I get it right. But I'm guessing there must be another way to always get the perfect start of the 13 'eight notes' downstrokes.

Have a good day!

Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 20 2023, 12:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jul 20 2023, 10:51 AM) *
Hello Monica,

I have been studying and practising the rythm part of this lesson. Everything is clear to me. Except one little thing I can not get my hands on 100%.

Slow video number 5: The 4th bar starts with the E-powerchord one downstroke not muted (quarter note). Then you have a pause before you have 13 downstrokes (eight notes) and build up the sound from muted to totally unmuted.

It's the pause between the quarter note and the first 8 note where I have some trouble with. I can not seem to find the right timing. I tried out some things like counting measures but I can not find it. I try to 'feel' the pause and most of the times I get it right. But I'm guessing there must be another way to always get the perfect start of the 13 'eight notes' downstrokes.

Have a good day!

Gert

Hi Gert!

I took a look at the lesson and I understand where you have the problem. smile.gif

First, you don't have there a pause. On the first strike, you have a dotted quarter note (which means the value of 3 eight notes).
To make the counting easier on that particular bar, in the moment when you strike the first power chord, start counting 1, 2, 3 and then on 4 start playing the rest of the notes (eight notes). To match this to good timing, the counting of 1, 2, 3 must be made as fast as you will play the next 13 eight notes with downstrokes.
Let me know if my explanation clarifies your problem. wink.gif

Have a great day!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jul 20 2023, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 20 2023, 01:51 PM) *
Hi Gert!

I took a look at the lesson and I understand where you have the problem. smile.gif

First, you don't have there a pause. On the first strike, you have a dotted quarter note (which means the value of 3 eight notes).
To make the counting easier on that particular bar, in the moment when you strike the first power chord, start counting 1, 2, 3 and then on 4 start playing the rest of the notes (eight notes). To match this to good timing, the counting of 1, 2, 3 must be made as fast as you will play the next 13 eight notes with downstrokes.
Let me know if my explanation clarifies your problem. wink.gif

Have a great day!

Hi Monica,

Thanks for getting back to me. I now understand there's not a pause but it's the duration of the quarter note. I have although already tried to count but I never get past the count of 2. Before I can count 3, the first 8 note already has to be played.

I can make it work by looking at the pulse of the backing track where I can see clear where I have to start the eight notes. So that works pretty good. But I just want to figure out how I can have a perfect timing if I don't have the pulse in front of me laugh.gif

I'm not at home now but I will have a try to count until 3 on the pace of the eight notes (and play the first eight note on count 4) and do stroke 2 and 3 'in the air' and on 4 start the first 8 note.

I keep you posted!

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 20 2023, 05:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jul 20 2023, 02:44 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Thanks for getting back to me. I now understand there's not a pause but it's the duration of the quarter note. I have although already tried to count but I never get past the count of 2. Before I can count 3, the first 8 note already has to be played.

I can make it work by looking at the pulse of the backing track where I can see clear where I have to start the eight notes. So that works pretty good. But I just want to figure out how I can have a perfect timing if I don't have the pulse in front of me laugh.gif

I'm not at home now but I will have a try to count until 3 on the pace of the eight notes (and play the first eight note on count 4) and do stroke 2 and 3 'in the air' and on 4 start the first 8 note.

I keep you posted!

Cheers,
Gert

No, it's not a simple quarter note. It's a quarter dotted note. If it was just a quarter note, it would be written "Q". On the tab from the lesson, this note is written "Q." That point near the Q means a quarter dotted note.
1 quarter note = 2 eight notes
1 quarter dotted note = 3 eight notes
This dotted note gave you trouble. biggrin.gif

To understand better, replace in your mind that quarter dotted note, with 3 eight notes. Then add the next 5 eight notes that you have in the bar. So, the total in the bar will be 8 eight notes.

Don't worry, when you arrive at home and you apply my previous explanation, you will understand perfectly how the counting is made. The issue will be fixed immediately. wink.gif

One more thing....don't forget to count fast (eight notes in 4/4 time). This means that in a bar you need to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Have a great practice time!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 1 2023, 02:27 PM
Hi Monica,

Here's my first take of this new lesson. I did the whole lesson because you know that's my thing tongue.gif

I really like to play this lesson and I was thinking about it breaking the rhythm part and the solo part up into 2 pieces. But the solo part went really smooth while I was learning it. So I kept going on and practiced the whole lesson.

Here's the result...

Analysis:
0-1.05: I have paid attention to the muting part and the correct positioning of my fretting hand. Specially the thumb on the low E-string to not let it ring. I can not hear any big mistakes in this part.
1.07: unwanted string noise
1.34: that chord should sound better
1.43: I misted the 7th fret on the slide
1.45: I think it's the correct pitch (or a few cents above or underneath biggrin.gif )

I'm very satisfied with this take. There are no big mistakes. Of course there are some things that needs to be improved... as you will tell me laugh.gif

But one BIG question!! What do you think of the SOUND of this lesson?? I'm curious about that in particular wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 1 2023, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 1 2023, 01:27 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Here's my first take of this new lesson. I did the whole lesson because you know that's my thing tongue.gif

I really like to play this lesson and I was thinking about it breaking the rhythm part and the solo part up into 2 pieces. But the solo part went really smooth while I was learning it. So I kept going on and practiced the whole lesson.

Here's the result...

Analysis:
0-1.05: I have paid attention to the muting part and the correct positioning of my fretting hand. Specially the thumb on the low E-string to not let it ring. I can not hear any big mistakes in this part.
1.07: unwanted string noise
1.34: that chord should sound better
1.43: I misted the 7th fret on the slide
1.45: I think it's the correct pitch (or a few cents above or underneath biggrin.gif )

I'm very satisfied with this take. There are no big mistakes. Of course there are some things that needs to be improved... as you will tell me laugh.gif

But one BIG question!! What do you think of the SOUND of this lesson?? I'm curious about that in particular wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Great to see your first take over this lesson. smile.gif

Let's first answer your question. The sound is good. It's a little dark compared with the tone that Darius has, but it's proper for this lesson. smile.gif

The rhythm part sounds awesome!!! You know, all our hard work (previous AC/DC lesson) for muting and hitting the strings hard is paying off. I'm so happy how cool this part sounds.
You know, I think Darius would be very proud of you. smile.gif

So...for the rhythm part, besides the things that you pointed out, I have only one complaint. Be careful at the part from 1:05 - 1:12 and don't rush.

The solo part. This requires a lot of work because it has many details that would be very hard for you. I will not mention all of them today because it would be too much and our purpose is to make you able to play and understand them. wink.gif

1:45 - this bend is totally wrong. You played this lower with a semitone. biggrin.gif

1:46 - 1:51 - after you hit the bend 4 times, you need to start releasing the string very slowly. But don't release the string completely (at the point 0 of the string) as you did in the take. You need to release just 1 semitone.
Without releasing the string completely from that semitone lowered you need to go directly on the C note (G string/fret 5). At the end of this C note, you need to make a fast down bend.
It's not hard, it is similar to what you did at 1:56 when you played again the C note.

1:56 - now let's elaborate a little more this down bend. Hit first the note, count 1-2 and then start to execute the down bend. This bend should be audible as an ornament played at the end of the note.

2:00 - 2:04 this part needs to sound more glued. Don't cut the sound after the bend. Be careful at the right hand and don't stop the string earlier.
Also, take a look at Darius' left hand and watch carefully how he pushes the string with the ring finger and how take this off from the string.

BTW I love that you understood how you must pick and stop the string between the pick strokes (1:46 - 1:52). This part is almost perfect from the dynamics point of view. smile.gif

About the vibrato....we will fix this after you manage the details that I pointed out. Let's make the solo sound good and then we go further.

You did an amazing work today and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 1 2023, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 1 2023, 05:19 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Great to see your first take over this lesson. smile.gif

Let's first answer your question. The sound is good. It's a little dark compared with the tone that Darius has, but it's proper for this lesson. smile.gif

The rhythm part sounds awesome!!! You know, all our hard work (previous AC/DC lesson) for muting and hitting the strings hard is paying off. I'm so happy how cool this part sounds.
You know, I think Darius would be very proud of you. smile.gif

So...for the rhythm part, besides the things that you pointed out, I have only one complaint. Be careful at the part from 1:05 - 1:12 and don't rush.

The solo part. This requires a lot of work because it has many details that would be very hard for you. I will not mention all of them today because it would be too much and our purpose is to make you able to play and understand them. wink.gif

1:45 - this bend is totally wrong. You played this lower with a semitone. biggrin.gif

1:46 - 1:51 - after you hit the bend 4 times, you need to start releasing the string very slowly. But don't release the string completely (at the point 0 of the string) as you did in the take. You need to release just 1 semitone.
Without releasing the string completely from that semitone lowered you need to go directly on the C note (G string/fret 5). At the end of this C note, you need to make a fast down bend.
It's not hard, it is similar to what you did at 1:56 when you played again the C note.

1:56 - now let's elaborate a little more this down bend. Hit first the note, count 1-2 and then start to execute the down bend. This bend should be audible as an ornament played at the end of the note.

2:00 - 2:04 this part needs to sound more glued. Don't cut the sound after the bend. Be careful at the right hand and don't stop the string earlier.
Also, take a look at Darius' left hand and watch carefully how he pushes the string with the ring finger and how take this off from the string.

BTW I love that you understood how you must pick and stop the string between the pick strokes (1:46 - 1:52). This part is almost perfect from the dynamics point of view. smile.gif

About the vibrato....we will fix this after you manage the details that I pointed out. Let's make the solo sound good and then we go further.

You did an amazing work today and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

Hi Monica,

The first part (rhythm) feels indeed natural because of the previous easy AC/DC lesson. The rhythm part is 3/4 of the whole lesson. I was surprised when I came to the solo part, I was already down 75% of this lesson laugh.gif

The reason why I asked about the tone... a few days ago I had a visit from a friend. He's also guitar player and in a band for many many years. He's also an IT guy and knows one or two things about musical software. So I was telling about Kefir and the LePou plugins (Hybrid and LeXtac). He searched the internet (in a very different way that you and I do) and he could not find Kefir. He confirmed what we already knew. Kefir is gone and was designed for Window. There were options to run it on Mac but that's very technical and I did not understand what he was talking about. But he came up with an alternative for Kefir (Nadir). I told him I already have Nadir installed. But I did not have the LePou plugins. So long story short... laugh.gif I have Hybrid and LeXtac up and running! So the sounds for this lesson is made with LeXtac and the IR Catharsis s-preshigh in Nadir. So maybe now you can tell me what I have to tweak a little bit to come even closer to Darek's tone?

I have also tried the settings for the alternative picking lesson from Darek but that sound is totally different. So I don't know what's going on there... maybe I spend some more time trying to figure it out. But I'm happy with the sounds I'm using until now.

About the Winter ballad... I have spend some time already on that lasson but it's a hard one. I learned the first 5 bars but still needs some more practice before I will post a take.

Thursday I'm off for a holiday with my daughter for one week. And I will not take a guitar with me this time laugh.gif I'm going to take a break playing guitar for one week. I think it's a good thing taking a rest and restart after the holiday.

So it will take a few weeks before you will see a new take from me wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 1 2023, 07:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 1 2023, 03:54 PM) *
Hi Monica,

The first part (rhythm) feels indeed natural because of the previous easy AC/DC lesson. The rhythm part is 3/4 of the whole lesson. I was surprised when I came to the solo part, I was already down 75% of this lesson laugh.gif

The reason why I asked about the tone... a few days ago I had a visit from a friend. He's also guitar player and in a band for many many years. He's also an IT guy and knows one or two things about musical software. So I was telling about Kefir and the LePou plugins (Hybrid and LeXtac). He searched the internet (in a very different way that you and I do) and he could not find Kefir. He confirmed what we already knew. Kefir is gone and was designed for Window. There were options to run it on Mac but that's very technical and I did not understand what he was talking about. But he came up with an alternative for Kefir (Nadir). I told him I already have Nadir installed. But I did not have the LePou plugins. So long story short... laugh.gif I have Hybrid and LeXtac up and running! So the sounds for this lesson is made with LeXtac and the IR Catharsis s-preshigh in Nadir. So maybe now you can tell me what I have to tweak a little bit to come even closer to Darek's tone?

I have also tried the settings for the alternative picking lesson from Darek but that sound is totally different. So I don't know what's going on there... maybe I spend some more time trying to figure it out. But I'm happy with the sounds I'm using until now.

About the Winter ballad... I have spend some time already on that lasson but it's a hard one. I learned the first 5 bars but still needs some more practice before I will post a take.

Thursday I'm off for a holiday with my daughter for one week. And I will not take a guitar with me this time laugh.gif I'm going to take a break playing guitar for one week. I think it's a good thing taking a rest and restart after the holiday.

So it will take a few weeks before you will see a new take from me wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Awesome!!! smile.gif You know, I had the feeling that it sounded like Bogner Ecstasy because of the dynamic response. biggrin.gif The Lextac simulator is based on Bogner Ecstasy XTC amplifier.
The part from the lesson that I told you that is almost perfect from the dynamic point of view, could not respond in the same way without this kind of tone setting. A lot of bite with minimum gain. Welcome to the Poulin family. laugh.gif

The Poulin Hybrit simulator has two Marshall amps in one: The MCJ channel emulates a JCM800, and the PLS channel emulates a Plexi Super Lead 100.

Nadir is a perfect alternative for Kefir. A few weeks ago, I spoke with Darius about Nadir and he told me that works great. smile.gif

At this moment, don't change the sound for this lesson (AC/DC). Your tone is a little dark because you also have different pick-ups than Darius (and different pick-ups that I have). But this doesn't matter because your tone has the same type of "bite" and this is exactly what we need for this lesson. Believe me, it's more than perfect!!!! cool.gif
If at some point we feel the need to make some tweaks to the tone, we can use a parametric EQ (this will allow us to make thin cuts without drastic changes to the tone).
I have from Darius 2S EQ by 2nd Sense Audio. We used this a few times. From what I know, you can find this for Mac.
But...I don't think we will use this EQ in this AC/DC lesson.

About the tone from the alternate picking lesson. The tone that you use now is good and fits with the lesson. You don't need to change it.
But....if you want to make similar settings as are in the lesson, you need that 2S EQ (Q filter plugin that Darius used is actually 2S EQ wink.gif )
Besides the settings that are written in the lesson, you also need to add FX on your chain. Darius used stereo delay and reverb from Cubase.

Yes, the winter ballad is not easy (that was the idea laugh.gif ). It sounds easy because of the tempo. Learn first a few bars. Don't force yourself to learn the whole lesson because it will not work. biggrin.gif

You deserve a one week break from playing. smile.gif I wish you an amazing holiday, rest yourself and make many pictures. Enjoy the time with your daugther. smile.gif

Have a great week!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Aug 1 2023, 07:07 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 2 2023, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 1 2023, 08:00 PM) *
Awesome!!! smile.gif You know, I had the feeling that it sounded like Bogner Ecstasy because of the dynamic response. biggrin.gif The Lextac simulator is based on Bogner Ecstasy XTC amplifier.
The part from the lesson that I told you that is almost perfect from the dynamic point of view, could not respond in the same way without this kind of tone setting. A lot of bite with minimum gain. Welcome to the Poulin family. laugh.gif

The Poulin Hybrit simulator has two Marshall amps in one: The MCJ channel emulates a JCM800, and the PLS channel emulates a Plexi Super Lead 100.

Nadir is a perfect alternative for Kefir. A few weeks ago, I spoke with Darius about Nadir and he told me that works great. smile.gif

At this moment, don't change the sound for this lesson (AC/DC). Your tone is a little dark because you also have different pick-ups than Darius (and different pick-ups that I have). But this doesn't matter because your tone has the same type of "bite" and this is exactly what we need for this lesson. Believe me, it's more than perfect!!!! cool.gif
If at some point we feel the need to make some tweaks to the tone, we can use a parametric EQ (this will allow us to make thin cuts without drastic changes to the tone).
I have from Darius 2S EQ by 2nd Sense Audio. We used this a few times. From what I know, you can find this for Mac.
But...I don't think we will use this EQ in this AC/DC lesson.

About the tone from the alternate picking lesson. The tone that you use now is good and fits with the lesson. You don't need to change it.
But....if you want to make similar settings as are in the lesson, you need that 2S EQ (Q filter plugin that Darius used is actually 2S EQ wink.gif )
Besides the settings that are written in the lesson, you also need to add FX on your chain. Darius used stereo delay and reverb from Cubase.

Yes, the winter ballad is not easy (that was the idea laugh.gif ). It sounds easy because of the tempo. Learn first a few bars. Don't force yourself to learn the whole lesson because it will not work. biggrin.gif

You deserve a one week break from playing. smile.gif I wish you an amazing holiday, rest yourself and make many pictures. Enjoy the time with your daugther. smile.gif

Have a great week!

Hi Monica,

If the sound from the AC/DC lesson is good enough then I will not change it. Gives me more time to practise instead of losing time with tweaking the sound laugh.gif

And also same for the tone of the alternate picking lesson. It's interesting to try to have the same sound by applying the given setting for the tone. It took me about 10 minutes and that's ok for me. But also trying to find the 2S EQ and the FX from Cubase will take more time I guess... So if the sound is good enough... then it's good enough for me too biggrin.gif

About the winter ballad... believe it or not but it was my plan to learn the first 5 bars and not the whole take this time tongue.gif

So I will post a take shortly after my holiday!

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 2 2023, 03:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 2 2023, 12:15 PM) *
Hi Monica,

If the sound from the AC/DC lesson is good enough then I will not change it. Gives me more time to practise instead of losing time with tweaking the sound laugh.gif

And also same for the tone of the alternate picking lesson. It's interesting to try to have the same sound by applying the given setting for the tone. It took me about 10 minutes and that's ok for me. But also trying to find the 2S EQ and the FX from Cubase will take more time I guess... So if the sound is good enough... then it's good enough for me too biggrin.gif

About the winter ballad... believe it or not but it was my plan to learn the first 5 bars and not the whole take this time tongue.gif

So I will post a take shortly after my holiday!

Cheers,
Gert

We will have a better image of your tone when you will play the lesson at a faster tempo. At this moment, you can focus only on playing. wink.gif
Yes....tweaking the tone is time consuming. I know this very well. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 2 2023, 12:15 PM) *

Hahaha...that's a good strategy. laugh.gif Five bars are enough for the start. We will learn this lesson step by step. wink.gif

Take care of you and see you after your holiday.

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 17 2023, 03:35 PM
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take on the solo part of the AC/DC lesson. Because that part needs a lot of work.

I have tried to fix the issues you've pointed out...

9: I think I have a good pitch now
10-16: I have counted 4 upstrokes before depending a semitone and then go to C. Picking the string and stop it is still going good as in the first take.
I have tried to make a fast down bend on both C-notes.
24-28: I think an improvement on this part
35: the vibrato here needs improvement. But that was somting for later on you said... biggrin.gif

Ok, let me know what issues I have to work on wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 17 2023, 05:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 17 2023, 02:35 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take on the solo part of the AC/DC lesson. Because that part needs a lot of work.

I have tried to fix the issues you've pointed out...

9: I think I have a good pitch now
10-16: I have counted 4 upstrokes before depending a semitone and then go to C. Picking the string and stop it is still going good as in the first take.
I have tried to make a fast down bend on both C-notes.
24-28: I think an improvement on this part
35: the vibrato here needs improvement. But that was somting for later on you said... biggrin.gif

Ok, let me know what issues I have to work on wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

It's great that you played only the solo part. We need to work this separately.

I like the fact that you fixed some of the things that I pointed out. The down bends sound good now. smile.gif

0:09 - the first bend. When you hit this first time (downstroke), it sounds correct, but at the first upstroke you lower the string 1-2 cents and it doesn't have a good pitch anymore. Take a close look at your hand and you will notice this problem.

0:09 - 0:16 - It's great that you counted 4 upstrokes before going down with the pitch. Now we have clarified which is exactly the moment when the lowering of the pitch starts. smile.gif
But....you still go down with the pitch too much and that is not ok.
Don't go lower than the pitch you have at the 9th upstroke from your take.
Look at Darius' hand and you will see how tiny he moves the string when lowering the pitch of the bends. You need to lower the string cent by cent.
Also, after the last upstroke, when you need to go and play the C note (G string/5th fret), your middle finger should let the string go down with a very fast movement. We need to let in the ears of the listener the sound of D note (we don't literally play this note...it's just an ornament). For this detail, I need you to let the string push your finger down without stopping it in the D note.
Imagine that after you pushed up the string to keep the bends in pitch, now you relax your fingers and the string goes to the point zero exactly at the moment when you are ready to play the C note.

0:24 - 0:28 - I can hear an improvement but these bends still don't sound glued enough. You stop them. For this type of bends you need to change the mechanism a little.
Push the string with both fingers (middle and ring finger...as you do in the take), but after you reach the pitch, your fingers needs to act in a different way. This time I need you to put your fingers (middle and ring), "swim backwards".
Push the string and "swim backwards" (of course don't exaggerate with the swimming laugh.gif ). In this way, the string will ring longer.
Compare how Darius removed his fingers from the string (slow video no 9) and how you remove your fingers. You will see exactly what I'm talking about.
I know these bends aren't easy but....don't worry, you will succeed in making them.

0:36 - this bend doesn't has a perfect pitch (a few cents).

For next time, try to fix the details that I pointed out. It's hard at the beginning, but once you understand all these details, you will be able to make a killer take. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 24 2023, 02:19 PM
Hi Monica,

I have been working on the solo and here is a new take on the solo part.

7: maybe I should let it ring a little bit longer before going to the bend?
8-15: I think the bend, the dynamics and letting the bend go slowly, has improved
16: I could not fully understand or hear what you wanted me to do here. So I tried to go to C as fast as possible.
24-28: I think I have figured out the back swim on these bends here biggrin.gif

I think this take is an improvement.

Let me know where I need to do some more work...

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 24 2023, 03:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 24 2023, 01:19 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I have been working on the solo and here is a new take on the solo part.

7: maybe I should let it ring a little bit longer before going to the bend?
8-15: I think the bend, the dynamics and letting the bend go slowly, has improved
16: I could not fully understand or hear what you wanted me to do here. So I tried to go to C as fast as possible.
24-28: I think I have figured out the back swim on these bends here biggrin.gif

I think this take is an improvement.

Let me know where I need to do some more work...

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

First of all, your guitar sounds out of tune (mostly the G and B strings). tongue.gif

0:07 - yes, you need to let these notes ring longer before to start the bend.

0:08 - 0:15 - this part is highly improved. The dynamics it's great and that's why this part really shines. smile.gif
Now you let the pitch go down slowly but not enough. Don't lower the pitch more than you have it at 0:13. This means that you need to minimize the movement of the hand even more.

0:16 - actually you succeeded in managing this detail quite nicely. Now, you go faster in C and that is awesome. I'm proud of you. smile.gif

0:24 - 0:28 - l can notice an improvement but we are still far from what we need. Practice this kind of back swimming a little more. The problem occurs when you take off the finger from the string. That's the moment when you cut the sound.
Hmm....I will try to make you a different explanation. wink.gif
Imagine that, with your right hand, you need to use your finger instead of the pick. This means that your finger needs to pluck the string to make it ring.
Now, for our detail, make a bend without to touch the string with the pick. Just move the string up with your finger without making any kind of noise. Now, without using the pick, you need to make the string ring when you take off the finger from it. How do you solve this? By making a "pull off" in the opposite direction. This will help you fix the hand movement for this particular section.

About your left hand index finger (0:24 - 0:28). Put this finger to press both strings like Darius did. Don't keep it rounded because when you change the pressure from one string to another, you stop making the notes sound overlapped and we don't want this to happen.

Overall, you are going in a good direction. smile.gif Try to fix the details that I pointed out and everything will sound much better.

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 25 2023, 10:06 AM
0:24 - 0:28 - l can notice an improvement but we are still far from what we need. Practice this kind of back swimming a little more. The problem occurs when you take off the finger from the string. That's the moment when you cut the sound.
Hmm....I will try to make you a different explanation. wink.gif
Imagine that, with your right hand, you need to use your finger instead of the pick. This means that your finger needs to pluck the string to make it ring.
Now, for our detail, make a bend without to touch the string with the pick. Just move the string up with your finger without making any kind of noise. Now, without using the pick, you need to make the string ring when you take off the finger from it. How do you solve this? By making a "pull off" in the opposite direction. This will help you fix the hand movement for this particular section.

About your left hand index finger (0:24 - 0:28). Put this finger to press both strings like Darius did. Don't keep it rounded because when you change the pressure from one string to another, you stop making the notes sound overlapped and we don't want this to happen.

Hi Monica,

Aaaah ok... I think I understand the mechanism now!

Just one follow up question...

The reason why the G-string stops ringing is because I mute the G-string with my index when it comes back to 0. I mute the G-string when I put my index on the B and high E-string 5th fret. I looked at Darius and I thought he was muting the string with his index finger on the B and high E-string.

But I guess that's not the idea? I have to let the G-string ring after the 'pull off' when the G-string comes down to 0?

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 25 2023, 11:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 25 2023, 09:06 AM) *
Hi Monica,

Aaaah ok... I think I understand the mechanism now!

Just one follow up question...

The reason why the G-string stops ringing is because I mute the G-string with my index when it comes back to 0. I mute the G-string when I put my index on the B and high E-string 5th fret. I looked at Darius and I thought he was muting the string with his index finger on the B and high E-string.

But I guess that's not the idea? I have to let the G-string ring after the 'pull off' when the G-string comes down to 0?

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Yes, you understood correctly, the G string must be muted with the tip of the index finger. smile.gif The only issue is the fact that you stop the G string earlier than you should.
This happens because you don't let the string return to point zero. If you look closely at your take, on the release point the G string is in the bend position. This is wrong and appears because you have the index finger rounded and positioned higher.
When you will press both strings together (B and E) with your index finger, it will achieve the correct position and will let the G string return to point zero.

This is how it looks in your take the G string at point zero: biggrin.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Aug 25 2023, 11:51 AM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Aug 30 2023, 03:50 PM
Hello again Monica,

This take was on my schedule today wink.gif

I have tried to fix the issues from the previous take...

10-15: How about lowering the pitch now? I was focused on lowering the pitch and I think it loses a bit on the dynamics.
24-28: I have practiced this part very much because it was the biggest issue I had or have to fix.

You told me my G- and B-string were out of tune the last time. I had tuned them before recording. But I guess for some time now I have an issue with the G-string.
Next week I'm seeing my teacher again. I'm going to ask him to look at this guitar because my G-string is hitting against the fret board and it needs to be fixed. So maybe that's the reason why it sounds out of tune. I can see my G-string is getting in tune difficultly when I'm tuning it. And my strings aren't that old...

Have a great evening!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 30 2023, 04:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Aug 30 2023, 02:50 PM) *
Hello again Monica,

This take was on my schedule today wink.gif

I have tried to fix the issues from the previous take...

10-15: How about lowering the pitch now? I was focused on lowering the pitch and I think it loses a bit on the dynamics.
24-28: I have practiced this part very much because it was the biggest issue I had or have to fix.

You told me my G- and B-string were out of tune the last time. I had tuned them before recording. But I guess for some time now I have an issue with the G-string.
Next week I'm seeing my teacher again. I'm going to ask him to look at this guitar because my G-string is hitting against the fret board and it needs to be fixed. So maybe that's the reason why it sounds out of tune. I can see my G-string is getting in tune difficultly when I'm tuning it. And my strings aren't that old...

Have a great evening!

Gert

Hi again Gert!

Yes, it seems that your G string has an issue. It still sounds out of tune and, from what you say, it's definitely not because of the strings.

About your take, I can say that I'm impressed by the fact that you fixed all the problems. Great work!!! smile.gif

0:10 - 0:15 - the lowering of the pitch is perfect now. The dynamics is a little bit lost, but I understand why. Don't worry about it. It's much more important the fact that you fixed the issue from this spot.

0:24 - 0:28 - the first bend has a wrong pitch (too low) tongue.gif but the rest of the bends are played great. You succeeded in fixing the most important problem and I'm very proud of you. This is exactly how I wanted to see you playing this part and it's absolutely awesome!!! smile.gif

0:36 - beautiful raking

I have no complaints this time. biggrin.gif You applied everything I told you and the result is great. You did a really awesome work!!! smile.gif

For next time (because you can play the rhythm part very good at this speed), raise the tempo a little (5 - 10 BPM). But...prepare both parts (rhythm + solo). biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Sep 10 2023, 03:26 PM
Hi Monica,

Here's a new take of the AC/DC lesson at 70bpm (10 more then the previous one wink.gif )

Analysis:
12: unwanted string noise
13: unwanted string noise
0-58: the strumming part goes well again smile.gif
59-1.04: this part needs some improvement
1.05-1.28: no issues spotted
1.36: missed 1 upstroke
1.44-1.48: those bends are going good I think
1.57: no raking

I'm happy with this take. The mistakes I made do not happen all the time so they are not big issues. Just the middle part 59-1.04 needs some work.

Await your feedback!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 10 2023, 04:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Sep 10 2023, 02:26 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Here's a new take of the AC/DC lesson at 70bpm (10 more then the previous one wink.gif )

Analysis:
12: unwanted string noise
13: unwanted string noise
0-58: the strumming part goes well again smile.gif
59-1.04: this part needs some improvement
1.05-1.28: no issues spotted
1.36: missed 1 upstroke
1.44-1.48: those bends are going good I think
1.57: no raking

I'm happy with this take. The mistakes I made do not happen all the time so they are not big issues. Just the middle part 59-1.04 needs some work.

Await your feedback!

Gert

Hi Gert!

You came up with a great take!!! Also, your analysis is good as always. smile.gif

I really like how awesome the rhythm part sounds. Take care at 0:57 - 1:04. As you already pointed out, this part needs more work. At this moment, it doesn't have a good dynamics. You need to make a very visible crescendo.
On the first 4 strikes, your pick needs to softly touch the strings. The more strikes you make, the more force you need to add on the pick. When you release the palm muting, it's the moment where you need to use the maximum of the picking strength.

1:44 - this bend doesn't have a perfect pitch.

1:48 - 1:50 - in this section your left hand looks very tense. Try to minimize finger movements a little.

You did an amazing work. I like very much how this lesson started sounds and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, you can raise the tempo with 10 BPM. biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:33 AM