Building Lead Guitar Skills
steve25
Mar 7 2009, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
For the last, well i guess 6 months i've been pretty much focusing on rhythm guitar, and i have to say it has worked. My riffs have improved and i have to thank GMC members for part of that for the help along the way. I have better rhythmic ideas and although i think i've still got a long way to go as far as arranging is concerned it is improving at least.

This means i've been abandoning lead guitar stuff and i only really know a couple of solos and that's it. One of them is from here on GMC. I'd like to know what some good solos to start on would be. I'm going to be making a practice schedule that'll hopefully involve some techniques that i can practice but i'd like to be able to play something as well. Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
steve25
Mar 7 2009, 11:45 PM
Unfortunatly at the moment the only way i can do GMC lessons is to learn them by ear, which is fine i guess but unable to see text. But i can work them out i guess. Yeah i think maybe making a backing track might help but i'm not great at that either but i suppose i have to practice making my own solos at some point. I like a lot of different styles of solos to be honest so anything that sounds good to me smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 8 2009, 12:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Mar 7 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Unfortunatly at the moment the only way i can do GMC lessons is to learn them by ear, which is fine i guess but unable to see text. But i can work them out i guess. Yeah i think maybe making a backing track might help but i'm not great at that either but i suppose i have to practice making my own solos at some point. I like a lot of different styles of solos to be honest so anything that sounds good to me smile.gif

Learning by ear can be very rewarding and beneficial experience so you are only gaining there. Downside is it may take you longer then guys who read tabs but in long run your ear will be more improved for sure compared to all of them wink.gif

What kind of recording software do you use ?
Making backing tracks will help you understand role of other instruments in whole band. Guitar part is one thing , bass is closest you can get to guitar, piano is also similar but different in range and then its a whole other story on drum parts.
Give it a go, you have nothing to loose, and feel free to ask any questions Steve smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 8 2009, 12:33 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 8 2009, 01:11 AM) *
Learning by ear can be very rewarding and beneficial experience so you are only gaining there. Downside is it may take you longer then guys who read tabs but in long run your ear will be more improved for sure compared to all of them wink.gif

What kind of recording software do you use ?
Making backing tracks will help you understand role of other instruments in whole band. Guitar part is one thing , bass is closest you can get to guitar, piano is also similar but different in range and then its a whole other story on drum parts.
Give it a go, you have nothing to loose, and feel free to ask any questions Steve smile.gif

Yeah i've been advising people to learn by ear as i've been seeing the benefits. Although some stuff is really hard. I use some ear training software as well but at the moment it's just recognising notes (at the moment the notes in A minor pentatonic). I will also at some point upload some riffs i've done but i'd like to make a full track to upload to GMC.

To be honest i hear leads and stuff in my head over a full backing and i think how can i hear that sutff :S but it's cool that i do. A lot of the time though they include fast runs that i've no chance of playing right now. But i'd like to be able to play those things

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:46 PM