Marshall 9200 Retubing Advice
Neurologi
Sep 1 2009, 06:34 AM
GMC:er
Hi folks!

I have had good mileage out of the tubes it came with when I bought it; but now that one channel has blown, I am on the prowl for replacements. The problem appears to be the choices available.

Advice dredged up on the net states:

Beware when replacing the original Sovtek 5881 tubes with EL34 tubes as these amps are only 3 rack units high. The Svetlana EL34's and JJ EL34's don't fit, as they are too high! The Svetlana 6L6GC's do fit, but the JJ 6L6GC's don't.

Since I am planning a concurrent retube of the Triaxis, I had hoped to go the JJ route and source all from the same supplier (i.e. Eurotubes) but given the above constraints that is not a viable option. My current predilection is for Tung-Sol 5881 Re-Issues from thetubestore.com which seem to fit the bill .... At least, the specs suggest they will fit whereas many other choices won't.

Hoping someone out there has some experience in this department. A forum search turns up that at least Juan M. Valero uses one and MickeM was apparently a potential prospective buyer at some stage a while back. Although, it appears he is giving up the tube thing altogether and going solid state ... So, maybe not? tongue.gif

Cheers,
Ken

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2009, 08:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm not down the solid state route just yet laugh.gif some fuzz around here may lead to that I'm ending up in two bands in new locations where as I will need my H&K in atleast one and we'll about ss or tube in the other. It's heaven and hell biggrin.gif

I don't have any knowledge about the 9200. All I do know is what you already stated that it can run on EL34 or 5881. If it had been a head I'm sure too tall tubes could be fit with some slight rebuilding but since the 9200 shall fit in a rack and has a metal roofing its not an option really. ...unless you make new holes on top to fit the roofing and add a distance between the unit and the roofing. You could peak into the inside and it's take up three rack units but you could make any tube fit.

You'd drill four holes in the top folded lip (only the black side parts), put the holes close surrounding the tubes so the top won't hang down touching the tubes. Then add washers for height and sequre the top with screw and nut.

Small dimensions of holes and screws gives minimal damage to a nice piece of gear, but anything for the best sound, right? wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 2 2009, 03:49 PM
Haha. I did read in your topic about your woes with over eager communists. I thought they were driven out in the 30's and 40's? Ah well. Long live the revolution! wink.gif

Shock! ohmy.gif Horror! huh.gif You are not seriously suggesting I drill holes are you?! Hehe! Your suggestion did give me the idea though that I could just simply leave the "top off" in the event I chose a set of tubes that don't quite fit. Sounds a tad "dirty" that, eh?! tongue.gif

I don't do gigs anymore so I don't need to be hauling the rack around everywhere. It can just be at peace in the corner. Therefore, I don't have to be so paranoid about knocking the tubes by accident. Besides, I always keep a 1U space free above it for a little air flow. I would mainly like to keep it in as close to original condition as possible in case I decide to sell it down the track and trade for a Mesa unit instead which was my original preference but I happened on a good deal for this by accident as I was deciding.

I have opened it all up some time ago since I needed to suss out where the bias pots are etc. The electronics are really packed and very difficult to work with. Even so, it's a very clean design and well thought out, just not very maintenance friendly. Most unfortunate is the very small clearance between the tube head and the top of the roofing so checking dimensions of any replacement tubes is key ... before I buy.

While I am at it. Your own preferences? 5881 or EL34? From what I understand, 5881 is the fatter option and the EL34s are the more treble? If so, give me the 5881s, please! smile.gif

Cheers, man!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 2 2009, 04:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Just watch out for the shock hazard when running with the top off.
Yeah... I suggested drilling a few holes, blasphemy laugh.gif

I prefer EL34 mostly because of their warm british character. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 2 2009, 04:15 PM
Ah cool. Thanks. Nice to have a gear head around to save me from myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:12 PM