3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Redecorating My Attic Storage Room..., ...for a place to practice undisturbed.
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 23 2014, 09:40 AM
Instructor
Mate, this is clearly a battle with yourself smile.gif

As I said, it's important to create a practice friendly environment, but keep in mind that you have to develop the power to control your mind.

When practicing, establish a 2 hr time slab in which:

- the phone goes silent and is kept in the other room
- the internet is switched off
- the TV goes out the socket
- no radio

It's you, the laptop, your practice materials and guitar smile.gif

If two hours in one shot is a bit too much, start with less. Practicing is active meditation wink.gif Sometimes it's not that easy to focus on a big slab from the beginning so give it time. Start with little and increase along with the focus power!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 27 2014, 07:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
So...with a 4 day warning I get told that I am to clear my attic storage room, as they're gonna start working on the building and the pipes up there and that the finishing work up there won't be done till in half a year. That's just great, I only just made it nice and cozy up there... The documents we originally got about the building project didn't include anything about the attic, then the next set did, but mentioned that it would be done over the summer, and now it's from April 1st till October... what the hell, man.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 27 2014, 07:18 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2014, 04:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 27 2014, 06:17 PM) *
So...with a 4 day warning I get told that I am to clear my attic storage room, as they're gonna start working on the building and the pipes up there and that the finishing work up there won't be done till in half a year. That's just great, I only just made it nice and cozy up there... The documents we originally got about the building project didn't include anything about the attic, then the next set did, but mentioned that it would be done over the summer, and now it's from April 1st till October... what the hell, man.

It is a test smile.gif Some superior forces wish for you to become able to be focused in any environment. Take it as it is and make the best of it mate. Making a big fuss over it won't change anything, so clear the mind and get to work!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 29 2014, 02:29 AM
GMC:er
Wise words from COS in this thread!!! Crazy as it sounds, the universe is trying to speak to you and help you work on your focus. We are always being brought things that we need to fix/work on/make better, and too often we find ways not to. The universe is patient and will just keep trying smile.gif

Focus begets focus, so in addition to picking drills, I suggest FOCUS DRILLs.
(Start by SHUTTING EVERYTHING OFF FOR TWO HOURS OF PRACTICE)

Then

1.)Sit down with the TV on, radio going and and laptop set to facebook
2.)Set a timer/stop watch for 1 minute.
3.)Ignore everything but your guitar.

Then try 2 minutes. And so on smile.gif

I've gotten it to where I can practice to the point of exhaustion and not even hear the phone ring. Later, I check my messages and people are asking where the heck I was, I just say "practicing" smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2014, 11:37 AM) *
It is a test smile.gif Some superior forces wish for you to become able to be focused in any environment. Take it as it is and make the best of it mate. Making a big fuss over it won't change anything, so clear the mind and get to work!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2014, 08:46 AM
Instructor
Great suggestion by Todd smile.gif I kind of told you the same things before. When you practice, you need to give 110% of your attention to what you are doing. Don't find excuses. Start small. 30 minutes of practicing with no phone, internet, TV or radio. I don't even own a TV... and I stopped watching TV in 2002 smile.gif I may sound like a crazy hermit, but I'm really not one.

Will you tell us how it goes? And to make things more interesting, practice in the same room with the TV, radio and internet. Just don't switch them on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 29 2014, 02:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 27 2014, 11:17 AM) *

This might be your golden heaven sent opportunity to get power up there. Talk to the workers, and find out who the electrician is. Get him a good bottle of American Whiskey, and see if he can "accidentally" put a power receptacle up there for you. Tell him you'll even buy the parts. It could be the best 30euros you've ever spent. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 23 2014, 04:40 AM) *
Mate, this is clearly a battle with yourself smile.gif

As I said, it's important to create a practice friendly environment, but keep in mind that you have to develop the power to control your mind.

When practicing, establish a 2 hr time slab in which:

- the phone goes silent and is kept in the other room
- the internet is switched off
- the TV goes out the socket
- no radio

It's you, the laptop, your practice materials and guitar smile.gif

If two hours in one shot is a bit too much, start with less. Practicing is active meditation wink.gif Sometimes it's not that easy to focus on a big slab from the beginning so give it time. Start with little and increase along with the focus power!

You are Buddha!

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 29 2014, 02:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2014, 12:46 AM) *
Great suggestion by Todd smile.gif I kind of told you the same things before. When you practice, you need to give 110% of your attention to what you are doing. Don't find excuses. Start small. 30 minutes of practicing with no phone, internet, TV or radio. I don't even own a TV... and I stopped watching TV in 2002 smile.gif I may sound like a crazy hermit, but I'm really not one.

Will you tell us how it goes? And to make things more interesting, practice in the same room with the TV, radio and internet. Just don't switch them on smile.gif

I agree. I work around noise all day; it's so nice to have silence at home. I honestly don't watch TV either; because there's absolutely nothing on that's not insulting to your intelligence. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 02:59 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 13 2014, 03:12 PM) *
Unfortunately not. Been looking all over the place. It's not THAT big a deal as I can just use my laptop. It has about 6 hours of battery life, or my PX4D which also runs on batteries. Both will provide good enough time for a nice practice session.

Main problem is still that the place is a bit scary and that I'm a sissy laugh.gif

2 words - "Drop Cord". Don't know where you live but I bet it can get cold up there and you will need heat. So a space heater and you laptop off a 25 foot drop cord coming in through the window will power you up.

You have a nice little space to get your "chi" on. If there power within 25 meters of that room, you can get a drop cord to accommodate that. Then, little by little, get things to put up there to inspire you. Like candles, an afghan rug, posters, a freaking lava lamp - something that makes the area dedicated in your mind for the purpose.

Good luck man.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 30 2014, 08:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 29 2014, 01:43 PM) *
This might be your golden heaven sent opportunity to get power up there. Talk to the workers, and find out who the electrician is. Get him a good bottle of American Whiskey, and see if he can "accidentally" put a power receptacle up there for you. Tell him you'll even buy the parts. It could be the best 30euros you've ever spent. smile.gif smile.gif

That is how this job is done wink.gif Ben, listen to our friend John smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 29 2014, 01:47 PM) *
You are Buddha!

Eh, if I were Buddha, there would be a whole army of people praying around my house biggrin.gif All I see is an empty street, now that I raised my glance up to the window

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2014, 07:46 AM
Great minds think alike!! smile.gif Start small and work up, just like scales/chords/etc. Being able to focus is yet another skill that really helps in your journey to Shredorama Heaven. It benefits other areas of life as well so it's worth working on smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2014, 03:46 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2014, 02:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2014, 06:46 AM) *
Great minds think alike!! smile.gif Start small and work up, just like scales/chords/etc. Being able to focus is yet another skill that really helps in your journey to Shredorama Heaven. It benefits other areas of life as well so it's worth working on smile.gif

It benefits EVERY area of life and it has become an art in itself, because of the times we live in. Nowadays, there's literally SWARMS of information and noise going on around you ALL THE TIME. You can be spared if you live in a forest smile.gif The majority of people can't do too much valuable stuff with themselves because they can't focus too much and feel like everything is a burden. Then, watch some TV instead and time goes out the window smile.gif It's a tough one, but IT CAN BE GRASPED!

The first step is to realize what you want and see what keeps you grounded for real smile.gif For some the question can be reduced to: Is it the fact that I work or the fact that I procrastinate?

In your situation, we are talking about something else, but you CAN beat it smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:00 AM