Emg-hz Experience Anyone?
pekki
Jul 11 2010, 04:59 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, I need some help.

In a very short time, I'm planning of buying a new guitar, to be exact this one:

http://www.cortguitars.com/_webapp_2726492/EVL-X4

So, I need some feedback from you guys on the pickups that are on the guitar.
I'm reading a lot of comments online, both negative and positive. I'm not concerned
too much because they will sure be better than the pickups I have now on my Cort G250,
stock Mightymite pickups...

I play (or at least I tend to) a lot of styles...but, everything that's ''ballad'', works for me biggrin.gif
Purpose for the new axe is to develop my technical abilities to a higher level, getting to know
the possibilities I can get with a floyd rose and 24 frets, which I never had in the past...

Any feedback from you will be great, on the pickups, on the guitar itself..

Cheers,

Ivan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 11 2010, 09:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
The EMG HZ are the passive attempt on the popular EMG 81/85 pickups by EMG. They are not the worst pickups in the world but there are certainly better ones out there (EMG is just not as good with passives as they are with active pickups)

The EMG HZ are aimed at high gain Heavy Rock and Metal so they are not the first choice for you!!!

Cort makes great guitars, especially those low-priced models are really good for the money you pay for them. However I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose style tremolo in this price region. Those cheap tremolos don't hold the tuning well and they break easily as they are made from cheap materials (I had terrible experiences with lowend tremolos)

I would go for a cort without a Trem or try to spend more money on a guitar with a better tremolo if you really need one. If you can't raise more money, you can always look out for a good used guitar!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
pekki
Jul 12 2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I read you man...

I didn't set my heart on it, so I'm still opened to change my mind.
But, a floyd rose is a must, I won't go without a floyd.

How about this particular instrument:

http://www.bcrich.com/assassin_px3t.asp#

?

It has an original floyd rose, and as far as I can summarize the comments on pickups - they are very good.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 12 2010, 02:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah those Rockfield Pickups are pretty good and you can even coil split them for more versatilty! And to me there is no better Tremolo than the Original Floyd Rose - I am impressed that BC Rich puts an original Floyd, an Ebony Fretboard and good pickups on a guitar and it only costs this much!
Incredibe price-ration compared to what you get!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
pekki
Jul 12 2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm reading nothing but pluses for this guitar. I'm trying it next week, if it ''clicks'' - it's a done deal.

The only minor minus is the pickup selector position biggrin.gif
It's absurd to put it there in my opinion...but, it's a compromise I'm willing to make.
35% DISCOUNT ON THIS! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2010, 05:15 PM
As usual Zakk is on the money with all of his info. Great advice and info Zakk!

As was discussed in another thread, if you want to take your EMG hz to "Active" land, you can add on one of two after market items from EMG that will provide a battery powered pre-amp. If you have a large cavity for your volume pots, no drilling is needed. They are the PA2 and the AfterBurner. I've got the PA2 on my EMG Kerry King set and it's just nuts for gain. These add ons work well with any EMG set.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/135/142/4

Todd

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 12 2010, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's a pretty common position for the pickup scwitch...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
pekki
Jul 12 2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info Todd, I checked the whole thread down there, didn't even search before opening this one.
But I guess I gave up on Cort after advices Zakk (and several other people) gave me...

Zakk - It's awkward for me, I ain't used having the switch there biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by pekki: Jul 12 2010, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:26 AM