Pick Size
Tenma
May 17 2008, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
I know this is probly covered somewhere in the forums, but alas, I could not find it. (If it is, please throw a me link for it.)

I was wondering What are the particular diffrences in pick size (Thickness). Is it just preference or are there technical differences?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tenma: May 17 2008, 02:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 17 2008, 03:09 AM
These are all i use.... the most comfortable, best pick i have found... I havent worn one out yet, and it fits your fingers perfect..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dav...Pick?sku=110703

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
May 17 2008, 03:32 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
There are tech. differences but mostly it boils down to what you are comfortable with. Picks can change your tone as well. Dif tips and dif plastics effect the way the pick interacts with the string. I started using Jazz III's from Dunlop a while back and man did it make a difference for ME, again preference. Here's a picture to show a size comparison of a standard Fender style pick versus a Jazz III. I suggest you experiment to find what works best for you.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 17 2008, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ May 16 2008, 09:09 PM) *
These are all i use.... the most comfortable, best pick i have found... I havent worn one out yet, and it fits your fingers perfect..

thanks, gonna give them a try. bought 3 for $5.44 with shipping on ebay here, he still has 9 left. First one costs $2.50 with shipping, each additional $1.50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=010

This is what I have been using, the heavy one. Like them a lot, but will give yours a try. Jazz III are ok, but nothing special in my view. But not everybody holds the pick the same, and we play different, so can't totally generalize on what is optimal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-Pack-of-Cool-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 17 2008, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 17 2008, 04:12 AM
just ordered 3 more of those dava master control picks from dava, alot cheaper than musicians friend.. they have a wide variety of picks heres the site..

http://www.davapick.com/

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 17 2008, 03:48 AM) *
thanks, gonna give them a try. bought 3 for $5.44 with shipping on ebay here, he still has 9 left. First one costs $2.50 with shipping, each additional $1.50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=010

This is what I have been using, the heavy one. Like them a lot, but will give yours a try. Jazz III are ok, but nothing special in my view. But not everybody holds the pick the same, and we play different, so can't totally generalize on what is optimal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-Pack-of-Cool-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem

damn i never thought about using ebay... i just spent $10 for 3 master control picks.... ohhh well, something else i learned from GMC

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tenma
May 17 2008, 04:23 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ May 16 2008, 09:09 PM) *

I've seen picks in that shape, could be the same pics. Im going to try those out, and the dava's and see what works for me.

1 more question though. Im trying to learn Shred guitar and alot of the guitarist I've seen have used fairly heavy pics. I tend to use thin, is there advantages to using a heavier pick in shred techniques?

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 17 2008, 04:26 AM
well the best thing about the master control picks is you can move between thin and thick on the same pick....

check out what is written in this ebay ad... shows you on the pick how to change

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DAVA-Multi-Gauge-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 17 2008, 04:29 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ May 16 2008, 10:12 PM) *
just ordered 3 more of those dava master control picks from dava, alot cheaper than musicians friend.. they have a wide variety of picks heres the site..

http://www.davapick.com/

damn i never thought about using ebay... i just spent $10 for 3 master control picks.... ohhh well, something else i learned from GMC

I did something much worse today, damaged my rear bumper and my boat trailer by not paying attention at the lake while backing up. So I can't feel too good about saving $4.50 or so with astute ebay buying, not after what I did today.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 17 2008, 04:31 AM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 17 2008, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 17 2008, 04:29 AM) *
I did something much worse today, damaged my rear bumper and my boat trailer by not paying attention at the lake while backing up. So I can't feel too good about saving $4.50 or so with astute ebay buying, not after what I did today.

How bad was it? what size boat do you have?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 17 2008, 04:55 AM
The pick you use is not only preference in what feels to best for you, but also for what your goals in guitar playing are. If you want to pick fast and clean, you must use a thicker gauge pick, plain and simple. I think the best way to judge pick thickness is with Tortex Turtle Picks, as they offer ranges from .38mm- ( extremely flimsy ) to 1.5mm+ ( very thick ). If you use a thin pick, when picking fast the bending plastic fibers in the pick experience compression and create "drag" which inevitably slows your hand down slightly. Thick picks also require more control and strength to master, which in return requires more practices to become comfortable picking with them. When I started I used Fender Mediums, which I thought was a heavy gauge. Then I found the Green Torxtex Turtle Picks in .88mm and thought I had found my match. However, both my teachers in real life used Purple Turtles ( 1.14mm ) and I saw in closeup videos that Pavel and Marcus Lavendell also use what I believe to be Purple Turtles, that was enough for me to believe that Purple ( a thicker gauge ) was the route to take, even if it meant more time before I reached the speed I desired; because I know that when I reach that speed, I want to have done it right, and be super accurate... like I read one time, I want to sound like "a baseball card stuck between turning spokes of a bicycle wheel." It took me awhile to get used to how thick the purple turtle was, but now it feels great, and I even bend the green turtle when I pick it up because I hold the pick so tight when I pick fast. I hope that helps. Oh... the flipside, if you dont want to pick lightning fast, pick with whatever feels best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tenma
May 17 2008, 05:02 AM
QUOTE (Jenkinson @ May 16 2008, 10:55 PM) *
The pick you use is not only preference in what feels to best for you, but also for what your goals in guitar playing are. If you want to pick fast and clean, you must use a thicker gauge pick, plain and simple. I think the best way to judge pick thickness is with Tortex Turtle Picks, as they offer ranges from .38mm- ( extremely flimsy ) to 1.5mm+ ( very thick ). If you use a thin pick, when picking fast the bending plastic fibers in the pick experience compression and create "drag" which inevitably slows your hand down slightly. Thick picks also require more control and strength to master, which in return requires more practices to become comfortable picking with them. When I started I used Fender Mediums, which I thought was a heavy gauge. Then I found the Green Torxtex Turtle Picks in .88mm and thought I had found my match. However, both my teachers in real life used Purple Turtles ( 1.14mm ) and I saw in closeup videos that Pavel and Marcus Lavendell also use what I believe to be Purple Turtles, that was enough for me to believe that Purple ( a thicker gauge ) was the route to take, even if it meant more time before I reached the speed I desired; because I know that when I reach that speed, I want to have done it right, and be super accurate... like I read one time, I want to sound like "a baseball card stuck between turning spokes of a bicycle wheel." It took me awhile to get used to how thick the purple turtle was, but now it feels great, and I even bend the green turtle when I pick it up because I hold the pick so tight when I pick fast. I hope that helps. Oh... the flipside, if you dont want to pick lightning fast, pick with whatever feels best.

Thats really interesting. I'll definitely have to try those out, thanks for the input smile.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 17 2008, 05:41 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ May 16 2008, 10:31 PM) *
How bad was it? what size boat do you have?

small bayliner. old one, I replaced the deck on it, did a good job, and turned it into a fishing boat, trolling motor mounted on the back. It is fast enough, I probably go about 25 or 30mph most of the time, just enough to get a good plane so I am not burning gas. Want the boat to last, so don't push it. Also gas is so expensive now, and you really use gas if you push it. Boat was not on the trailer at the time.

not so bad, bumper damage, did not get to the body. you just take a bumper off and replace it. I'll live.

I really almost prefer my Porta-boat to my bayliner. It is plenty fast with the 6hp, and you can beach it anywhere. But the dog definitely likes the big boat. He rides in the bow on a cushion and feels the breeze, looks real relaxed.

If you ever want a neat small boat, get a porta-boat. And you don't need a trailer. Also for me, the fact that I can take it anywhere, beach it anywhere is nice. And it goes about 15mph. It is indestructible, and won't sink. Here is the link. They cost about $1,400 or so, and you buy a motor for a little less than that. But real nice. They sell them everywhere I think, in England I know.

http://porta-bote.com/

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 17 2008, 10:16 AM
Picks are cheap, you can buy alot and try em for yourself. I reccomend Dunlop Tortex picks, I use the .88mm Green big pizza slice shaped picks, but I also use the purple Jazz III shaped tortex picks, cuz I like the accuracy and control of the Jazz III, but I prefer the warmer sound, and smooth attack of Tortex picks.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 17 2008, 09:18 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Of course you have to feel comfortable with your pick, but you should also be aware of the fact that a pick has an influence on your sound too! Try the same lick with different picks and you will see that the sound difference can actually be pretty big sometimes.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus. Pick should be a matter of personal preference, but in the same time, the player should be weary of the different sounds that different picks produce. My advice - if you're not sure about what pickup you need, buy as many as you can and experiment. You will then much quicker find out what suits you best then to stuck with one thickness for months.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tenma
May 19 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'm playing with a 1.44mm Purple tortex at the moment and I really enjoy using a heavy pick. (Quite contrary to my thoughts 4-5 days ago) Im looking to hit up a Guitar Center this weekend and liberate some more pics to experiment with.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:00 AM