Teaching Tips
Darfuria
Nov 27 2008, 02:25 PM
GMC:er
Providing you know a small amount of theory (enough to be applied to the guitar), and you know your way around the guitar without getting confused, anyone is capable of giving lessons, providing they are good teachers.

I've worked in teaching, and I know a small amount of music theory - enough to teach people the basics. However, often the basics are the hardest to teach simply because you have to get a student to relate to the theory.

I've been teaching my girlfriend some theory behind what she is playing, as she can play the guitar, but she doesn't exactly know what she's playing. She'll look at me and ask what a G chord is, and I'll have to remind her. Her number one priority at the moment is learning to play barre chords, because she loves to learn her favourite songs, but obviously she gets a bit lost when she has to play things like F#m.

Bless her, though, she's dyslexic, and she doesn't have the biggest attention span, so getting anything across to her can be quite difficult. I spent last night trying to explain the notes of an octave so that she could recite E-E on the E string, and also got her to memorise the notes of standard tuning ("Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears" - other suggestions welcome). Obviously I don't want to teach her too much in one go, because that can be overwhelming. I'm not even struggling, really, with knowing what to say.

More than anything, I'd just like some tips.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:53 PM