Switching From Dual Core To I5 32 To 64 Bit Os, New device at home - tips?
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! Unfortunately time has passed and my good old PC is not that good anymore. When I was a teenager I was always up to date but now, when I'm almost 30 I feel like last 10 years have passed like a week.... (Those who still are teens - appreciate Your freedom and free time as much as possible!). I's been a while since I bought my last PC. It was fairly enough even for pretty advanced audio work but since I've started to work with full HD vids it became to be not good enough.

So Idecided to get new PC...but many things has changed. What is my main issue? I have so switch from XP to Seven - 32 to 64 bit now I need some tips.

Could You tell me if 4 GB Ram support is only a limitation of 32 bit system or when I install my old 32 bit programs on 64 bit system they will use max 4 GB anyway, even if I own more RAM? do I have to get 64 bit versions of all my previous software to make it use more power from new pc?

If I use 64 bit DAW it will not read 32 bit plugins? True or false? Dida test once when my friend bought Presonus interface and I did a configuration. It seemed we had to install 32 bit version of DAW to be able to use most of favourite plug-ins.

Who has some more expirience?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Nov 5 2013, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
A 32-bit program will still only use a max of 4GB of RAM. So yes, you will need 64-bit programs if you want to use more than 4GB.

It depends on the DAW. I've only used Cubase and Logic, both have a 'bridge' for using 32-bit plugins.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 12:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Nov 5 2013, 11:16 AM) *
A 32-bit program will still only use a max of 4GB of RAM. So yes, you will need 64-bit programs if you want to use more than 4GB.

It depends on the DAW. I've only used Cubase and Logic, both have a 'bridge' for using 32-bit plugins.

That's a great news! Thank You...I'm the Cubase guy, if that kind of bridge exists than it's what I'm looking for smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 5 2013, 12:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 5 2013, 12:41 PM) *
That's a great news! Thank You...I'm the Cubase guy, if that kind of bridge exists than it's what I'm looking for smile.gif

It will work without problem smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Thanx Ben!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 5 2013, 02:58 PM
BUY A MAC and forget all the problems biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2013, 03:19 PM
Hey Darius,

I've recently involved with a local private university that has many branches including film, classical and jazz music. They wanted a studio (or studio's, the details are in progress as its fairly new in development) capable of production quality album and soundtrack, jingle capabilities.

The movie department seems to be on mac so its very possible the studio will be on mac too. But the main thing is, the advisors (including me tongue.gif) all seem to agree on using minimum 8gb of ram even for the more basic operations/student computers.

I don't have much knowledge on film stuff but realized seems its time we 30ish year old pc guys should jump to the 64 bit world biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 5 2013, 03:19 PM) *
Hey Darius,

I've recently involved with a local private university that has many branches including film, classical and jazz music. They wanted a studio (or studio's, the details are in progress as its fairly new in development) capable of production quality album and soundtrack, jingle capabilities.

The movie department seems to be on mac so its very possible the studio will be on mac too. But the main thing is, the advisors (including me tongue.gif) all seem to agree on using minimum 8gb of ram even for the more basic operations/student computers.

I don't have much knowledge on film stuff but realized seems its time we 30ish year old pc guys should jump to the 64 bit world biggrin.gif

Ha ha smile.gif Thank You Mertay smile.gif You're right...it's time to leave the past behind. Problem is...we're not kids anymore and there is so much job, then the time amount for learning new things has really get smaller and smaller. I aware of how much time will take me to get things done - full packet of my everyday's tools.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 5 2013, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 5 2013, 01:58 PM) *

Macs are the False Metal of the computer world

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Nov 5 2013, 05:22 PM
I think you will find running 32 bit programs on a 64 bit system...will actually slow things down compared to running them on 32 bit system. So it would be better to get 64 bit versions of your programs to not go backwards. I started with a 32 bit system with 6 GB RAM on my PC..It would only use 4GB...so I got a 64bit system to use the extra 2 GB of RAM..I then got 64 bit programs. ph34r.gif

Edi:t I just read that some 32 bitprograms will run faster on 64 bit and some will run slower apparently the penalty being small...only 2 per cent..

So I have two bits of information which seem to be conflicting. I still think 64bit on 64bit works better.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Nov 5 2013, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2013, 11:30 PM
That's what I was going to say!! smile.gif But Macs are not everyone's cup of tea. So everyone has to pick their own poison smile.gif

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 5 2013, 09:58 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:08 PM