4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Beginner Improvisation Help, A "starting point" rough guide
Rating 5 V
Chris Evans
Jul 10 2008, 07:42 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Jul 10 2008, 07:32 PM) *
I looove this lesson biggrin.gif ! Thank you!! It's really simple enough for me to grasp myself around! I don't know what I'd do without this approach!

gr8 smile.gif glad it helped you out some smile.gif I`ll try and do some more like this soon in the future smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 1 2008, 01:37 PM
GMC:er
Hmmm i never check out this section of the forums... This is an awesome lesson, i like the way you mix things up...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 1 2008, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Sep 1 2008, 01:37 PM) *
Hmmm i never check out this section of the forums... This is an awesome lesson, i like the way you mix things up...

thanks mate, theres lots of great lessons in the Student instructor board smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 1 2008, 10:08 PM
I figured id give this a shot and get you input on it, Mr. Smells.. this is just an awesome lesson hiding over here in the student lessons... thanks for it

I just finished two takes on it, one with some wah added into it just for fun... youre right this is a nice backing

any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Sep 1 2008, 10:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 1 2008, 10:42 PM
I actually like the second one better with the wah added to it... i love my wah wah... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 1 2008, 10:56 PM
hey mate, thanks for taking a shot at the backing, its David Wallimans backing and it sure is cool smile.gif

ok, same comments apply to both takes really, (I thought the wah was quite a nice sound actually smile.gif)

I think mainly refering to this backing you need to just reel yourself in a little,
contol and hold some notes, try and come up with a melody line and add your faster flourishes around it to flower and pep it up a bit smile.gif
on longer notes add some nice vibrato to give it feel and emotion,
theres some nice playing there, a few off key notes, but nothing too major,
work on your bends some more, making sure they are strong and bending to the correct note.
try and use faster licks/passages to build up to something,
another thing you could try on a slower backing like this is to build up your solo at the start to a bigger climax at the end.
I`ll do another lesson based on this lesson very soon, revisit it to give you a better idea of what I mean smile.gif

keep recording your takes though and listen back

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 2 2008, 01:24 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Sep 1 2008, 10:56 PM) *
hey mate, thanks for taking a shot at the backing, its David Wallimans backing and it sure is cool smile.gif

ok, same comments apply to both takes really, (I thought the wah was quite a nice sound actually smile.gif)

I think mainly refering to this backing you need to just reel yourself in a little,
contol and hold some notes, try and come up with a melody line and add your faster flourishes around it to flower and pep it up a bit smile.gif
on longer notes add some nice vibrato to give it feel and emotion,
theres some nice playing there, a few off key notes, but nothing too major,
work on your bends some more, making sure they are strong and bending to the correct note.
try and use faster licks/passages to build up to something,
another thing you could try on a slower backing like this is to build up your solo at the start to a bigger climax at the end.
I`ll do another lesson based on this lesson very soon, revisit it to give you a better idea of what I mean smile.gif

keep recording your takes though and listen back

Im looking forward to your lessons... you are a great teacher

--------------------

+Quote Post
Soolas
Sep 2 2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Smells, thank you for the lesson.. this are the lessons I need :-)

--------------------
Guitar: Mayones Setius Pro Lizard, Epiphone G-400
Amp: VOX AD30VT-XL

my english is not the best!!! ;-)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 3 2008, 12:34 AM
QUOTE (Soolas @ Sep 2 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Hey Smells, thank you for the lesson.. this are the lessons I need :-)

your welcome, I`d like to do more lessons like this with spoken and playing examples, its not always possible though for me to do these, most of my available time is in the evening, unfortunatly when my daughter is asleep in the room next to my office/rock space smile.gif

I have a few lessons in the making and I`m aiming at some simple soloing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 3 2008, 02:27 AM
I just tried it again and tried to build up to some taping... held my notes a little longer and used some vibrato...

check it out and let me know please...

thanks chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 3 2008, 09:32 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Sep 3 2008, 02:27 AM) *
I just tried it again and tried to build up to some taping... held my notes a little longer and used some vibrato...

check it out and let me know please...

thanks chris

at work at the moment so not able to listen till I get home tonight, will leave you some comments later smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 3 2008, 07:23 PM
yea, big improvement mate over the last takes smile.gif

guitar tone is still a little harsh, but thats only a minor thing,

sure theres a few bits that need cleaning up but thats what practice is all about, much better control, and the faster bits where more fitting with the backing, good job mate, keep it up smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 3 2008, 07:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great one ^^ I basicly suck at improv, so this is gonna help me a lot =)

We need more of your lovely english voice in these videos ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 3 2008, 11:23 PM
This is perhaps one of the best lessons here on gmc.. the way you walk us through what youre doing is a huge help, from just using the scale in timing to adding licks in the scale in time, and to see it all happen as you explain it... it was awesome, i hope youre going to do some more soon like this one

maybe one on moving between two scale boxes with a backing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 3 2008, 11:30 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Sep 3 2008, 11:23 PM) *
maybe one on moving between two scale boxes with a backing

thats a good topic, I`ll see what I can come up with, I`ll do my best, thanks, I wasnt too sure about the two spoken vids I did at first, but if they have been of use then thats great biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 4 2008, 05:18 AM
This is great!! I love the other Gilmour style lessons, but this one sets you free to just GO. Makes it much easier to "feel" your own way through it, instead of copying an exact tab. It's great when it's tabbed so you can see how it's done, but for those of us who can handle one or more boxes already, this is very exciting to play, it sounds like I know what I'm doing!!

I still wish we had a repository for interesting backing tracks we could download at will.

Thanks Smells.

Edit: HOLY MOJO, I can play slide doing this and it sounds awesome!!!

This post has been edited by jdriver: Sep 4 2008, 05:57 AM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 6 2008, 04:39 PM
been working double shifts all week... so i havent had time to mess with this stuff much, but i just recorded this now and was trying to work on my phrasing... tongue.gif i know people are probably getting tired of listening to my takes on this lesson..

I also made the backing track longer to have more time to get in the feel of it... heres my phrasing attempt and the longer backing track to jam to... enjoy

I also tried to keep somewhat of a base pattern in the solo before and after my speed run

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Sep 6 2008, 07:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 6 2008, 09:09 PM
hey mate, soz for the delay in replying,

yea not bad smile.gif
improving on your previous takes, few little timing issues nothing too bad though, theres a better feel with the backing now, your obviously playing with this one a lot smile.gif

Try and relax a bit more to be a little smoother and more laid back, it`ll come smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 8 2008, 06:59 PM
Can you give some hints or pointers on how you're getting the tone you're using for this lesson? I'm having trouble coming up with a satisfying alternative. I can't seem to get quite enough bite and sustain, especially on the upper octave.

Using a Strat here and a Pandora PX5D, which can do pretty much anything.

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 8 2008, 07:27 PM
hmm, well I`m using a POD XT, Using a high gain amp head with a 2x12" cab simulator.

in terms of dials, Bass,mid & treb all at 3 o clock position, gain about 2 o clock, effects are a tube screamer, tiny bit of chorus, some delay and some reverb, thats about it, not sure thats going to help you too much? soz

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:03 AM