Hand Position While Picking, Floating/Non floating, open/closed
Dave Rock
Mar 11 2008, 11:30 AM
GMC:er
llo all,

after my intro, now a short post about my current issue!

I've been playing 16th notes on 120-130bpm for a while now. It seems that I do not get any further then this and something mechanically is blocking me. Why do I think this? Well, I can play 16ths at 130 almost infinitely. I don't get tired doing this, but I can't play it any faster.

So I spoke with a guitar teacher that looked at my motion, and he told me NOT to put my hand to rest on the bridge, as this blocks free movement.

So my options are:

- Play with my hand open (so pick between thumb and index and the rest loose) but resting on the bridge
I am used to this, accuracy is good and muting works like a charm, but my other fingers tense up

- Play with my hand open and completly floating, support comes from my arm, which rests on the guitar
Accuracy is a lot less and muting is a bit more difficult, but I notice the freedom of movement

- Play with my hand closed (so pick between thumb and index and the other fingers tucked loosely in my hand) but resting on the bridge
Accuracy seems good, and my other fingers tense up less

- Play with my hand closed completly floating, support comes from my arm, which rests on the guitar
Accuracy is a lot less and muting is a bit more difficult, but I notice the freedom of movement

I can do 16ths at 120bpm with the 4 different ways. But since I am now trying to identify the ideal way to move on with, I am not sure which one is the better future wise.

Advice is appreciated!

Dave

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:56 AM