The Devil And Guitar Playing. A Robert Johnson Thread., The legendary debate.
Did Robert Johnson sell his soul to the Devil for musical prowess in the form of the blues?
Do you think it happened?
It happened. No doubt in my mind. [ 3 ] ** [9.09%]
It might have happened. [ 3 ] ** [9.09%]
Its highly unlikely. [ 4 ] ** [12.12%]
It didn't happen, and the story is rubbish. [ 11 ] ** [33.33%]
Its more fun to believe it happened. [ 12 ] ** [36.36%]
Out of the following, who do you think most likely sold their soul to the devil for musical prowess?
Jimi Hendrix [ 7 ] ** [21.21%]
Toni Iommi [ 2 ] ** [6.06%]
Steve Vai [ 3 ] ** [9.09%]
Eddie Van Halen [ 1 ] ** [3.03%]
Yngwie Malmsteen [ 10 ] ** [30.30%]
Buckethead [ 7 ] ** [21.21%]
Michael Angelo Batio [ 3 ] ** [9.09%]
Would you sell your soul to the devil to "play that guitar the way it aint evah been played before"
Yes [ 10 ] ** [30.30%]
No [ 23 ] ** [69.70%]
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
Spiderusalem
Oct 25 2007, 06:03 AM
GMC:er

For those that dont know the legend, it basically goes: Robert Johnson, a guitarist in the Mississippi delta from about 80 years ago, met the devil at a crossroads on his way to the next town. The devil sold him musical prowess (the blues) for his soul. There are versions of the story much more dramatic, but thats all you gotta know. Robert Johnson was known as the "king" of the Delta Blues, and like mosts guitarists, died early.

As all of you already know, the blues grew and developed and inspired many other guitarists, and eventually it turned into rock n roll, punk, and heavy metal ect. which is known in many parts of the world as "the devils music". So, did the devil sell Robert Johnson the blues knowing it would eventually become his music?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 06:08 AM
I like this thread. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 25 2007, 06:10 AM
Instructor
I think soul is the most important thing about guitarplaying. So I would never sell my soul wink.gif

Also deals with the devil are never good for you wink.gif

This post has been edited by Fabian Schulz: Oct 25 2007, 06:14 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Lester
Oct 25 2007, 06:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I want to post here a little about what i know....
I am a christian and i do believe in God, devil, angels, demons etc...

First, about what i know of and believe is that robert johnson made contact with the devil by performing witchcraft, the devil will never stand in front of your face like that if you dont ask him to.
As the bible says: The devil can attack you, but has no right on you and cant rule if you dont allow him to.
Im sorry if you dont believe in the bible and stuff, but its what i believe.

second, Before Robert Johnson went to the crosroads people told about him that he would practice sometimes around them and that he couldnt play guitar nor sing....
and when he came back he played like more then a pro...
and listen to what he sings: i went to the crosroads... and there's a hellhound on my tail...

So i do believe he actually sold his soul to the devil for fame on earth, what he forgot however or did not care about, that is when you die there is an eternity and he is spending it in hell right now...
The bible says: What does is gain a man that he gains everything in live but loses his soul and will forever be lost?? (sorry for the bad english).

same can be said about 2pac, he said he sould his soul to the devil for fame. he calls his demon makaveli(thats not his real name). a demon possesed him so he could perform but at the same time he was bound by that demon. and he also died early.

Eminem actually says that he has the same demon inside of him but he calls him slim shady, he hasnt died yet but if he sold his soul to the devil he will also die early, thats the way the devil works.

I told here a little bit about what i know and i believe. hope it might bring some clearity altough i realize that not everyone believes in God and the Bible anymore.

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 25 2007, 06:37 AM
Pfffh of course stuff like this dont happen. Kinda cool story though, nothing more than that.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 25 2007, 06:39 AM
Just a fast note about selling ones soul to the devil, I have no idea about how he was before, and I'm kind of agnostic(ish) so I have no real opinion on the devil existing or not (except that I consider both god and the devil originally being metaphors for just general good stuff and general bad stuff (even though now I consider the devil being more of a metaphor for freedom, but I'll end this little rant right now)), but for me, when a famous artist says that he's sold his soul to the devil, I just think of it like that artists has sold out or done something that goes against whatever he stands for, not making a deal with some evil supermegaguy.

Oh, and I voted "it's more fun to belive it's happened..." so basically, no I don't think that it happened laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Oct 25 2007, 06:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slammer
Oct 25 2007, 07:12 AM
QUOTE (Lester @ Oct 25 2007, 01:29 AM) *
The bible says: What does is gain a man that he gains everything in live but loses his soul and will forever be lost?? (sorry for the bad english).

I don't want to join this discussion, because I think it might get into a big argument (maybe).

But, just for clarity's sake I believe what he was refering to was ^^

QUOTE (Mark 8:36)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

biggrin.gif ok that's all

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 25 2007, 07:42 AM
No disrespect intended here, but Robert Johnson didn't sell his soul to the devil at any crossroads for talent and fame. The crossroads is sung about by many a blues player over the generations past and it is used metaphorically. A metaphor for what, only the artist will ever know and only limited by our own imaginations. if we had a thread about blues men that sang about reaching a crossroad it would be 200 pages long. Does that imply that they all were manipulated by SATAN !!!! The story is called legend, folk lore. It's the stuff that made for great stories around the fire. End of my rant, good day.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 25 2007, 07:55 AM
im with Lester here, i share the same belief's, although i doubt he made that "pact". Its fun to believe he did tho..

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 25 2007, 08:08 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Robert Johnson Owns.

I doubt he did, but doesnt mean it aint possible.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Oct 25 2007, 08:09 AM

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 25 2007, 08:30 AM
I think that to believe such a thing takes away from the man himself, at the same time I'm looking at Uncreators signature and I think that it probably sum's up Robert Johnson's ability to play more than a pact with the devil does;

"There is nothing so powerful as the human will"

I'd stand by that.

Tho, admittedly it is fun to imagine tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 25 2007, 02:36 PM
Haha, why did so many pick Yngwie (I did) biggrin.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Oct 25 2007, 02:57 PM
I believe that it's possible, but there's no way to be sure. Anyways, I picked Steve Vai... which makes sense if you've seen the movie Crossroads... smile.gif

Note: The one with Ralph Macchio, not the Britney Spears one... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Oct 30 2007, 01:01 PM

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 25 2007, 09:07 PM
Nah, I think its bullcrap. He was just a good guitar player. tongue.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 25 2007, 11:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
I think this is another one of those subjects i dont wanna touch with a 50 foot pole laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

However, the poll vote was fun !! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 26 2007, 12:01 AM
where can you find this "crossroad"? laugh.gif sounds like fun. but people believe stevie vai sold his soul to devil for chops, he is still alive and happy. and if there is heaven and hell, it is for eternity right? so u can whether leave a gigantic signature in the history of human race, then die forever or try your best and risk not being remembered at all, then die forever. am i right or am i right lol... u die anyway, what happens afterwards is well into the future,id rather not think bout it. and if u get tortured in hell for eternity wouldnt u just get used to it and get bit boring afterwards? if hell is like what people say its supposed to be, then the possibilitys are these - 1. you go crazy coz u cant take it any more, but then thats stupid because u wont have a good state of mind and torture and stuff wont really bother you much 2. you get used to all the pain and pressure, hell goes bancrupt lol
but then how could you go crazy if you dont have a brain? if there is a soul, when ur soul leaves the body, there is nothing to break. but say there is magical fire that can burn souls, ud just get used to it. etc.
anywho im just bored, thats why i typesso much. but hey, anyones got the right to believe in what they want. wink.gif

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 26 2007, 12:06 AM
Believing someone sold his/her soul to the devil for musical skills is just a religous (and a lot more ridiculous) version of believing that only a few born with talent can be musicians...

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Oct 26 2007, 12:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Oct 27 2007, 09:36 AM
QUOTE (Lester @ Oct 24 2007, 10:29 PM) *
I want to post here a little about what i know....
I am a christian and i do believe in God, devil, angels, demons etc...

First, about what i know of and believe is that robert johnson made contact with the devil by performing witchcraft, the devil will never stand in front of your face like that if you dont ask him to.
As the bible says: The devil can attack you, but has no right on you and cant rule if you dont allow him to.
Im sorry if you dont believe in the bible and stuff, but its what i believe.

second, Before Robert Johnson went to the crosroads people told about him that he would practice sometimes around them and that he couldnt play guitar nor sing....
and when he came back he played like more then a pro...
and listen to what he sings: i went to the crosroads... and there's a hellhound on my tail...

So i do believe he actually sold his soul to the devil for fame on earth, what he forgot however or did not care about, that is when you die there is an eternity and he is spending it in hell right now...

same can be said about 2pac, he said he sould his soul to the devil for fame. he calls his demon makaveli(thats not his real name). a demon possesed him so he could perform but at the same time he was bound by that demon. and he also died early.

Eminem actually says that he has the same demon inside of him but he calls him slim shady, he hasnt died yet but if he sold his soul to the devil he will also die early, thats the way the devil works.

I told here a little bit about what i know and i believe. hope it might bring some clearity altough i realize that not everyone believes in God and the Bible anymore.

i've never heard anything about 2pac selling his soul to the devil. he died over stupid fueds with other artists.

Eminem just says he has a "demon" in him as a metaphor. with slim shady he always just says what he wants about people, without any restraint.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 27 2007, 09:40 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 25 2007, 11:06 PM) *
Believing someone sold his/her soul to the devil for musical skills is just a religous (and a lot more ridiculous) version of believing that only a few born with talent can be musicians...

Indeed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:55 AM