Reaper + Midi Question
Chris S.
Jul 14 2015, 05:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello again!

I've run into a slight (annoying would probably be a better term) issue when using MIDI in Reaper.

So I use Sample Tank 3 as my main VSTi when I need some midi instruments/synth sounds. Instead of having run ST3 on each track (which uses A LOT of my RAM this way) I make one track as the "MIDI Master Track" where as you can see in this image I just use whatever instruments I need and assign them to their own respective MIDI channel.

Attached Image

And then what I do is I create a track for each instrument and set the MIDI input to that channel - so when I insert a MIDI item to that track it will play the notes using the instrument I assigned in the "MIDI Master Track".

The problem that I run into is that any changes I make to the specific track doesn't apply to that track. Take this screen shot for example:

Attached Image

You can that track called "Piano" is playing but if you look at the Mixer console at the bottom of the screen you will notice that the meters only move on the "MIDI Master Track" track.

Now this is fine and dandy since you can adjust the Levels and Pan inside of ST3 (as you can see in the first screenshot) but the problem I am running into is if I want to do a Fade-in or Fade-Out, Track Automation or use FX that aren't built into the ST3 plugin.

For example I have a bongo track - the the built in Reverb sounds terrible so I want to apply Reaper's built in Reverb but if I select the bongo track and apply the FX it doesn't actually apply it to the track. I would have to apply it to the "MIDI Master Track" but then there would be Reverb on every instrument from screenshot 1.

I was wondering if there is a work around for this?

I know that I can render a wav file for the midi tracks and then import them back into their own track and apply FX or fades and such this way - but this is kind of a longer process and you can't make changes in real time. For example: if I wanted to change a note from the piano part I would have to delete the wav file, make the changes to the midi track, render a new wav file and then re-import the new wav file.

I was just hoping there is an easier way?

Sorry if none of this makes any sense sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 14 2015, 05:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 14 2015, 08:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 14 2015, 05:28 PM) *
Hello again!

I've run into a slight (annoying would probably be a better term) issue when using MIDI in Reaper.

So I use Sample Tank 3 as my main VSTi when I need some midi instruments/synth sounds. Instead of having run ST3 on each track (which uses A LOT of my RAM this way) I make one track as the "MIDI Master Track" where as you can see in this image I just use whatever instruments I need and assign them to their own respective MIDI channel.

And then what I do is I create a track for each instrument and set the MIDI input to that channel - so when I insert a MIDI item to that track it will play the notes using the instrument I assigned in the "MIDI Master Track".

Now this is fine and dandy since you can adjust the Levels and Pan inside of ST3 (as you can see in the first screenshot) but the problem I am running into is if I want to do a Fade-in or Fade-Out, Track Automation or use FX that aren't built into the ST3 plugin.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense sad.gif
I don't see a bongo track int the screen shot . Does it have it's own channel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jul 14 2015, 08:17 PM

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 14 2015, 08:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 14 2015, 07:16 PM) *
I don't see a bongo track int the screen shot . Does it have it's own channel

It's the track called percussion - on the first screen shot the Bongo is set to ch. 16 - so I created a track and set its input as MIDI channel 16.

But any fx/fades/volume adjustments/panning applied to the track doesn't do anything - only the "Master Midi Track".

Same goes for any other track tied to it (Piano/Strings/etc)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 14 2015, 09:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
I only see ten tracks, does it have its own track in reaper, if it does , you should be able to do what you want . I am puzzled as well

all your channels, including midi, should register on their own meter, I am trying to think how it should be routed

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 14 2015, 09:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 14 2015, 08:13 PM) *
I only see ten tracks, does it have its own track in reaper, if it does , you should be able to do what you want . I am puzzled as well

all your channels, including midi, should register on their own meter, I am trying to think how it should be routed

i think it has something to do with drawing the midi from Track 1.

Even though there is a separate track for each instrument it it is drawing it's sound source from "master midi track".

Just not sure if there is a way around this.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 14 2015, 09:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 14 2015, 09:24 PM) *
i think it has something to do with drawing the midi from Track 1.

Even though there is a separate track for each instrument it it is drawing it's sound source from "master midi track".

Just not sure if there is a way around this.

can you send the source from midi to the bongo channel

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 15 2015, 01:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 14 2015, 08:35 PM) *
can you send the source from midi to the bongo channel

I also love the fact that every once and a while when I open the project up in Reaper all of the instruments are no longer listed in Sample Tank so I have to reload the instruments I used backed into the appropriate channel slots dry.gif mad.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 15 2015, 02:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 15 2015, 01:52 AM) *
I also love the fact that every once and a while when I open the project up in Reaper all of the instruments are no longer listed in Sample Tank so I have to reload the instruments I used backed into the appropriate channel slots dry.gif mad.gif

Reaper has some quirks. I usually right click and open as administrator, this reduces them

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:16 PM