Fingerpicking Problem
Murloc
Dec 31 2009, 03:12 AM
Learning Roadie
I am practicing the song One Last Breath by Creed and the intro (which is quite long) is pure fingerpicking and I am having problems with the positioning of my picking hand. I want to be able to pick strings with both my index and middle finger, but then I have to position my hand so that my pinky and ring finger barrely has any space and gets mashed against the guitar (hurts like hell after a while). Is it supposed to be like this, surely it cant be? :S

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Murloc: Dec 31 2009, 03:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Dec 31 2009, 03:47 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
It shouldnt hurt .. Keep your picking hand very loose and relaxed.. If you can record a quick video for us and explain the issue , it will be much easier for us to help you out.... smile.gif

Edit: I think you're aiming for something like this ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXedRJRrykg
The pinky and ring finger can easily rest on the pickguard if thats how you wanna play.. jst relax them ... or you can incorporate the ring finger in your picking too ..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by zen: Dec 31 2009, 04:41 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Murloc
Dec 31 2009, 01:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (zen @ Dec 31 2009, 03:47 AM) *
It shouldnt hurt .. Keep your picking hand very loose and relaxed.. If you can record a quick video for us and explain the issue , it will be much easier for us to help you out.... smile.gif

Edit: I think you're aiming for something like this ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXedRJRrykg
The pinky and ring finger can easily rest on the pickguard if thats how you wanna play.. jst relax them ... or you can incorporate the ring finger in your picking too ..

I dont know if it's just me, but that guy in the video link you posted. Isnt he picking it all with his thumb and index?

+Quote Post
zen
Jan 1 2010, 05:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Murloc @ Dec 31 2009, 11:51 PM) *
I dont know if it's just me, but that guy in the video link you posted. Isnt he picking it all with his thumb and index?

It was just an example of how you can relax your fingers on the pickguard if required .. or you can even curl your fingers .. Try focusing on the other things mentioned in my reply. Try and keep the fingers relaxed.. Use any fingers that you feel comfortable with .. some people will use thumb, index, middle and ring (all four) to pick ... some will use thumb + index and some will use index +middle ... It entirely depends on your comfort and the piece you are trying to learn ..

I'm really not able to understand how it is hurting though .. by your statement .. "but then I have to position my hand so that my pinky and ring finger barrely has any space and gets mashed against the guitar (hurts like hell after a while)"

p.s - thanks for reminding me of this song .. i might learn this too smile.gif .. itt seems like a VERY good finger picking exercise and certainly not easy.... if played correctly

This post has been edited by zen: Jan 1 2010, 05:46 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 1 2010, 01:40 PM
Instructor
Can you provide some picture of your hand posture so we can possibly suggest how to correct the posture?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:20 PM