New Guy, Amp Help, Need new amp, overwhelmed by choices
Noah B
May 31 2013, 12:26 AM
GMC:er
I have searched the post looking for the answer to" what amp do I get". the best answers to that seem to be the ones not made anymore like the avt50. I am a newbie, like the 80's-90's rock, Van Halen, Boston, Def Lep kind of sounds. The set up I have now is a Rogue sc80r and a boss me70 multi petal. Some days everything sounds ok and someday's it sounds like a cheep car speakers. If I can not find used, what are they making new that I could not go wrong with. looking to keep it under $1200usd. I like it loud, widows to rattle, I don't think I will ever be good enough to play a gig. all suggestions welcome.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SixStringSamurai
May 31 2013, 03:58 AM
GMC:er
It sounds like what you want is a hotrodded Marshall sort of sound. There are a couple of routes you can go:

Marshall - Marshall's own hotrod is the JVM, or you can go the old school way and find a JCM800 and boost/hotrod it.

Splawn Amps - most of the range are hotrodded Marshall flavours, which can cover Plexi/JCM/Hotrod/Super Hotrod gain ranges. Just find one that fits your price range and channel switching needs (or lack of).

Blackstar - again, many hotrodded Marshall flavours, but to be honest, most of the mid-range Blackstar stuff that I've played hasn't really been to my taste.

Laney - an old AOR series head/combo is very much like a JCM800, and if you pick one up for cheap, it'll be one of the more cost effective solutions.

Mesa - the Electradyne was touted as their answer to Marshall-style amps. It's a great sounding amp, much more straightforward than many Mesa amps, but it hasn't been selling that well worldwide so you may be able to get a cheap price on a dealer close-out sale somewhere.

Hope that helps a little!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SixStringSamurai: May 31 2013, 03:58 AM

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 31 2013, 10:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ May 31 2013, 02:58 AM) *
It sounds like what you want is a hotrodded Marshall sort of sound. There are a couple of routes you can go:

Marshall - Marshall's own hotrod is the JVM, or you can go the old school way and find a JCM800 and boost/hotrod it.

Splawn Amps - most of the range are hotrodded Marshall flavours, which can cover Plexi/JCM/Hotrod/Super Hotrod gain ranges. Just find one that fits your price range and channel switching needs (or lack of).

Blackstar - again, many hotrodded Marshall flavours, but to be honest, most of the mid-range Blackstar stuff that I've played hasn't really been to my taste.

Laney - an old AOR series head/combo is very much like a JCM800, and if you pick one up for cheap, it'll be one of the more cost effective solutions.

Mesa - the Electradyne was touted as their answer to Marshall-style amps. It's a great sounding amp, much more straightforward than many Mesa amps, but it hasn't been selling that well worldwide so you may be able to get a cheap price on a dealer close-out sale somewhere.

Hope that helps a little!

I would with You smile.gif Most of mentioned referance artists seems to base on Marshall type of tone. Eddie was playing plexi before the "peavey thing" smile.gif Much depends of how cruel You want to be for Yourself cause new 6505 is giving the kick even if You play softly...I think it's not a good reference amp to learn how to play on...

But...If You like amps that make everything come easy than go for it smile.gif)))

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:25 PM