3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Playing With The Backing Tracks
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2014, 03:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 5 2014, 04:24 AM) *
Exactly smile.gif

You don't want to be a replica and this is one of the best ways to avoid that - work on your own stuff. It doesn't matter if the ideas are seemingly simple. Music is not a sport wink.gif

I read Replica and this beautiful song come to my mind:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
Heh! I never actually listened to this band that much - thanks for sharing wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 8 2014, 08:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 6 2014, 04:35 AM) *
Heh! I never actually listened to this band that much - thanks for sharing wink.gif

I used to listen them when I was a teenager, I loved their first album which included this track. It's power metal from Finland.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 07:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 8 2014, 07:35 PM) *
I used to listen them when I was a teenager, I loved their first album which included this track. It's power metal from Finland.

Ah, nice smile.gif I've never been too much into that side of metal, to be frank, but hey, music is music. The genre doesn't matter that much wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2014, 02:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 9 2014, 03:29 AM) *
Ah, nice smile.gif I've never been too much into that side of metal, to be frank, but hey, music is music. The genre doesn't matter that much wink.gif

yeah, it's not a thing for everybody, but I can say that listening to a lot of power metal developed my sense of melody and ear.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 10 2014, 10:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2014, 01:34 PM) *
yeah, it's not a thing for everybody, but I can say that listening to a lot of power metal developed my sense of melody and ear.

Hehe! I think that pop music did the trick for me in this direction biggrin.gif As cheesy as it may sound, I've learned a lot of stuff from Celine Dion or Whitney Houston!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2014, 03:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 10 2014, 06:16 PM) *
Hehe! I think that pop music did the trick for me in this direction biggrin.gif As cheesy as it may sound, I've learned a lot of stuff from Celine Dion or Whitney Houston!

Definitely! Those epic songs are a great melodic influence.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 12 2014, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Neil Schoen's instrumental versions are living proof biggrin.gif See how well he managed to transpose those vocal lines on the guitar?

What's your favorite vocal line transposed on the guitar, guys? Have you ever tried to do that?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2014, 03:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 12 2014, 07:03 AM) *
Neil Schoen's instrumental versions are living proof biggrin.gif See how well he managed to transpose those vocal lines on the guitar?

What's your favorite vocal line transposed on the guitar, guys? Have you ever tried to do that?

I didn't hear them, please share a link!

This is one of my favorites:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2014, 01:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2014, 02:39 AM) *
I didn't hear them, please share a link!

This is one of my favorites:

Here are some wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2014, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 13 2014, 09:27 AM) *
Here are some wink.gif

Nice way to refresh this songs! I cannot listen to that Bryan Adams song one more time but I can hear this instrumental version.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2014, 07:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2014, 01:15 PM) *
Nice way to refresh this songs! I cannot listen to that Bryan Adams song one more time but I can hear this instrumental version.

RIGHT! I was thinking about the same thing biggrin.gif The dude did justice to these songs wink.gif You don't like Bryan Adams? laugh.gif I remember sitting in front of the TV as a kid and being uber excited to see the Robin Hood video for this song biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 14 2014, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
I use backing tracks all the time for just having fun or learning covers it made learning three sets of maiden covers much easier
than just reading the music out of a book.

Here is a couple recent ones I did in my studio recently. I had to learn a couple covers and I was trying to sync video and get a good master for youtube, so overall it was a learning experience.

Backing tracks, you can go to any one of the free backing track sites on the net- download the tracks without guitar and I use logic so you just drag and drop to a track, eq and set up to taste and jam away!

Sorry I have`nt been around much SO BUSY! and we only get three months of summer, so I am out of the studio much of this time.

My covers are not perfect but they are close enough for rock and roll. Please enjoy my playlist STP- interstate love song, and Smashing pumpkins- 1979. I already shared the improv blues video here. Headphones or large speakers sound better than laptop.

This post has been edited by Britishampfan: Jun 14 2014, 02:09 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2014, 08:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 14 2014, 03:11 AM) *
RIGHT! I was thinking about the same thing biggrin.gif The dude did justice to these songs wink.gif You don't like Bryan Adams? laugh.gif I remember sitting in front of the TV as a kid and being uber excited to see the Robin Hood video for this song biggrin.gif

I used to like him but he sounded too much here during the 90's so his most popular songs are those that you've heard so many times that you can't listen to them 1 more time. It's enough!! That songs was used for the videos or most emotive moment on every marriage party or 15 years old party.

QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Jun 14 2014, 10:04 AM) *
I use backing tracks all the time for just having fun or learning covers it made learning three sets of maiden covers much easier
than just reading the music out of a book.

Here is a couple recent ones I did in my studio recently. I had to learn a couple covers and I was trying to sync video and get a good master for youtube, so overall it was a learning experience.

Backing tracks, you can go to any one of the free backing track sites on the net- download the tracks without guitar and I use logic so you just drag and drop to a track, eq and set up to taste and jam away!

Sorry I have`nt been around much SO BUSY! and we only get three months of summer, so I am out of the studio much of this time.

My covers are not perfect but they are close enough for rock and roll. Please enjoy my playlist STP- interstate love song, and Smashing pumpkins- 1979. I already shared the improv blues video here. Headphones or large speakers sound better than laptop.

Hi mate! These are 3 very nice videos. The covers are very cool, I love those songs and I find very interesting the guitar work on both. The guitar lines in Smashing Pumpkins song is very original. Be careful with timing, I find some little timing issues in both covers. Then, the blues impro, sounds great! Very enjoyable. Well done.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2014, 03:47 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif you are speaking to a BIG STP and Smashing Pumpkins fan here biggrin.gif I must say I very much enjoy your work and as Gabi says, aside from the little details in timing everything is very enjoyable!

You have great tone and a nice, clean rounded playing! What other covers can you play? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 15 2014, 07:59 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 15 2014, 02:47 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif you are speaking to a BIG STP and Smashing Pumpkins fan here biggrin.gif I must say I very much enjoy your work and as Gabi says, aside from the little details in timing everything is very enjoyable!

You have great tone and a nice, clean rounded playing! What other covers can you play? biggrin.gif

1979 could have been way better, It`s detuned in Eflat and my strat strings were noodles. It was very difficult to get what I got without resetting up my strat.

I like the way it sounds, my take is brighter and clearer with a very clean Marshall sound. The STP song I love to play and that is a mesa pre-amp and marshall set pretty clean, the grind is mostly mesa I think it sounds close enough.

I never really played covers for the first 20 years of playing, I learned riffs but that was about it. I was going to be all original, I started playing covers for fun after I was burned out from thrash metal and playing with bands for fun instead of sport.

Ha ha, glad you guys like. How many cover do I know? can I play? Too many to count couple hundred I guess. I play in a cover band now and we can do 4 sets easy without extended improv jams.

My favorite cover band was the Iron Maiden cover band we had three sets down pretty much note for note, minor inconsistencies
band wise and our singer was coming along but alas after friction and some unfortunate situations we only did two gigs and the band broke up. We had backing from the local metal station and it looked very good for us as far as gigs and money. Oh well ;(

I can pretty much play all of live after death, piece of mind, number of the beast and my personal favorite, powerslave.

I have`nt even got into my speed thrash metal stuff yet but I left metal behind in 2009.

We do a lot of classic rock, people wanna drink and DANCE I do everything from early 60`s rock to the new pearl jam.

It`s so easy to learn songs these days.

As I said I know it`s not perfect, I could make it so, but it was a fun video (as you can see me hamming it up:) I seriously doubt the general public would notice the few tiny mistakes, but other guitar players pick them out! hahahaha

Thank you for listening.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2014, 12:21 PM
Instructor
It was a pleasure, man smile.gif

It's important to have fun and along the way, pick out the minor inconsistencies and fix them so that you will become a better player all the time wink.gif

There are a lot of Maiden fans here and I am sure you would love to be a part of this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

What say you? Are you in with us? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2014, 01:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Jun 15 2014, 03:59 PM) *
1979 could have been way better, It`s detuned in Eflat and my strat strings were noodles. It was very difficult to get what I got without resetting up my strat.

I like the way it sounds, my take is brighter and clearer with a very clean Marshall sound. The STP song I love to play and that is a mesa pre-amp and marshall set pretty clean, the grind is mostly mesa I think it sounds close enough.

I never really played covers for the first 20 years of playing, I learned riffs but that was about it. I was going to be all original, I started playing covers for fun after I was burned out from thrash metal and playing with bands for fun instead of sport.

Ha ha, glad you guys like. How many cover do I know? can I play? Too many to count couple hundred I guess. I play in a cover band now and we can do 4 sets easy without extended improv jams.

My favorite cover band was the Iron Maiden cover band we had three sets down pretty much note for note, minor inconsistencies
band wise and our singer was coming along but alas after friction and some unfortunate situations we only did two gigs and the band broke up. We had backing from the local metal station and it looked very good for us as far as gigs and money. Oh well ;(

I can pretty much play all of live after death, piece of mind, number of the beast and my personal favorite, powerslave.

I have`nt even got into my speed thrash metal stuff yet but I left metal behind in 2009.

We do a lot of classic rock, people wanna drink and DANCE I do everything from early 60`s rock to the new pearl jam.

It`s so easy to learn songs these days.

As I said I know it`s not perfect, I could make it so, but it was a fun video (as you can see me hamming it up:) I seriously doubt the general public would notice the few tiny mistakes, but other guitar players pick them out! hahahaha

Thank you for listening.

Hi mate, this sounds very good. Playing lots of covers and with cover bands is a great training. It keeps our technique at a good average level and based on this videos, I think that you could get even more from this trying to slowly decreasing those inconsistencies.

It's true that most of the times, not musical people can't explain what is wrong but I remember discussing with a great teacher that I had called Lapo Gessagi. He said me that people can't explain it but they can feel it and that what makes them note a difference between a great guitarist and an amateur one. They can't explain why, but they will feel that they prefer the original 1979 version than the one played by you on that video. That's why it's good to focus on details when we are practicing and recording. Even more if you are going to upload a video to youtube, trust me, you don't know who is going to see the video! Maybe, one night, Billy Corgan would be drinking some beers with friends and surfing youtube and he finds his video... it would be great if he thinks this guys is fantastic... oh no, this guy is better than my current guitarist.. I will call him! biggrin.gif

I can notice that you are a very good guitarist and that you have the skills to play this covers perfectly so why wouldn't you focus on details to give the most from you? I don't think that having an attitude of "ok, nobody would note this" would be something positive to you, it would be more positive to say, ok, I have some timing issues, I will focus on them.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 16 2014, 11:19 PM
Yeah I could play a couple Maiden covers for you guys no problem.

Couple of things about my covers, they are for fun for my friends and family and the very few internet friends and bulletin boards I frequent.

They are not my songs I do not have the copyright and while I `m not making any money whatsoever or selling anything I could be asked to take them down at any time.

Amount of Time spent....... Ok I was actually practicing video and tech stuff in my recording studio that was more important to me than my playing.

Look dudes, I dragged and dropped the backing track into logic.

I looked up the music and read it.

I played through it once with the backing track to get the feel for it and play my interpretation of the cover.

I recorded it on the second play though, one shot recording and I did not edit anything. Not the tracks, and not the video.

I mixed and mastered- (still learining that better)

So you are seeing the second time I ever played the songs.

The blue`s improv video that was the first take live unedited, and I can tell some of that stuff was just out of my head, If I would have spent some time on it, like writing for a client, it would be more rehearsed and perfect with much better tone and phrasing.

My own original work is unreleased and will be perfect, on soundcloud there are a couple one shot WORK IN PROGRESS stuff and live tracks.

What I`m saying is that yes striving for perfection is good, very good practice for live performance but there is a limit to how much time I wanna spend on someone else`s song.(unless it`s Maiden) I could even go back and edit everything and punch in and out to make a perfect perfect studio recording with video.

My covers I have up now are live and honest videos of me having fun and not striving for perfection.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2014, 12:31 AM
Speaking of backing tracks to play with, HERE YA GO!!! smile.gif Try to put some solo bits on this, everybody is welcome to try!!

It's in the key of E MINOR. I'm on guitar and bass doing rythm bits.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 17 2014, 12:34 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:06 AM