Adrian Smith Signature Jackson
Spock
Feb 16 2014, 08:24 PM
GMC:er
Attached Image

I just dropped my PRS guitar off to have it set-up and decided to purchase one of these - never played one, and have not even seen one in real life yet. It's being shipped to me so I won't know what it's like until later this week sometime.

I have read some really nice reviews about this guitar, and thought it would be a nice inexpensive mid-range to have.

I'm hoping it's not a total let-down, a bit apprehensive, but I wanted a fun guitar with lock-in nuts, thin 9 strings and a Floyd Rose.

They're only $500. I figured if I don't like the stock pickups, I could put the ones from my PRS in the humbucker spot and cover the single-coils with a new pick guard.

I'm very intrigued by the compound-radius neck and can't wait to feel it. Anyone ever played one of these?

My wife is going to kill me. huh.gif

Here's the specs...
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/san-...ard-snow-white/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Hajduk
Feb 16 2014, 10:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
I love that style of guitar, never played one myself but really like the look. Congrats

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2014, 11:25 PM
I have been curious about these smile.gif Let us know how it goes and record audio/video asap!! It's based on a classic SAN DIMAS Jackson which costs thousands. I really want to know about the neck. I'm wondering if it will feel thick?

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Feb 16 2014, 02:24 PM) *
Attached Image

I just dropped my PRS guitar off to have it set-up and decided to purchase one of these - never played one, and have not even seen one in real life yet. It's being shipped to me so I won't know what it's like until later this week sometime.

I have read some really nice reviews about this guitar, and thought it would be a nice inexpensive mid-range to have.

I'm hoping it's not a total let-down, a bit apprehensive, but I wanted a fun guitar with lock-in nuts, thin 9 strings and a Floyd Rose.

They're only $500. I figured if I don't like the stock pickups, I could put the ones from my PRS in the humbucker spot and cover the single-coils with a new pick guard.

I'm very intrigued by the compound-radius neck and can't wait to feel it. Anyone ever played one of these?

My wife is going to kill me. huh.gif

Here's the specs...
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/san-...ard-snow-white/

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 17 2014, 03:07 AM
I did find this awesome review which settles my nerves a little bit...

Jackson Adrian Smith SDX

On first inspection, the guitar is still achingly pretty, and just on the right side of retro
When Adrian Smith's signature model was released by Jackson, few could have possibly denied its workmanlike aura or its 'girl next door' good looks. As a USA Jackson, its price was on the thick end of £1,800, leaving the guitar out of reach for all but the most well-heeled of Maiden fanatics.

Luckily for us, the good folks at the pointy headstock company have come up with a more affordable version. There are a lot of quality shred guitars out there vying for your hard earned, though, and the SDX has a lot to prove if it wants to be king of the hill.

"No bells, no whistles: the SDX is just a classic shred guitar"
Naturally, there are differences between the SDX and its USA-made brother. Where the original has an alder body and ebony 'board option, the Indian-built SDX has basswood and rosewood, and rather than DiMarzio and Fender pickups, here we have a Jackson humbucker and two noiseless single coils.

These do bring about tonal differences, but we'll get to those shortly. On first inspection, the guitar is still achingly pretty, and just on the right side of retro. No bells, no whistles, just a classic shred guitar with Adrian Smith's seal of approval stamped on the end of the headstock.

Speak to owners of USA-made Jacksons and chances are their favourite part of the guitar will be the neck. On the SDX, you have the traditional Jackson slim D profile with 22 massive frets.

"While £500 does buy you a lot of guitar these days, the SDX feels a step above many"
It's here you start to notice that the guitar really does belie its rather humble price point and, while £500 does buy you a lot of guitar these days, the SDX feels a step above many. The frets are immaculately finished and the oiled maple neck a joy to motor around on. Allied to the surprisingly good build quality, this imparts a premium feel to the SDX.

Sounds

Tonally, the body might not quite enjoy the snap and sparkle of the alder-bodied original, but we've always found basswood to be a great tonewood anyway, particularly once you're piling on the gain.

The bridge humbucker is plenty powerful, with just enough detail to prevent it sliding into the woolly morass suffered by many lower end units, and the single coils give you more than a sniff of Strat flavour, making the SDX a versatile guitar indeed considering its heavy metal association. The Floyd Rose Special bridge also does a solid job of keeping you in tune, no matter how crazy you get.

A versatile guitar capable of covering many bases, and perfect for nailing your favourite Maiden tunes? What more could you need, bar the white high tops and tight strides? Okay then, Wasted Years on four: one, two, three...

MusicRadar Rating

5 stars

Pros
Sounds and feels like a guitar twice its price. Looks great.

Cons
Nothing.

Verdict

A bit of a game changer in the sub-£500 guitar market. The SDX could convince you it's worth double the street price: no small feat.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews/guita...mith-sdx-566277

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 17 2014, 06:41 PM
Since the guitar will hold absolutely no resale value whatsoever - after I change the pickup, I think I'm going to graffiti the hell out of it.

Been playing with this idea this morning...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 20 2014, 10:52 PM
I got it yesterday. I have to say I love that neck!!! The closest thing I have felt to it I guess would be maybe my friends Tele neck. It's wide and thin and I can get my sausages in between the strings.

But, I'm just not feeling that guitar. The pups sound like ass, and the humbucker is sort of loose. The standard bar cords sound great on the top E, but lead tone is horrid.

I called Guitar Center and told them I would be returning it. There are a couple of things on it that just come across as cheap to me too.

I told the salesman I want to go with the SLX Soloist - I've got to have that compound radius neck. This guitar is not overly expensive either at $600 and I like the quilted sunburst look too.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 23 2014, 09:12 PM
Scatter brained and excited...

Hoping to get this model. Jackson Soloist SLX (Natural). I ended up trading in my Ibanez MMM Baritone, got $300 for it, someone will enjoy that guitar, I put a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon and a 59 in it when I got it.

Guitar Center does not stock this particular finish but said they could get it - so I am hoping so. Anyway, just typing to be typing as I started this thread thrilled about the other guitar.

Attached Image

Still have not gotten back my PRS back - they had to order a 3-way toggle switch that will fit it, I'll make recordings with the Zakk Wylde EMGs when I get it. Also learning Wasted Years by Iron Maiden for this Jackson - having difficulty with that fast part in the solo that goes like 17 reps - but watched the live version and it's much less intimidating to me watching Adrian Smith not play it lick for lick.

But what is cool, and I always lived by (as a cheap excuse of a guitar player when I played in cover bands), was that I didn't have to play the stuff not for note, but hit the key notes and keep the feel of the solo. My fingers will never be fast.

Please excuse my rambling.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 23 2014, 09:32 PM
Instructor
Ha ha ha ! This is what happens when You play on Fender all Your life but other brand is first with endorsement proposition biggrin.gif Sometimes I think the same with Andy T. If Fender would propose him collaboration before Ibanez...he would probably be a member of Fender family. I read some interviews, I listen to his tone, I was his playing. His a typycal start player for me...in a good way...and he was not hidding with this biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 23 2014, 09:53 PM
Not sure I totally understand, but evidently there is an expensive model of the Adrian Smith Jackson - like $1,500 or something. I just wanted a good cheap guitar, but then decided I wanted a good mid-range guitar after playing on a cheap guitar with an artists name on it. I will say, that neck could have been built onto any guitar in existence and would have suited me - the feel was incredible - it sold me onto Jackson. Actually this forum sold me onto Jackson with all the people here that swear by them - I'm a believer!!! I'm also a Tele believer too - but the body style I just don't like unless it's customized to the hilt - costing another bucketload of cash.

When I saw Iron Maiden the first time in 85 or 86, Adrian came out with that explorer looking guitar? Here's a pic that looks like the first tour I saw them on…

Attached Image

And he also played, what until recently I thought was a Strat, but just started noticing was a Jackson.

You're right - Jackson did put a guitar in his hands, from what they witnessed of him playing, and asked him to help them design a model perfect for him - and he said, "I just like something that plays good out of the box". And they endorsed him.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 23 2014, 10:03 PM
Instructor
that's a part of music history. Players were always related to brands and their support smile.gif I was just guessing so thank You for some more research smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 23 2014, 10:17 PM
You go it - I got that because of Adrian's signature. I will say, I wish that had been my first electric guitar as opposed to the cheap yellow Ibanez I got. It most likely would have inspired me to play more at an early age with the action of that neck being so sweet. It took me purchasing a cheap Yamaha to understand the feel I thought I wanted - and even to this day, experimenting.

I still suck, but at least I like the way my guitar necks feel. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2014, 02:46 AM
Sadly, this time, not following "The Rules of Acquisition" turned out like it usually does. With a return and or resale. sad.gif That's life in the big city and the good news is Guitar Center has a great return policy!!

I broke the rules myself and bought an import gunslinger off the web. It was HORRIBLE but after installing a new pickup, having the frets dressed/leveled, having it setup and then doing it again myself it's much better. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Feb 23 2014, 04:17 PM) *
You go it - I got that because of Adrian's signature. I will say, I wish that had been my first electric guitar as opposed to the cheap yellow Ibanez I got. It most likely would have inspired me to play more at an early age with the action of that neck being so sweet. It took me purchasing a cheap Yamaha to understand the feel I thought I wanted - and even to this day, experimenting.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 24 2014, 10:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Feb 23 2014, 10:17 PM) *

Some guitars are worth giving a credit of trust. If You not own an advanced knowledge and experience in guitar adjustment field, then You usually judge the instrument for the first touch, the way it's given to You. Very often factory setup is not matched with Your expectations and it affects Your opinion. There is a lot of cheap guitars that can give You descent sound but...most of them needs some luthier's help to be fully workable. Somehow I understand Your frustration but at the same time I know how much You can squeeze from a cheap instrument as well smile.gif
I hope You'll find a guitar perfect for You someday smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 26 2014, 12:00 PM
I decided against a new guitar, for now anyway. I just picked up one of my PRSs from being set up PERFECTLY and dropped the other one off. That guitar has NEVER played better! The action is sweet, the strings are low with no buzz - I have never felt that guitar feel so awesome! A new guitar would be a waste of money. So I'm going to put that money towards my set-up, I'm getting an awful buzz in front of the amp in my stomp boxes somewhere, and my delay in the FX loop is sounding like muddy garbage.

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 22 2014, 02:23 AM
Okay so, I took the Adrian Smith Jackson back. Purchased a Pod HD500X and got my 2 PRS guitars set up to where I was ecstatic and didn't want another guitar.

So, I got this cheap little hot pink Ibanez to keep at the office and practice on quietly...

Attached Image

Couldn't play it because my fingers are too fat for that little fretboard, plus, it was a hunk of junk and it would have taken another $40 to have that guitar set right - which I just wasn't interested in doing.

So, I went up to Guitar Center and talked with my favorite sales guy, and he turned me onto this Jackson Dinky which was used, and being sold for $200. It is listed in "FAIR" condition. My only requirements are that it will stay in tune, I could care less what the pups sound like. Anyway, he said this is a 97 Dinky and he knew I would love the neck on it, so, I went ahead and purchased another guitar I have never laid my hands on, but this one I will keep, I don't care if it's made out of balsa wood - I just want a good feeling neck - and the salesman said this was very similar to the Ibanez Wizard.

Anyway - I hope I love this $200 guitar. If so, I will make it look cool, I just hope this is a good "cheap" guitar.

Attached Image

If I keep it, and I hope I do, I would like to strip the paint off and make it look like this one...

Attached Image

The drama continues.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 22 2014, 10:38 AM
QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 22 2014, 01:23 AM) *
The drama continues.

biggrin.gif

Yeah I also checked that little Ibanez series for travel stuff and the quality wasn't good, they revamped them this years but though I didn't check the prices are also higher.

That Jackson you bought does look in good condition, seems the hardware is renewed. If the frets are in good condition too (and you like the feel) I'd say keep it, its not like affordable guitars are getting any better as time passes smile.gif

The customization you want though I'd expect it to cost more than the guitar itself, specially if you want a decent job done. Why not place a pickguard if you don't want an all black guitar? the options are amazing these day wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 22 2014, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 22 2014, 02:23 AM) *
Okay so, I took the Adrian Smith Jackson back. Purchased a Pod HD500X and got my 2 PRS guitars set up to where I was ecstatic and didn't want another guitar.

So, I got this cheap little hot pink Ibanez to keep at the office and practice on quietly...

Attached Image

Couldn't play it because my fingers are too fat for that little fretboard, plus, it was a hunk of junk and it would have taken another $40 to have that guitar set right - which I just wasn't interested in doing.

So, I went up to Guitar Center and talked with my favorite sales guy, and he turned me onto this Jackson Dinky which was used, and being sold for $200. It is listed in "FAIR" condition. My only requirements are that it will stay in tune, I could care less what the pups sound like. Anyway, he said this is a 97 Dinky and he knew I would love the neck on it, so, I went ahead and purchased another guitar I have never laid my hands on, but this one I will keep, I don't care if it's made out of balsa wood - I just want a good feeling neck - and the salesman said this was very similar to the Ibanez Wizard.

Anyway - I hope I love this $200 guitar. If so, I will make it look cool, I just hope this is a good "cheap" guitar.

Attached Image

If I keep it, and I hope I do, I would like to strip the paint off and make it look like this one...

Attached Image

The drama continues.

Be aware man! smile.gif Guitar that are made for painting usually are made of less atractiuve pieces of wood. Best always go for natural factory finish. Guitar with solid color (other than natural, transparent) might surprise You when You sand off the paint. The one You posted looks beautiful but if You decide to do the "strip down" be ready for a disappointment as well....

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 22 2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys - good advice from both of you.

Concerning that little Ibanez, out of the box, I couldn't play it. The strings were laying on the frets, I took it and they adjusted the truss rod in the neck, which picked the strings up, but the top E and A never sounded good, it would be in tune, but when you fretted a cord or hit a note it sounded like animals puking.

As far as the finish on the Jackson, I am okay with a solid black guitar, it would be nice to have a cheap guitar and modify it to where it looked really nice and personalized. They make decals for these guitars which I have looked into as well and is probably the least expensive option if I really wanted to personalize or customize it - matter of fact you can create your own design and send it in and they will print it on the material/template for you.

My biggest thing is the neck feeling good. I have pups if I want to put them in it, and I've always loved the look of a guitar that's been beat to hell too - so maybe a less expensive option would be to take a hammer to it, sort of like this video...

I have always loved natural wood guitars and wood never mess with the way they look, but straight up one solid color painted guitars have never been my thing. Even though I have a silver PRS at least the sparkles are unique. I played a white 5 string bass for years and never thought about it - but for some reason, guitars have to be personal to me.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2014, 08:31 PM
You keep buying guitars without touching them it seems and then returning them when you put your hands on them? I've been through this myself but it's a valuable learning process smile.gif I hope this next one is a keeper but I doubt it. sad.gif I've been underwhelmed by any guitar GC listed as "fair" condition in the past. But who knows, maybe this will be the one smile.gif If not, I'd say go put your hands on every guitar on the wall in your price range til you find something that works smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 21 2014, 09:23 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The drama continues.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 22 2014, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 22 2014, 10:08 PM
You're absolutely right Todd. I agree with you 100%. Sometimes it takes a while to learn a lesson - but there's that gambler in me that wants to believe the next one is the right one.

If this one does not work out, I plan on doing exactly what you suggested.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:43 PM