2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sitar Pedal
Palacios
Feb 13 2014, 07:08 AM
Learning Roadie
I got to get me one of these. I love the sitar, but I have no desire to learn it. This would solve that problem, and help me play Sinisa's Around The World Series. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/around...ia_sitar_style/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 13 2014, 09:37 AM
Instructor
This is pure magic biggrin.gif I love this pedal already!

I found it for 236 dollars on Amazon - any other place with a better price? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 13 2014, 10:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 13 2014, 12:37 AM) *
This is pure magic biggrin.gif I love this pedal already!

I found it for 236 dollars on Amazon - any other place with a better price? smile.gif

I found a used one at Guitar Center for $170. Still a lot of damn money. I'm not sure if you have Guitar Center in Europe. I don't recall seeing them when I was there. They're like a big box store for guitar in the US.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2014, 09:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 13 2014, 09:41 AM) *
I found a used one at Guitar Center for $170. Still a lot of damn money. I'm not sure if you have Guitar Center in Europe. I don't recall seeing them when I was there. They're like a big box store for guitar in the US.

Mate, 170 bucks is not that much, but that's just my thought. Judging by the fact that I don't buy gear that often, this would be a nice thing to have tongue.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2014, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
$170.00 is about as cheap as you'll find.
Used or discounted they average about $180 - $199
New - $237

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2014, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Ken - have you tried this one? What do you think, is it worth the money? I am kind of set on getting it...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 15 2014, 06:07 PM
I don't have it.
It's a great effect but I find (for me) that those things get old and tiring really quickly.
How often are you gonna actually use a Sitar effect? It's worth the price if you'll use it.

*Keep in mind that all those (really cool) EHX demos are done by a session guitarist in a really nice studio in New York.
All the 'ambient' effect on there are other pedals - Deluxe Memory Man and Holy Grail reverb (also xlnt pedals).

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 15 2014, 07:58 PM
GMC Founder
Very cool!

But let's not forget our hero [from another thread] can do similar stuff without any pedals, just with a clean sound (youtube1, youtube2) Learning to do it this way will definitely provide a powerful too when building your own unique style.

However I'd still love to try this pedal - but just like Ken said: I often find that extreme effects like this one are super fun the first 5 minutes, then it gets boring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 15 2014, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Very tempting. I though about renting one from guitar center, and see how long I play with it. They have a 30 day return policy. Then again I have a wha wha and distortion pedal, and I barely use those. I'm more of an acoustic man.

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 16 2014, 05:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Alright my curiosity got the best of me. I went out and bought one. My only advice is read the instructions first. Since I've never played a sitar, and barely play a electric guitar; this pedal can be confusing. After slowly reading the instructions; this thing is badass. It sounds just like a sitar, and you can really screw with the sound. You need to get an expression pedal to get the full use of this. I still haven't figured everything out on it, but I'm having fun. I'm gonna do some of Sinisa's Around The World lessons with this.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2014, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 15 2014, 06:58 PM) *
Very cool!

But let's not forget our hero [from another thread] can do similar stuff without any pedals, just with a clean sound (youtube1, youtube2) Learning to do it this way will definitely provide a powerful too when building your own unique style.

However I'd still love to try this pedal - but just like Ken said: I often find that extreme effects like this one are super fun the first 5 minutes, then it gets boring.

True words here Kris - I've been always fascinated and trying out various articulation techniques, based on approaches used on the sitar or other stringed Asian instruments. In the same time, I know I might get bored with it pretty fast, especially if everything comes down to what Ken says - 'how often do you use it?' I'll just wait a bit more maybe smile.gif

QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 16 2014, 04:20 AM) *
Alright my curiosity got the best of me. I went out and bought one. My only advice is read the instructions first. Since I've never played a sitar, and barely play a electric guitar; this pedal can be confusing. After slowly reading the instructions; this thing is badass. It sounds just like a sitar, and you can really screw with the sound. You need to get an expression pedal to get the full use of this. I still haven't figured everything out on it, but I'm having fun. I'm gonna do some of Sinisa's Around The World lessons with this.

Ohoo biggrin.gif Well mate, I hope you get the best out of this pedal! smile.gif Shoot a video once you get comfy with it and let us know how you fare with it, if you feel like it, of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 16 2014, 10:48 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 16 2014, 05:20 AM) *

Very cool you bought it. It will be interesting to know if this becomes an expressive tool for you - or if it's limited to being more of a one trick pony.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 18 2014, 12:32 AM
Learning Roadie
My wife absolutely hates this guitar pedal. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 18 2014, 01:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 15 2014, 03:58 PM) *
Very cool!

The great Marty! smile.gif

QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 17 2014, 08:32 PM) *
My wife absolutely hates this guitar pedal. smile.gif

My girlfriend loves Sitar, and she promised me buy me one as a present any time. She promised it without discovering that it was an expensive instrument... but now it's her promise. My promise was to learn to play it well. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 18 2014, 12:00 AM) *
My girlfriend loves Sitar, and she promised me buy me one as a present any time. She promised it without discovering that it was an expensive instrument... but now it's her promise. My promise was to learn to play it well. biggrin.gif

I definitely need to make sure that the girl I will be with is prone to making such promises and also keeping them biggrin.gif

Here's what I found for you Gabi: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sitar-/112677/i.html - I have no clue how to pick one up, or if you get 0 quality for this kind of money, but 200 bucks seems like a VERY reasonable price biggrin.gif

Palacios - why is your wife despising the pedal?

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 18 2014, 08:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 17 2014, 11:18 PM) *
I definitely need to make sure that the girl I will be with is prone to making such promises and also keeping them biggrin.gif

Here's what I found for you Gabi: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sitar-/112677/i.html - I have no clue how to pick one up, or if you get 0 quality for this kind of money, but 200 bucks seems like a VERY reasonable price biggrin.gif

Palacios - why is your wife despising the pedal?

I think it's because I've been practicing Sinisa's lesson over, and over again. I think it sounds really cool myself. I just need to use headphones. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2014, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 18 2014, 07:41 AM) *
I think it's because I've been practicing Sinisa's lesson over, and over again. I think it sounds really cool myself. I just need to use headphones. laugh.gif

I always tell myself that I will learn ALL of Sinisa's world music based lessons... Tough chance laugh.gif Another month has gone by and I haven't given myself the time to do it.. Well, headphones can save the marriage!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 18 2014, 05:13 PM
Unless you find a good deal on a local, used Sitar(?) $400.00 US is about the cheapest you'll find that's playable.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 19 2014, 07:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 18 2014, 04:13 PM) *
Unless you find a good deal on a local, used Sitar(?) $400.00 US is about the cheapest you'll find that's playable.

KEN you play it? smile.gif Somehow, SOMEHOW, I smell you have or had an experience with a sitar laugh.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 19 2014, 04:57 PM
Alas I do not play the sitar (though I have 'played' one).
I do know and have worked with a few sitar players though.
I play with these guys and gals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951XrgaOqZQ There's a sitar (and tabla) player in the band (sometimes) as well as on the recordings.
*As you can imagine Los Angeles is an extremely multi-cultural city. There are pro players here from every corner of the world here.

If you do decide to get one from a catalog get it from 'Lark in the Morning' http://www.larkinam.com/SitarIndia.html
I'm sure you can find one in a shop in Argentina though(?).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 19 2014, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:27 PM