3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
For The Love Of God By Steve Vai, played by me
Bondy
Jan 2 2009, 03:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Good job Tolek I enjoyed it

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 2 2009, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, I´m glad I could entertain you during 8 minutes. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 2 2009, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, Tolek. Everyone has gone home, and I found a pair of head phones, so I'm listening now tongue.gif

Intro: you got the essence of it and a very nice time, which is indeed very much like Vai's tone. I find that your vibrato is a bit unsteady and not full of confidence at times, as well as a few cleanliness issues. Nothing to bad though - all in all very good.

Next part has some intonation in the whammy work or legato it sounded like (I'm not watching, only hearing).

Back to intro and feels a lot more confidence, but still some not 100% clean, but that also adds some raw-ness to it.
Some very good emotion-filled bends and playing about with the whammy bar too here.

Fast parts are very good in the beginning, but I feel you lost it a bit (as would I).

The sweeping part sounds a bit off, because it is not perfectly clean - I would (you've heard this before) advice to slow down and practice those very slowly.

I hear some incorrect notes here and there in the end, but nothing to bad.

I would advice you to play more with your whammy though, as there are some times when you dive with it to some weird spots.

In general a much better take than I could do, so I hope you don't take all of the above too personal. I wish I had the courage to dive into this masterpiece of a song and learn it! smile.gif Keep up the good work, Tolek!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 2 2009, 03:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 2 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Well, Tolek. Everyone has gone home, and I found a pair of head phones, so I'm listening now tongue.gif

Intro: you got the essence of it and a very nice time, which is indeed very much like Vai's tone. I find that your vibrato is a bit unsteady and not full of confidence at times, as well as a few cleanliness issues. Nothing to bad though - all in all very good.

Next part has some intonation in the whammy work or legato it sounded like (I'm not watching, only hearing).

Back to intro and feels a lot more confidence, but still some not 100% clean, but that also adds some raw-ness to it.
Some very good emotion-filled bends and playing about with the whammy bar too here.

Fast parts are very good in the beginning, but I feel you lost it a bit (as would I).

The sweeping part sounds a bit off, because it is not perfectly clean - I would (you've heard this before) advice to slow down and practice those very slowly.

I hear some incorrect notes here and there in the end, but nothing to bad.

I would advice you to play more with your whammy though, as there are some times when you dive with it to some weird spots.

In general a much better take than I could do, so I hope you don't take all of the above too personal. I wish I had the courage to dive into this masterpiece of a song and learn it! smile.gif Keep up the good work, Tolek!

Wow, that´s what I call constructive critic, Ben! biggrin.gif Thanks a lot.

Some details about my whammy bar. Actually, it´s not the one that came with the JEM, the original one is somewhere at my father´s who is looking for it. Each time I use it, my guitar gets out of tune. You can see me restringing the guitar while playing and that´s why some simple parts are not in time. laugh.gif
As you would do (tongue.gif), I´ll slow down a bit and practise the not very clean parts. smile.gif

Thanks a lot again.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 2 2009, 03:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 2 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Wow, that´s what I call constructive critic, Ben! biggrin.gif Thanks a lot.

Some details about my whammy bar. Actually, it´s not the one that came with the JEM, the original one is somewhere at my father´s who is looking for it. Each time I use it, my guitar gets out of tune. You can see me restringing the guitar while playing and that´s why some simple parts are not in time. laugh.gif
As you would do ( tongue.gif ), I´ll slow down a bit and practise the not very clean parts. smile.gif

Thanks a lot again.

It was my pleasure, man! I enjoyed listening to it here in the final minutes of my work day. I must admit that I didn't watch the video, as I was writing the reply as I heard it, so I didn't see you re-stringing or tuning while you played.

I used to have a whammy bar liked that... actually my guitar does that all the time, but I found some weird way of fixing it. Have to leave now. Will write about it when I get home smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 05:10 PM
Instructor
great tone Tolek mate, sounds just like Vai, this is such a nice tune smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 2 2009, 05:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Great playing Tolek. Well done. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 2 2009, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Nice take Tolek, very nice!!

I would only concentrate just a little bit on slower parts aka main theme,
try to listen to backing track more, some notes were kind a "of beat",
everything else was pretty cool, thumbs up! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Jan 2 2009, 05:37 PM
Instructor
WOW MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif
Well done Tolek, really liked it!! cool.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 2 2009, 05:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wow... 7 minutes of guitar playing, I'd find that hard to remember for sure wink.gif Very very nice job Tolek!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 2 2009, 06:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks a lot, guys! biggrin.gif I am so honored... This feeling makes worth being a member of GMC, thanks. smile.gif

@playaxeman: I didn´t see you edited your post ("What gear did you use for this take?
How long did it take you to nail this? "). Here are the answers: I connected my JEM555 to my Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah which was connected to a Line6 UX1 unit (audio interface). The tone I played with comes originally from Smells, I edited it a bit with POD Farm after dowloading it.
This song was the first one I could play entirely on the electric guitar, I think. When I discovered GMC (about 2 years ago), I also discovered Steve Vai and I started to play FTLOG. smile.gif After getting my JEM, I started practising like mad and that´s when I got better. Actually, I didn´t practise this song for a long time. A lot of parts were figured out by ear because I forgot them. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Jan 2 2009, 07:09 PM
Instructor
Nice playing and tone Tolek:)!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 2 2009, 07:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ian Bushell @ Jan 2 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Nice playing and tone Tolek:)!

Thanks, Ian, glad to hear it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Jan 4 2009, 08:54 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
wow thats a great take on the solo! i know how hard it is, i tried it once laugh.gif

i also noticed that your tremolo arm on your guitar is really long, or maybe im wrong... huh.gif

anyway, awesome take, and if you can play tender surrender, i would really like to hear you play it too

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 4 2009, 08:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bladzerok @ Jan 4 2009, 08:54 PM) *
wow thats a great take on the solo! i know how hard it is, i tried it once laugh.gif

i also noticed that your tremolo arm on your guitar is really long, or maybe im wrong... huh.gif

anyway, awesome take, and if you can play tender surrender, i would really like to hear you play it too

Thanks, I´m glad you like it. smile.gif
About the tremolo arm: it´s not the original one (which is somewhere at my father´s laugh.gif) and it´s more difficult to play with it then with the black one... It´s so long and wrongly placed! biggrin.gif
Actually, I love playing Tender Surrender, too. Those both songs are the easiest and best sounding from Vai, I think. However, I recorded myself recently playing TS and I have to say that I need a lot of practise. smile.gif So, maybe in a month or more. I´ll post another topic when it´s recorded. cool.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Feb 8 2009, 12:09 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 4 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Thanks, I´m glad you like it. smile.gif
About the tremolo arm: it´s not the original one (which is somewhere at my father´s laugh.gif) and it´s more difficult to play with it then with the black one... It´s so long and wrongly placed! biggrin.gif
Actually, I love playing Tender Surrender, too. Those both songs are the easiest and best sounding from Vai, I think. However, I recorded myself recently playing TS and I have to say that I need a lot of practise. smile.gif So, maybe in a month or more. I´ll post another topic when it´s recorded. cool.gif

Cheers

tender surrender is quite tricky when comes the sweep, but you are right there ar a lots of harder songs by vai laugh.gif
anyway, im learning it right now, and some licks are going to give me hard time smile.gif

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
Tolek
Feb 8 2009, 12:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bladzerok @ Feb 8 2009, 12:09 AM) *
tender surrender is quite tricky when comes the sweep, but you are right there ar a lots of harder songs by vai laugh.gif
anyway, im learning it right now, and some licks are going to give me hard time smile.gif

Right, some parts are tricky. smile.gif Let me know if you need ay help.

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Feb 8 2009, 12:16 AM
Flamenco Instructor
Greet feeling! Like it very much

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Feb 8 2009, 12:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sergio Dorado @ Feb 8 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Greet feeling! Like it very much

Thanks, that´s kind. smile.gif

+Quote Post
utak3r
Feb 8 2009, 12:55 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 2 2009, 10:49 AM) *
I also like Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Maybe I´m gonna post it as well. biggrin.gif

Yeah, that's only two songs of him I like, too smile.gif

Really nice take, well done!
Now I'm writing from the memory, but on the beginning part shouldn't there being some harmonics added?

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:46 AM