> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Adam
Apr 2 2019, 11:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 2 2019, 12:51 AM) *
Great! It would be good if you also share it with Cael since he composed the tune, what do you think?

Sure, that's a great idea! I'll talk to him when I'm finished writing smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2019, 03:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 2 2019, 07:06 PM) *
Sure, that's a great idea! I'll talk to him when I'm finished writing smile.gif

Excellent!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 17 2019, 09:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 3 2019, 03:57 AM) *
Excellent!! smile.gif

I'm sorry for not writing for a while. I got into a depression and I took a few days off and went to the mountains to think things over without internet and other distractions. It got a little better but I'm neutral about literally everything now. I feel bad about missing the collab, especially since it was my idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2019, 08:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 17 2019, 06:23 PM) *
I'm sorry for not writing for a while. I got into a depression and I took a few days off and went to the mountains to think things over without internet and other distractions. It got a little better but I'm neutral about literally everything now. I feel bad about missing the collab, especially since it was my idea.

Hi Adam, I'm sorry about this!! I can wait for your take if you can work on it during the weekend! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 20 2019, 12:29 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2019, 08:22 PM) *
Hi Adam, I'm sorry about this!! I can wait for your take if you can work on it during the weekend! smile.gif

I'll just sit down with a guitar until I get a satisfying take. I've tried recording today but the right e string broke and I changed the whole set. Couldn't do much because they were stretching. I tuned them half step up, as Darius suggested in his tutorial iirc, so tomorrow it should be ready to rock! (After some more stretching, that is).

Does it matter if I'm using a plastic, wooden or alu pick? I mostly use Dunlop Tortex (other materials feel somehow bad and uncomfortable) and alu TecPick. I like the sharp attack of alu but I think it wears down the strings faster than Tortex.

I'm designing my own alu pick and I'll look up some video tutorials on that. If I get anywhere with the project, I'll show you the results smile.gif Doing artistic things or physical activities helps me much more than any pills at times like this and I somehow just started working on this without thinking too much. I think it's because the satisfaction of a job well done and the effort put in it are bigger than the negative feelings. And when I'm physically tired, I don't have any energy left to feel down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 21 2019, 12:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I put a video and mp3 file in the collab thread, hope that's not too late. I gave up on the singing part because that thing I wrote turned out too personal and I scrapped that. It's not that great but I feel I'm making progress in improvising and I had some fun while recording. I didn't think about what to play or even how should I start. Nor did I re-try a few times before getting that one good take. Each take was different and really improvised and I chose one I liked most smile.gif For earlier Collabs I recorded lick by lick or made few attempts to play one solo well, not anymore!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 21 2019, 11:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2019, 04:00 PM
Instructor
Nice Adam!! I really like those phrases and how you played it! Well done mate!! It’s not late at all!!

The problem is that I need a mix version to sync your take with the backing, is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 21 2019, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 21 2019, 04:00 PM) *
Nice Adam!! I really like those phrases and how you played it! Well done mate!! It’s not late at all!!

The problem is that I need a mix version to sync your take with the backing, is it possible?

Thank you! smile.gif I'm glad I made it in time.

Here it is. I'll attach a mp3 file in a moment in case you need that one too.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 21 2019, 10:09 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Meta_Mix.mp3 ( 735.3K ) Number of downloads: 64

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2019, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Excellent!! Thanks a lot Adam!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 22 2019, 10:23 PM
Learning Roadie
I've managed to memorize the opening part of Tornado of Souls' solo and I thought I'd share it with you smile.gif I have a lot of lessons overdue already and I shouldn't really add another one to the mix - I know there are Megadeth lessons at GMC, even the very solo too. But I feel bad working on many lessons simultaneously because completing any specific one is delayed a bit. I'm hoping to post 2 lessons this week because I'll have more time for practice! The one about picking hand is basically just a matter of recording but I won't consider it done until you say I passed.

Could you please let me know if there are major mistakes that I should focus on ASAP in this video besides phrasing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2019, 06:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! How are you mate?

Thanks for your update! I'm not convinced of the first bend that you are playing for Tornado's solo. The other parts doesn't sound bad at all, maybe the last phrase is could sound cleaner.

Some inspiration!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 25 2019, 01:06 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 24 2019, 06:19 PM) *
Hi Adam! How are you mate?

Thanks for your update! I'm not convinced of the first bend that you are playing for Tornado's solo. The other parts doesn't sound bad at all, maybe the last phrase is could sound cleaner.

Some inspiration!

Thank you for asking! I'm much better now but I may need to look for a new group of friends. It feels like I'm a part of them but I'm not at the same time. It's hard to describe. But I got a new hobby to pass time - assembling warships models smile.gif Listening to Sabaton really makes the atmosphere and when the Bismarck played I grabbed my guitar and eventually figured out the main riff and half of the solo! smile.gif My mom likes them, so I might pay more attention to their songs in the future.

Thanks for your feedback on the video. Do you mean the opening bend? I'm still learning that lesson and my natural bending is quite bluesy. I'll improve it for sure! I'm not sure if my approach is okay but when learning a new piece I start by getting familiar with the notes' sequence and when I get comfortable with it, I move on to the phrasing. This song is meaningful to me and I won't rest until I learn it whole, so it will get cleaner too smile.gif

Thank you for the video! I found another one, too. Marty looks very happy there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2019, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! That Marty's video doesn't work for me.

Yes, I reffer to the first bend which is not precise. Check out Marty's or Kiko's versions. The other parts are much closer. That's a very tricky solo but it's one of the most amazing metal solos ever! I love it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 25 2019, 02:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2019, 02:23 PM) *
Hi Adam! That Marty's video doesn't work for me.

Yes, I reffer to the first bend which is not precise. Check out Marty's or Kiko's versions. The other parts are much closer. That's a very tricky solo but it's one of the most amazing metal solos ever! I love it.

I'm thinking it's maybe better to focus on the bending and vibrato lessons and when I clear them I'll go back to Tornado and try applying it there. And try the next part maybe if I manage this one well enough. I'm clearly lacking skills in both and I'm not sure if watching just performance videos would help here. I've been working on the bending lesson you suggested earlier and I'm maybe even close to shoot a video smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2019, 04:54 PM
Instructor
Excelent!! Looking forward your video!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 27 2019, 09:13 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2019, 04:54 PM) *
Excelent!! Looking forward your video!! smile.gif

I'll shoot it tomorrow. I wanted to practice as much as I could but I don't seem to improve much with every session. I'll just record what my vibrato is like now and we will have to work bit by bit to improve it. I'm doing way better with the bending lesson but I can't do two-strings-bends well. The high E string is somehow muted. I'll practice some more over night on phone mode but I don't expect to get any better now.

At first I thought I should post the videos only once I can play the lesson and I wasted a lot of time that way. I'm sorry about that and thank you for being patient.

With every attempt at Sabaton's, Friedman's or Becker's piece, or any other, I begin to realize improving these two techniques is a key to play anything at a satisfying level. Breaking through the two barriers will probably let me progress faster in anything else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 28 2019, 11:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I did both Vibrato and Bending lessons, well. partially.

I thought there's no point going for the whole lesson if I'm lacking the technique to do it properly.

About the vibrato part:

I'm getting used to bending the string up and down at a slow/moderate speed but I still need hours of practice to get it right. It's better than before but I need your help to advance it.

The wide vibrato - both fast and slow, there was nothing to record. I think it will come naturally once I improve on the more basic version. I can't do it at all at the moment and I really tried for a long time.

Classical vibrato - something is there but it's nowhere near what it should be. I like this one the most but I find it difficult to do it barely audible. I want to believe it's not the fault of my guitar's frets but rather my own. I've found a separate video about this on YouTube by our own Ben. He's really amazing and he does it effortlessly, it seems!

I'll definitely try more of his lessons after I learn the basics. I also found his lesson on YJM's vibrato. It's very interesting but too advanced for me now.

Last but not least, the index finger vibrato. This one is probably one I'm most comfortable with and since I got advice here at GMC to perform this vibrato using the finger as a lever against the guitar's neck, it really improved!

And now to the bending:

I'm used to bluesy bending but I never took time to practice it before joining GMC, so it was a shot in the dark but I think I'm getting the correct pitch most of the time. As I said before, the two-strings bends need the most attention from what I observed. I've noticed the higher string doesn't get muted when I'm using a guitar with higher strings action But it's still not what it should be.

I hope you're not disappointed with this video. I believe I'll make progress faster with your help even if my technique is so horrible that I can't play the whole lessons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2019, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam, great to see you working hard!

The bending lesson is not souding bad! I would like to hear you playing it over the backing track, maybe at a slower tempo. But you are reaching the right pitches and there are not unwanted noises.

The vibrato section has more issues. There are many unwanted noises and your vibrato is not natural. What lesson are you playing? I would go for a easier one that doesn't combine different type of vibratos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 29 2019, 05:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 29 2019, 02:12 PM) *
Hi Adam, great to see you working hard!

The bending lesson is not souding bad! I would like to hear you playing it over the backing track, maybe at a slower tempo. But you are reaching the right pitches and there are not unwanted noises.

The vibrato section has more issues. There are many unwanted noises and your vibrato is not natural. What lesson are you playing? I would go for a easier one that doesn't combine different type of vibratos.

Thank you!

I will start practicing it over the backing track but currently I'm focusing on the double bend part.

These are the lessons you suggested before:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

I also found Ben's YouTube tutorials and tried using them to get better understanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlY0-YAFta4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXPuLAs3PU

I found this lesson by Darius and it's on the same difficulty level as the one I've tried before. Should I go for it or is there anything that is more suitable for me? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/

I'm aware of the string noise issue but I don't know how to eliminate it. Is the vibrato I'm doing in the video okay besides it or is there something wrong about it too?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2019, 04:49 AM
Instructor
I think that it's a good idea to practice that bending lesson (the first that you play in the video) over the backing track, because you are playing it a lot faster and without reaching the right pitches. Maybe playing them over the original lesson can work as well. I also notice that you are playing it with more strength and that makes it sound aggressive and nervous. If you play it more relaxed, some of the unwanted noises will disappear, while others should be muted with the palm of your right hand (muting the lower strings).

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:39 AM