Deftones Style
Gert1973
Jan 10 2024, 02:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica (and Dan laugh.gif),

Here we are again with the start of a new lesson! I have spend about 5 hours to learn the new lesson and to produce this first take. The lesson feels much easier then let's say the alternate picking lesson which took me at least 14 days to learn the whole lesson by heart.

I really like the sound of this lesson. Although I (shameful) had never heard of Deftones before, I love to play this lesson! First time I play with the guitar in a different tuning (drop D). The lesson does not have very difficult parts as there're just 3 parts that repeat themselves a few times. So I was surprised I could learn the lesson in a few hours, especially compared to some of my previous lessons laugh.gif

Here's the first take!

Analysis:
I can be very brief about the analysis.
The rythm part feels like it's going well. I don't have timing issues (maybe just at the very end but I'm not sure).
The vibrato needs work biggrin.gif Although it's not that bad I think tongue.gif
But I will work on the vibrato separately...

Let me know if I can raise tempo or not, hahahaha

Cheers,
Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 10 2024, 02:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 10 2024, 01:03 PM) *
Hi Monica (and Dan laugh.gif),

Here we are again with the start of a new lesson! I have spend about 5 hours to learn the new lesson and to produce this first take. The lesson feels much easier then let's say the alternate picking lesson which took me at least 14 days to learn the whole lesson by heart.

I really like the sound of this lesson. Although I (shameful) had never heard of Deftones before, I love to play this lesson! First time I play with the guitar in a different tuning (drop D). The lesson does not have very difficult parts as there're just 3 parts that repeat themselves a few times. So I was surprised I could learn the lesson in a few hours, especially compared to some of my previous lessons laugh.gif

Here's the first take!

Analysis:
I can be very brief about the analysis.
The rythm part feels like it's going well. I don't have timing issues (maybe just at the very end but I'm not sure).
The vibrato needs work biggrin.gif Although it's not that bad I think tongue.gif
But I will work on the vibrato separately...

Let me know if I can raise tempo or not, hahahaha

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Great to hear that you love this lesson. Mostly because we will definitely have fun with it in the rehearsal room. laugh.gif Dan already started learning the bass line. laugh.gif So....we are going to have a lot of fun this year. biggrin.gif

Yes, at first view this lesson feels much easier, but at full speed things will become more complicated because it requires a very, very tight playing.

Your take sounds very promising. smile.gif

The vibrato is not bad for a first take, but needs more work. You need to make this wider and deeper. Apply the same technique as we used on Winter Ballad.

2:45 - 3:23 - in this part you need to be careful at the motion and the strength of your right hand. We need to hear all the notes very well. You have moments where some notes get lost in the mix. Add just a little more strength to your right hand but without minimizing the hand motions.

I'm very satisfied with how your first take sounds. For next time definitely, you can raise the tempo. biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 15 2024, 04:44 PM
Hello Monica (and Dan on the bass!),

Already a new Deftones take on 'the beast' laugh.gif ! I have been practicing and hopefully improving the vibrato's! I also added a little more force at the end to hear all the notes and I think it's an audible improvement.

Enjoy the take...

Await your judgement as always... cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 15 2024, 06:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 15 2024, 03:44 PM) *
Hello Monica (and Dan on the bass!),

Already a new Deftones take on 'the beast' laugh.gif ! I have been practicing and hopefully improving the vibrato's! I also added a little more force at the end to hear all the notes and I think it's an audible improvement.

Enjoy the take...

Await your judgement as always... cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Hahaha...a new Deftones take. laugh.gif It's obvious that you really love this lesson. laugh.gif

You came up with a really nice take. You started to improve the vibrato (it is not perfect yet) and this is awesome because it changed the entire feel of the take.
Also, I like the fact that you added more strength at the end and now we can hear the notes more clearly. smile.gif

There are a few things that need a little more attention:

Timing - there are moments where you tend to rush a little (1:47, 1:52, etc). Be careful of the length of the notes and don't cut them too early.

0:24; 0:37; 0:51, etc. - Stretch your left hand fingers more. Avoid any kind of jumping with the hand when you switch between pinky finger to index finger.

Left hand - you need to always keep your index finger (left hand) in touch with the strings. At this moment, your index finger does ballet in the air. laugh.gif Look, we use the index finger for muting. When you don't play with it, move it on the A string.
Take a close look at Darius and you will understand perfectly how you should keep your index finger.

2:28 - remove your middle finger from the string at the last moment. I hear a pause in your take and that is wrong. Keep your middle finger longer on E note/G string) and then put your ring finger to play the next note (F note/G string).
Attached Image

3:01 - be careful at the last strike when you mute the last 3 strings with your left hand. Do this in a gentle way because we don't want to hear a hammer-on made by your left hand (as happened in your take tongue.gif ). We just need to mute the strings (don't press them).

For next time, try to fix the details that I pointed out. Also, you can raise the tempo a little more (I let you decide how much). biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 24 2024, 04:49 PM
Hi Monica,

Guess what... I chose +10 bpm biggrin.gif

Again a Deftones take as announced wink.gif

I have worked some more at the vibrato's. In the main video Darius performs 2 oscillations. In the slow video's he does more. So I stick to 2 oscillations.

About the 'stretching'... I have stretched my index more but now it looks like I even do a bigger 'jump' laugh.gif
I have looked at Darius and he makes more like a slide. Maybe I should try that?

Anyway... here's the take...

I have fixed the strumming part where I have no pause anymore between E-note and F-note. Also I touched the strings very gently at the last strum biggrin.gif

And I also have tried to fix to keep the index finger on the A-string to mute that string.

Let me know your remarks!

Cheers,
Gert

(BTW... is Dan keeping up with the speed? biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 24 2024, 06:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 24 2024, 03:49 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Guess what... I chose +10 bpm biggrin.gif

Again a Deftones take as announced wink.gif

I have worked some more at the vibrato's. In the main video Darius performs 2 oscillations. In the slow video's he does more. So I stick to 2 oscillations.

About the 'stretching'... I have stretched my index more but now it looks like I even do a bigger 'jump' laugh.gif
I have looked at Darius and he makes more like a slide. Maybe I should try that?

Anyway... here's the take...

I have fixed the strumming part where I have no pause anymore between E-note and F-note. Also I touched the strings very gently at the last strum biggrin.gif

And I also have tried to fix to keep the index finger on the A-string to mute that string.

Let me know your remarks!

Cheers,
Gert

(BTW... is Dan keeping up with the speed? biggrin.gif )

Hi Gert!

Awesome...we have a new really nice Deftones take from you. smile.gif

Hahaha...yes Dan already plays at 75% speed. biggrin.gif

I like the fact that you chose to raise the speed with only 10 BPM. Tiny steps bring great results because they help us in building solid techniques. wink.gif

It's obvious that you worked on vibrato and it definitely sounds better but...the number of oscillations that you chose to execute is wrong and this made your riffs sound unfinished. Two oscillations will never ever fit good into this backing track. laugh.gif
In the main video, Darius performs between 3 - 4 oscillations (depending on the riff). If you slow down the main video, you will clearly see this detail.
In the slow videos, it's normal to execute more oscillations due to the speed. biggrin.gif
Anyway, to solve the vibrato, count in this way: play the note on 1 and then make 3 oscillations on 2, 3, 4.

Stretching - your left hand definitely looks better (not perfect yet). At least I don't see your index finger in the air anymore and that is amazing.
Also, the fact that you practiced and you now keep your index finger on the A string is awesome. It makes me very happy to see such a huge improvement between takes. smile.gif

About the slide movement that you mentioned. Yes, visually it looks like Darius moved his hand like in a slide, but he did not actually do a slide. You can try to let your hand slip, but keep in mind to not make an audible slide in the take.

This time you touch the strings gently on the last strum. I like it! smile.gif

I'm very satisfied by your take. You did a great work!!!!!

Once you will achieve a faster speed we need to think a little at the tone. We need to have the same dynamic response as at your AC/DC lesson. This is essential for the REC.
If you play this lesson on your beast, I think we need to do some experiments and cut a little from the gain. If you don't want to make tone modifications, the other guitar of yours will fit better on this track.
Your beast will fit amazingly in more metal lessons (I already have a few in mind biggrin.gif ). Anyway, we will speak about the tone when you will be very close to playing at full speed.

For next time, you can raise the tempo again. biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 7 2024, 05:09 PM
Hello again Monica,

Here's another Deftones take!!

I have practiced a lot on the vibrato's. But they still need more work and practice.

Analysis:
31: this note was not clear enough
1.23: only 2 oscillations here on the vibrato

No big mistakes spotted. As already mentioned the vibrato's needs more work.

Await your comments cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 7 2024, 06:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 7 2024, 04:09 PM) *
Hello again Monica,

Here's another Deftones take!!

I have practiced a lot on the vibrato's. But they still need more work and practice.

Analysis:
31: this note was not clear enough
1.23: only 2 oscillations here on the vibrato

No big mistakes spotted. As already mentioned the vibrato's needs more work.

Await your comments cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi again Gert!

You are definitely going in a good direction with this lesson. smile.gif There are a few things that need a little more polish.

1. The more you raise the tempo, the more I can hear that the tone is not a good one. It doesn't have a proper dynamic response. I really believe that this lesson will sound much better if you will use the same guitar and tone as in your AC/DC lesson. This would be a ready-made solution, because I know you don't like to lose time doing experiments and tweaking your current tone. biggrin.gif

2. Vibrato - it looks much better, but let first the note sound and then execute the oscillations. In your take you start directly with the oscillations and this does not give a nice sound. Don't forget to count (play the note on 1 and then make 3 oscillations on 2, 3, 4).

3. When you play the sections with full powerchords (when you play on the first 3 strings), be careful to touch the D string better. You have moments where this string can't be heard very well.

4. Be careful at accents and at the equality of the notes when you make the upstrokes.

Overall, your take sounds nice. I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, you can raise the tempo. biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 22 2024, 01:10 PM
Hi Monica,

Here i am with another take on this Deftones lesson!

I have focused some more on the vibrato's and I think they sound better now.

Here's the take:

I have listened carefully and in this take I can not hear any audible mistakes (note wise wink.gif )

Await your judgement as always biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 22 2024, 02:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 22 2024, 12:10 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Here i am with another take on this Deftones lesson!

I have focused some more on the vibrato's and I think they sound better now.

Here's the take:

I have listened carefully and in this take I can not hear any audible mistakes (note wise wink.gif )

Await your judgement as always biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

Gert

Hi Gert!

You came up with a nice take. smile.gif

Yes, you are right, your vibrato sounds much better today. I like the fact that you fixed the issue and now you play first the note and then start the oscillation.
One single objection in this area, be careful when you make the oscillations to let the string return to the point zero.

Focus on your left hand when you play the full power chords sections and minimize the finger movements. Keep your index finger near the strings and don't make that jump with it when you move your hand to play on the 5th, 3rd frets.

Here is your index finger ready to jump (and....your pinky finger is almost resting on the desk). laugh.gif laugh.gif
Attached Image

Take a close look at Darius and try to copy the same fingers position.
Avoid making things much more complicated than they are. biggrin.gif To achieve a higher speed, we need to make you avoid unnecessary finger movements.

You did a great work! This lesson started to sound nice. smile.gif

For next time, you can raise the speed.

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 4 2024, 02:08 PM
Good afternoon!

A new take on this Deftones lesson at 110bpm wink.gif

I have worked some more at the vibrato's. Maybe there's a little improvement although still need more practice.

I have tried not to backflip my pinky anymore tongue.gif but you said that I needed to stretch my finger more laugh.gif

Here's the take

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 4 2024, 03:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 4 2024, 01:08 PM) *
Good afternoon!

A new take on this Deftones lesson at 110bpm wink.gif

I have worked some more at the vibrato's. Maybe there's a little improvement although still need more practice.

I have tried not to backflip my pinky anymore tongue.gif but you said that I needed to stretch my finger more laugh.gif

Here's the take

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Hahaha...yes, I said to stretch your fingers more but I thought you would do this on the opposite side (horizontal not vertical side). laugh.gif

I like the fact that your take sounds nice from the timing point of view. That's great!!! smile.gif

Now let's point out a few things that need more work:

1. What I really don't like is the fact that your left hand still doesn't look good. Same as in your previous take, your index finger doesn't stay close to the strings and you tend to jump too much with it when you play the full power chords sections. You have not fixed this issue yet. tongue.gif

2. Your playing doesn't sound fluent. You tend to make pauses between some particular notes. Mostly when you move your index finger from 8 to 7 fret. These two notes should sound legato. For this to happen you need to pay attention to both your hands. Pick harder with the right hand and move your left index finger at the last moment. The movement should be smooth without jumping and without playing the note shorter than it should be.

3. You don't play all the notes equally. Besides the fact that the "jumping" from your left hand doesn't let you do this, you don't use an equal strength in your right hand when you pick the strings. Apart from the accented notes that should sound stronger, the rest of the notes must have a perfectly equal sound. This means more attention to strength management while picking.

4. About your vibrato....you need more work because it doesn't look good. Your hand is too tense and the oscillations aren't executed in a good way.

For next time you can raise the tempo with 10 BPM but please fix all the issues that I pointed out. I hope the higher speed will force you to minimize left-hand movements. biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 23 2024, 01:17 PM
Hi Monica,

As announced, I have prepared a new take of the (forgotten lesson by you tongue.gif ) Deftone style lesson at 120bpm!

Here's the take:

I think this take has an improvement in the notes sounding more legato compared with the previous one. Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif
But when I look at the take, I'm still too tensed when executing the vibrato. So there's still work to do...

I don't think there aren't any rhythm issues.

Have a great day!
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 23 2024, 02:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 23 2024, 12:17 PM) *
Hi Monica,

As announced, I have prepared a new take of the (forgotten lesson by you tongue.gif ) Deftone style lesson at 120bpm!

Here's the take:

I think this take has an improvement in the notes sounding more legato compared with the previous one. Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif
But when I look at the take, I'm still too tensed when executing the vibrato. So there's still work to do...

I don't think there aren't any rhythm issues.

Have a great day!
Gert

Hi Gert!

Definitely, this take has some visible improvements. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 23 2024, 12:17 PM) *
Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif

Hahaha...and this is just a kind of trailer for what will come into your next lessons. biggrin.gif Don't worry, in a short period, your middle name will be multitasking. laugh.gif

Let's start to analyze your take.

1. The notes sound more legato but....I still hear some pauses and not all the notes are played equally.
To fix the pause issues, we will change a little the fingering. Every time when you need to move your index finger from 8 to 7 fret, use your middle finger to play the note from fret 8 (the one that I highlighted in the tab) and then use your index finger to play the note from fret 7.
Attached Image
The rest of the fingering will remain the same.
Also, be careful and don't play the notes shorter (7th fret).

2. I still don't like how your index finger looks when you play the full power chords sections (0:35 -0:50 and 1:07 - 1:22). Please try to keep your index finger close to the strings. Don't make jumps with it. It should stay in a muting position.

3. Vibrato - as you said, you are too tensed when you do this. Also, the oscillations are missing. You try to vibrate the string but the result is not what we want.
BUT...I like the fact that you play first the note and then you start the oscillations (actually in your take you just "shake" your finger laugh.gif ). Also, the fact that you return to point zero is a good step which improved the pitch of vibrato. smile.gif

4. In the sections 1:31 - 1:34 and 1:43 - 1:46 be careful of the string noises. Put your index finger to mute correctly the strings that should not be heard.

For next time, remain at the same speed and try to fix all the issues that I pointed out.

Have a great weekend and an excellent holiday!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:54 AM