3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What Keys Do You Prefer?
Tolek
Apr 17 2009, 11:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 17 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Awesome list, Tolek! Maybe I'll use that one as a guideline tongue.gif

No problem. smile.gif One hint: follow your ear. That´s the best way of composing. When I start thinking theoretically, I end up with something that I´m not satisfied with. Usually, I need to hear a piece of music and get an idea. Then I HAVE to complete it during one session otherwise, I can´t complete it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 17 2009, 11:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 17 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Awesome list, Tolek! Maybe I'll use that one as a guideline tongue.gif

+1 biggrin.gif

I can't find C# minor (or Db minor) om that list though. But the description of B minor (which is my favorite key) was spot on smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 17 2009, 11:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Apr 17 2009, 12:41 PM) *
+1 biggrin.gif

I can't find C# minor (or Db minor) om that list though. But the description of B minor (which is my favorite key) was spot on smile.gif

Yeah, the list is incomplete. I don´t know why. But with certain key descriptions I have to agree as well, they´re pretty exact.
Strange thing: F# minor- A gloomy key: it tugs at passion as a dog biting a dress. Resentment and discontent are its language.
I used this key for my latest composition which is music for an RPG battle. biggrin.gif I think I won the lottery here. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Red
Apr 17 2009, 11:46 AM
GMC:er
I suppose i like G, A, D and E the most, both major and minor

--------------------
Guitars: Epiphone SG, a really bad Telecaster (First Electric), Acoustic guitar (Unknown brand).

Amplifier: Marshall MG 30DFX.

Soon to come: Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 17 2009, 01:54 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Apr 17 2009, 03:38 AM) *
No problem. smile.gif One hint: follow your ear. That´s the best way of composing. When I start thinking theoretically, I end up with something that I´m not satisfied with. Usually, I need to hear a piece of music and get an idea. Then I HAVE to complete it during one session otherwise, I can´t complete it.

I agree !

I usually end up writing in A when Im just following my heart and writing lyrics and singing to what I have written.

When I try writing with the sole purpose of writing in a specific key, the end result sounds to forced.
Like Im trying to hard to make music that is not really something I would usually write.

Look at Iron Maiden, im pretty sure they were pretty comfy in E Minor , but didnt venture to far out of that key.

But they turned out ok rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 17 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey smile.gif I'm quite new to this site, only 1 day since I registered.

I usually improvise in E-minor, using the pentatonic scale (with blues notes added) depending on the feel of the song, given that it TOO is in E-minor... tongue.gif Anyway, that's just when I'm jamming on my own not necessarily with a backing track or song in the background. I also use the natural minor scale for a slightly heavier tone.

However, if I have to improvise to other songs, I simply find what key it's written in, use that base-position in minor or pentatonic, and work myself around the fretboard like that. I'm still most comfortable moving around the base position/box and the two adjacent ones, but I do know the other ones so with a little reflection I can play them too. This, of course, I just need to get used to. I noticed someone said he memorises all the positions for each key, but I prefer knowing the concept and just apply it after knowing the song's key.

Oh, and I also use the harmonic minor, but mostly for quick ascents or trilling, kind of like the beginning of the "second" solo in Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns N' Roses).

Alexander smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
lee
Apr 17 2009, 08:31 PM
I use Em,Am,Dm,and the blues scale quite a bit.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 17 2009, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 17 2009, 08:34 AM) *
"D moinah.. The saddest of all keys" tongue.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor
I usually compose something in C, D, E, A, F or Bb major, but it is sometimes needed to adapt the key to singers vocal abilities, so I just transpose to any key if need to adapt. That's about it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Apr 17 2009, 11:18 PM
I just write stuff in the key it appears in my head, but it has, at least recently, been more D major and B minor than other. I don't know exactly why, but I guess I've been listening a lot to songs in those keys.

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 18 2009, 12:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
That's exactly the one I was going for, Sensible tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 18 2009, 01:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
Short answer here before going to bed:

In order:

C#m
Cm
G#m
A

Are my favorites, I think.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 19 2009, 01:56 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
E and A for me as well. I'm also a bit interested in how Keys correspond to your style or is it just the feeling of the moment? Great topic btw Marcus smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 19 2009, 07:37 AM
Instructor
For me, I've never actually thought about it so I guess it's just the feeling of the moment smile.gif

But I do sometimes keep in mind what the highest note is... since the highest note I can play on my guitar is the high E (bend from the 21st fret), that means it's a 3rd if the key is C# minor. It's a whole different thing if the key, for example, is A minor (since the highest note still is an E).

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 19 2009, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I often use E minor and A minor

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 19 2009, 08:29 AM
I love C and B minors (the latter one is because of Gilmour I think). I also like Eb major (relative scale of C minor). Sometimes F minor. When I'm in a minor mode, I sometimes raise the 7th half a step to get the harmonic minor flavor.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 19 2009, 12:09 PM
B C, Db E F# probably.
I guess it's because I am most comfortable with having my mainlicks about on the middle of the neck!

+Quote Post
Paiva
Apr 19 2009, 01:00 PM
C minor, E minor and Bb minor

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 19 2009, 01:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
For me.. Fb and Cb.... Haha, no I think It'd be Amin, Gmaj, Emin and Cmaj, or anything else... I actualy play all keys!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 19 2009, 02:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I quite like this key
Attached Image

but these keys have seen better days:
Attached Image

(sorry - obvious pun. Had to do it tongue.gif)
On a serious note, for jamming on guitar E and A major and their relative minors, just because they hold the familiar licks. Sure it's easy to transpose on guitar but when you've plays licks in those positions from day dot you don't have to think so much and can let your fingers do the talking. In a band context, I've had to get familiar with D minor (aeolian and harmonic) and it's domiant phyrgian since drop D tuning seems to be the tuning of choice for the band I'm in.
Also, B minor and its modes for the 7 string.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:33 PM