4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Competition Entries
Steve Gilfield
Aug 21 2020, 10:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah I've read that their necks are huge, but then again, Gilbert's hands are gigantic biggrin.gif

Same thing with Wylde's Gibsons; a few people I know, bought one and did not like the thickness of the neck.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 20 2020, 11:28 PM) *
Good eye!!! Yup that's a pgm complete with pink F holes smile.gif It was a very fun guitar. Like many in my collection, somebody offered way to much money for it and I had to accept. i do miss here though. I'm always on the lookout for one to replace her. Played great! Neck was a bit thicker than I expected but nothing too crazy. Here is a one handed guitar solo I did on that axe. Gotta say it almost played itself. Very light string tension and great sustain. Responded to even the lightest touch. The only other guitar that I've played along that line is my ancient rg560.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2020, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
Gilbert has crazy huge hands for sure. Also his pinky is as long as his first finger! He has crazy long fingers which helps him quite a bit. He probably needs the thicker neck just to have it to counter balance his gigantic hands smile.gif Some folks say the thicker necks aid in tuning stability and sustain, but I've never been a big fan of thick necks. I had always wanted to try a PGM, like you, I'd see Paul ripping it up and wanted to try one ever since. It was a fun guitar, but a bit too different than what I'm accustomed to.

I wonder if Zakk's own line of guitars have thick necks as well? I'm guessing yes smile.gif Some folks like that baseball bat feeling! I'm just not one of them.

I also always wanted a scalloped guitar. I tried a cheap chinese knockoff once, but I don't think that was a good example. Didn't keep it very long.

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 21 2020, 05:04 AM) *
Yeah I've read that their necks are huge, but then again, Gilbert's hands are gigantic biggrin.gif

Same thing with Wylde's Gibsons; a few people I know, bought one and did not like the thickness of the neck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 21 2020, 08:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
My cousin has the Malmsteen model so I got to try it a few times.
At first it feels weird because there is no wood under your fingers biggrin.gif
Also your tips of your fingers get slashed way easier and faster.
But the more you play with it, the more you get accustomed, and oh my God, bending and vibrato is soo much easier!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2020, 06:48 PM) *
I also always wanted a scalloped guitar. I tried a cheap chinese knockoff once, but I don't think that was a good example. Didn't keep it very long.

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2020, 01:14 AM
I've searched for years and have yet to see a real Yngwie fender in a guitar shop. I figured I'd have run across one by now. No such luck. I thought they were fairly common guitars. Maybe I've just missed them in the store. Still want to try one smile.gif our found KRIS DAHL has a scalloped guitar and he works wonders on it. I've always liked big tall frets that give a semi scalloped feel. I'm still on the lookout for a scalloped Ibby smile.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 21 2020, 03:44 PM) *
My cousin has the Malmsteen model so I got to try it a few times.
At first it feels weird because there is no wood under your fingers biggrin.gif
Also your tips of your fingers get slashed way easier and faster.
But the more you play with it, the more you get accustomed, and oh my God, bending and vibrato is soo much easier!

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 22 2020, 10:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2020, 12:14 AM) *
I've always liked big tall frets that give a semi scalloped feel. I'm still on the lookout for a scalloped Ibby smile.gif

Check out Warmoth website; they make some great stuff, and have tons of options!
My sea-foam green guitar is entirely made from Warmoth and it has those tall frets you mentioned.
For way less, you get a custom shop guitar with the specs you want.
Their customer service department is very helpful and help you understand all the little details about necks/bodys etc.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2020, 07:51 PM
I"ve always liked the warmoth line. I replaced a neck on an old Kramer with a warmoth at one point and the guitar played way better. I thought the stock neck was fine until I put a warmoth neck on it.

Did you have your axe scalloped after you got it or did you get it that way?

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 22 2020, 05:20 AM) *
Check out Warmoth website; they make some great stuff, and have tons of options!
My sea-foam green guitar is entirely made from Warmoth and it has those tall frets you mentioned.
For way less, you get a custom shop guitar with the specs you want.
Their customer service department is very helpful and help you understand all the little details about necks/bodys etc.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 23 2020, 08:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2020, 06:51 PM) *
Did you have your axe scalloped after you got it or did you get it that way?

The scalloped neck was build from scratch from a local guitar luthier.

The Warmoth neck is not scalloped but I put very tall frets so it feels as if it is scalloped.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2020, 04:29 AM
Thats very cool. That's a good luthier that can build a good scalloped neck from scratch. Some folks call themselves luthiers but they are really guitar techs. Luthiers can actually work with wood and steel to create something amazing. I've got big frets on both my ibanez guitars but they were stock. Some of the newer budget ibbys have frets that feel a bit smaller. The pricey ones still use the jumbo frets which is always a good thing imho smile.gif

I've been enjoying your youtube channel btw. Some very spiff solos on there!

Todd
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 23 2020, 03:45 PM) *
The scalloped neck was build from scratch from a local guitar luthier.

The Warmoth neck is not scalloped but I put very tall frets so it feels as if it is scalloped.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 24 2020, 09:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yes you are right; most people are more of a guitar-tech who can fix various problems on the instrument biggrin.gif

But the guy I am telling you about makes guitars from scratch; you can select whatever woods and specs you like and he will make it for you.

It's a very convenient custom shop you can just walk in on any day, and browse around, pick up stuff, and if he likes you, you might even get a lesson on how things are made smile.gif

I don't think you can do that on Fender's or Gibson's custom shop haha

Thank you so much for checking the videos out! I was bored during the 3 months quarantine so I was trying to pass my time by doing those videos hehe

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 24 2020, 03:29 AM) *
Thats very cool. That's a good luthier that can build a good scalloped neck from scratch. Some folks call themselves luthiers but they are really guitar techs. Luthiers can actually work with wood and steel to create something amazing. I've got big frets on both my ibanez guitars but they were stock. Some of the newer budget ibbys have frets that feel a bit smaller. The pricey ones still use the jumbo frets which is always a good thing imho smile.gif

I've been enjoying your youtube channel btw. Some very spiff solos on there!

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2020, 11:02 PM
Thats great that you have a real luthier close by!!! Not everyone is so lucky. That neck looks great! yeah, your vids are spiff!! keep it up!! i'll bet you win some of those competitions!!

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 24 2020, 04:33 AM) *
Yes you are right; most people are more of a guitar-tech who can fix various problems on the instrument biggrin.gif

But the guy I am telling you about makes guitars from scratch; you can select whatever woods and specs you like and he will make it for you.

It's a very convenient custom shop you can just walk in on any day, and browse around, pick up stuff, and if he likes you, you might even get a lesson on how things are made smile.gif

I don't think you can do that on Fender's or Gibson's custom shop haha

Thank you so much for checking the videos out! I was bored during the 3 months quarantine so I was trying to pass my time by doing those videos hehe

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 26 2020, 01:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep trying improving as much as time allows it hehe
Chances of winning these competitions are slim biggrin.gif
There are so many great bedroom guitarists out there, but it's fun nevertheless!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 25 2020, 10:02 PM) *
Thats great that you have a real luthier close by!!! Not everyone is so lucky. That neck looks great! yeah, your vids are spiff!! keep it up!! i'll bet you win some of those competitions!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2020, 02:33 AM
It's true there is a MASSIVE amount of competition these days. Still each solo you play makes you a better player and let's other people see what you are about! So keep it up!!

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 26 2020, 08:09 AM) *
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep trying improving as much as time allows it hehe
Chances of winning these competitions are slim biggrin.gif
There are so many great bedroom guitarists out there, but it's fun nevertheless!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 27 2020, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 1 2020, 10:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
So I have stumbled upon this competition, and it must be the toughest backing track to improvise on!!

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Sep 1 2020, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2020, 01:38 AM
Thats the most complex backing track I've ever heard in a contest. They usually make it a bit easier so that everyone can get in on it. This one is going to take serious thought and effort imho, in order to sound like it belongs with the backing. But a challenge can be a good thing smile.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 1 2020, 05:25 PM) *
So I have stumbled upon this competition, and it must be the toughest backing track to improvise on!!

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 2 2020, 04:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is another competition with a more guitar-friendly backing tracks tongue.gif

This one is nice since you get to choose which backing track you want to play along with!

SUHR Competition

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Sep 2 2020, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2020, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the share! Very cool backing!

Todd
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 2 2020, 11:04 AM) *
Here is another competition with a more guitar-friendly backing tracks tongue.gif

This one is nice since you get to choose which backing track you want to play along with!

SUHR Competition

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 13 2020, 08:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is another cool competition

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2020, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the Share!! Very cool contest.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 13 2020, 03:31 PM) *
Here is another cool competition

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 28 2020, 12:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
A few weeks ago I posted here about an online youtube collaboration.

Here is what happened in this Blues Jam

Did anyone else from here participated?

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Sep 28 2020, 12:28 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2020, 04:03 AM
Turned out really cool! Did you put in a take?

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 28 2020, 07:27 AM) *
A few weeks ago I posted here about an online youtube collaboration.

Here is what happened in this Blues Jam

Did anyone else from here participated?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:18 AM