Interface And Monitors
Jesse
May 24 2012, 06:37 PM
GMC:er
Hello,

in about two months I could be buying a set of monitors and a good audio interface, the budget will be around 500 to 600 $, any recommendations? I'm looking for things like a Fasttrack pro or an Alesis iO4 and preferably active monitors.

I could get money to buy that for my birthday on july 5th and save a bit,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2012, 05:44 AM
Hey Jesse smile.gif Todd here, as you might imagine this question gets posted quite a bit so there are wads of responses ready for reading in the forums but for a bit more clarity NOTHING beats Frans AMAZING wiki! There is an entire section devoted to this very topic.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Recording

But as for your question about interfaces, both units you mentioned will make a fine choice. Speakers in your price range are probably a KRK active set or an Alesis Active set. The selection will simply be determined largely by budget and you are probably looking at 4 or 5, maybe 6 inch drivers on your speakers.

Later on, you can add a subwoofer, but at the start, get a pair of nice headphones. Studio headphones start somewhere around $100 and go up to crazy from there. So grab an AKG pair or SHURE or KRK pair at about that price range.

So are you planning on recording guitar only? One channel at a time? Or a whole band for demos? These can impact your choices but this interface is the first of many so either way your fine smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Jesse @ May 24 2012, 01:37 PM) *
Hello,

in about two months I could be buying a set of monitors and a good audio interface, the budget will be around 500 to 600 $, any recommendations? I'm looking for things like a Fasttrack pro or an Alesis iO4 and preferably active monitors.

I could get money to buy that for my birthday on july 5th and save a bit,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 25 2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your reply! I will take a read into that article as well.

I will be recording only one "thing" at a time. So 1 input will suffice. Are you suggesting not buying monitors first but instead getting a good pair of headphones?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2012, 02:29 AM
QUOTE (Jesse @ May 25 2012, 06:39 AM) *
Thanks for your reply! I will take a read into that article as well.

I will be recording only one "thing" at a time. So 1 input will suffice. Are you suggesting not buying monitors first but instead getting a good pair of headphones?

Well, you'll need a good pair of headphones pretty much no matter what. Earbuds are a bit crap to be honest, in terms of using them for mixing. You can use them for testing the mix though and thats a great idea cause lots of folks use ear buds wink.gif

But the interface is the heart of your rig so get as nice an interface as you can. If all the budget covers is interface and headphones, you can always add monitors later.

You can get a very spiff SCARLETT interface for abotu$250 US with two good preamps in it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/f...audio-interface

Attached Image

For a little less you can get a TC Electronic (these guys make killer gear) Desktop Konnect 6 which is an OUTSTANDING unit and shockingly cheap. It uses FIREWIRE not USB. Many of the pricey high end interfaces will rely on FIREWIRE for it's superb bi-directional data handling.

interfacehttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/t...audio-interface

Attached Image

Here is a solid pair of cans that run about $150.

Attached Image

If you have money left, get a pair of KRK Rockit 5 or Alesis active monitors and bingo smile.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/k...io-monitor-each

Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 26 2012, 02:36 AM

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 26 2012, 03:02 AM
Hey Todd! Thanks, and you've read my mind. Ive done my maths, and I was going for a Scarlett i2i (phantom power option, YES!) already and either the KRK rokit 6 or 8 sets, I am going to test them in the store with some well mixed CDs! This will be about 500 euros, about 630 $, and if I done my calculations right, it is affordable!!! So.... I will be getting the Focusrite Scarlett i2i, and either the KRK RP6 or KRK RP8 sets, Ive found some great deals that come with some padding and/or stands/cables as well! This will be a very exciting time in my career!!!

I cannot WAIT to have this gear in my possession, and now I'm going to finish this Dexter episode and sleep, because its 04:07 here!

My Laptop cant handle firewire (maybe trough some adapters), but Ive read that with the preamps and quality of the Scarlett, plus my PCs processor and RAM, it wont make the quality any less.

This post has been edited by Jesse: May 26 2012, 03:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:59 PM