Learn The Solo To Ilios Pt 4
Ben Higgins
Jul 16 2015, 10:00 AM
Instructor
Welcome to the final part of the solo from my song, Ilios. It's been a fun ride but it has to end here at the last note!

So, make sure you're warmed up before you dive in because the last part is busy and requires some stretchy finger positions towards the end.

In the previous part, we had just climbed up an E arpeggio which left us on the B string. Luckily our next section begins on the B string too and it is an open string lick which uses hammer-ons and pull-offs to achieve its sound.

Attached Image

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_4.gp5 ( 9.59K ) Number of downloads: 134

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_4.pdf ( 183.68K ) Number of downloads: 178

This section can be divided into 4 note licks and the technique is simple. Pick the first note, hammer on then pull off again. Then release to sound the open B string. That's the 4 note sequence that you will move down and up through the F#m scale.

The hardest thing to explain about this section is the timing so I won't try. Just listen to it and you'll get it. Because the technique isn't hard it won't take long before you can play it up to speed so you'll be able to play along with my solo and get it in the right place. Sound like a plan? Good.

After you've played the open string section you will move onto the last 2 shapes of the solo. This is probably the hardest bit so I hope you've saved all your energy for it!

Attached Image

The licks span 2 strings this time but the technique is very similar, with an extra hammer-on instead of a pull-off. So you would pick the first note, hammer, pull, hammer onto the B string. So you're only picking once at the very beginning of each group of 4. The timing is the same as the open string section as well but the stretches make it much harder because it saps your stamina a lot quicker.

Obviously the answer is to spend plenty of time working on these shapes at a sedate tempo, allowing your fingers to get accustomed to the new demands being asked of them. Be prepared to spend over a week just getting used to the stretches themselves let alone building speed. It's better to be cautious and avoid injury.

The last note is just a semitone bend which gradually gets pushed up just before the note stops.

Done!

I hope you manage to get some ideas and inspiration from this solo, enjoy!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 22 2015, 12:32 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Thank you for being so generous and taking the time tab to this out and to add the commentary. Yes, this has been a source of inspiration!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 22 2015, 08:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 21 2015, 11:32 PM) *
Thank you for being so generous and taking the time tab to this out and to add the commentary. Yes, this has been a source of inspiration!

Glad to hear it!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:31 PM