Note For Note ?
Ben Higgins
May 10 2012, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Hey fellow disciples of the axe ! I wondered what your thoughts were on replicating other people's solos ?

What I mean is, how important do you think it is for a guitarist to play another guitarist's solo exactly note for note ?

In famous bands, lead guitarists change.. their successor usually sticks close to the solo. Sometimes they put their own voice on it and other times they try and play it almost exactly the same.

It might seem funny asking this question on a site where we have guitar lessons for you to learn note for note ! biggrin.gif However, I'm applying it to playing live, like in a covers band.. or if you were watching a guitarist who has to play somebody else's solos, like in Megadeth, Ozzy etc..

I don't think it's critically important to learn other people's solos note for note. I think you should just take what you want from it and allow your own style to weave it together. I was reading a George lynch interview (yeah, I'm going through a phase..) and he talks about this in the last question

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p?showforum=215

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 10 2012, 04:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 10 2012, 04:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Playing solos live note for note, I like to hear the important parts and themes. Definitely when learning I think note for note is important, it's definitely where my downfall has been in the past just getting it close, you miss out on the subtle phrasing etc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 10 2012, 04:35 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I can think of quite a few famous players who improvise/ad lib/don't play their own recorded solos note for note. Not because they can't but because they don't want to. If I remember correctly Eddie Jobson argued with Allan Holdsworth because Jobson wanted Holdsworth to play the UK solos note for note but Holdsworth didn't want to cool.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 10 2012, 04:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
For popular cover songs, people expect the notable solos, so I think you should strive for as close to note-for-note you can get. But I also think it's okay to be creative in the areas of the solo that aren't the hi-lite of the song. People generally don't know the details of solos unless they are studying them. I think it's a good exercise to try to nail the solos note for note though. It trains the ear to listen for all the nuances, etc.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 10 2012, 08:10 AM) *
Hey fellow disciples of the axe ! I wondered what your thoughts were on replicating other people's solos ?

What I mean is, how important do you think it is for a guitarist to play another guitarist's solo exactly note for note ?

In famous bands, lead guitarists change.. their successor usually sticks close to the solo. Sometimes they put their own voice on it and other times they try and play it almost exactly the same.

It might seem funny asking this question on a site where we have guitar lessons for you to learn note for note ! biggrin.gif However, I'm applying it to playing live, like in a covers band.. or if you were watching a guitarist who has to play somebody else's solos, like in Megadeth, Ozzy etc..

I don't think it's critically important to learn other people's solos note for note. I think you should just take what you want from it and allow your own style to weave it together. I was reading a George lynch interview (yeah, I'm going through a phase..) and he talks about this in the last question

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p?showforum=215

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:32 AM