Visited Actual Recording Studios?
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2017, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
In the age of HOME RECORDING, many of the traditional Recording Studios have just gone out of business. However, there are a few of them left!! One of my old Profs from Art Institute who taught Audio Production (Jim Zumpano, worked with Whitney Houston when she was still selling records), started his own studio called TREE SOUND. I visited him there one day and took some pix. It's a great place and reminded me of the "Magic" you feel in a studio. It's a different vibe than home recording for sure. It's also a heck of lot more expensive! Anyone ever been to a facility? If so share your pix!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 9 2017, 06:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
back in the day when I was in a band we recorded a CD in a proper studio. It was one of the best things Ive ever done. Loved every minute of it. I was just playing rhythm and recorded my parts quite fast but even just hanging about in the control room while other stuff was being done was too cool. Wish I could do it again biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 9 2017, 07:14 PM
Los Angeles obviously has a ton of studios. This is one of the more iconic ones I've been fortunate to visit. Sunset Sound/Sound Factory in Hollywood ... http://www.sunsetsound.com/?page_id=68

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 9 2017, 07:15 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 9 2017, 10:28 PM
It's not easy for somebody to simply visit a big studio but if anyone hasn't visited one near them yet (no matter how high-end) is making a huge mistake.

low to mid. priced studios are usually very welcome for random visits Once you meet the owner/engineer you'll never know how helpful it can be on the long run. Want to form a band? want info on cheap gear thats not online yet? discover new local bands and even make friends who are deep into music?

And these are just a few examples, many legendary recording engineers first step was started like this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2017, 05:16 AM
When I recorded with GNOSTIC @ LED BELLY SOUND it was the same type of thing smile.gif MASTADON had recorded there before us and the place was small but just felt like magic. The engineer was very cool and the whole thing was just fun. LedBelly Sound is a great place to record, especially if you are doing heavy music. There are just not that many places in this state the focus on Heavy Music believe it or not. They have a rate of $50 per hour.

http://ledbellysound.com/
Attached Image

Attached Image

I hope I get to do it again as well smile.gif
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 9 2017, 01:07 PM) *
back in the day when I was in a band we recorded a CD in a proper studio. It was one of the best things Ive ever done. Loved every minute of it. I was just playing rhythm and recorded my parts quite fast but even just hanging about in the control room while other stuff was being done was too cool. Wish I could do it again biggrin.gif

Now that is a freaking Studio!!!! Look at the sheer size of that console! I was in L.A. with a buddy a while back and visited a place that had the first touch screen pro tools setup. I can't even remember the name of the place. Of course it's common now with things like the RAVEN MTS which is quite spiff smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 9 2017, 02:14 PM) *
Los Angeles obviously has a ton of studios. This is one of the more iconic ones I've been fortunate to visit. Sunset Sound/Sound Factory in Hollywood ... http://www.sunsetsound.com/?page_id=68

Attached Image

Attached Image

Very good point!! If you live anywhere near a facility, go introduce yourself and ask about their rates, ask for a quick tour, and get to know them. They still serve as centers of gravity for music and musicians and they are a conduit to meeting new people. So if you have not ventured out, do it!

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 9 2017, 05:28 PM) *
It's not easy for somebody to simply visit a big studio but if anyone hasn't visited one near them yet (no matter how high-end) is making a huge mistake.

low to mid. priced studios are usually very welcome for random visits Once you meet the owner/engineer you'll never know how helpful it can be on the long run. Want to form a band? want info on cheap gear thats not online yet? discover new local bands and even make friends who are deep into music?

And these are just a few examples, many legendary recording engineers first step was started like this...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:31 AM