Old Grey Whistle Test, Possibly Where It All Started
skennington
Jul 13 2008, 05:43 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Feeling dated here GMC'ers but felt I needed to expose the roots for those that don't know.Black Sabbath was born in the town of Birmingham, England in '68 and is thought by most to be the founder of metal. After there dismantle and the punk scene becoming ever popular, alot of people thought metal was dead. Then along came a band called Judas Preist, also from Birmingham who opened up a door of metal that was exiting to say the least. They brought a new twist to the riffs of old that was just great!

As the style became more popular, along came Iron Maiden with there twist as well which for me personaly was just awesome! And Still Is!

And so metal began.... And so I get to the Old Grey Whistle Test which was a BBC television show that started in the 70's and ran through the early 80's. It featured many of the greats that we love, so I wanted to recognize the show.

Here's a vid of JP that most won't even recognize. To see some great performers of the past, just go to the OGWT on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBnAhMDFdI

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 13 2008, 12:24 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 Steve - the OGWT, along with John Peel's radio show was pretty much part of the life of all of us music obsessed kids in the UK back in the 70s and 80s. OGWT pretty much pioneered the 'group playing live in the studio' music tv format. Without the OGWT chances are that there would be no MTV, Tube, Jools Holland etc. Some of the many outstanding performances that I recall from the OGWT include The Adverts, The Police, Bob Marley, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Robin Trower, Talking Heads, Robert Wyatt... Pretty much any one who was anyone played the OGWT.

For those that missed out (or who want to reminisce a bit) the Beeb has released a series of 'Best of the OGWT' on DVDs.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
whammysam
Jul 13 2008, 12:58 PM
GMC:er
I was reading about the Old Grey Whistle test lately. I was too young to view the original broadcast, but I watched the re runs some years ago. The show, as we know, was hugely popular and thats why all the greats liked to play there. But ironically, The OGWT was run on a very small budget, top stars like David Bowie where paid just £50 for playing three songs and John Lennon asked that he received his fee in chocolate biscuits!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:54 AM