2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Improving Tone, Drop C, cosmins metal metrics, and recording
SirJamsalot
May 21 2014, 09:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 16 2014, 05:22 PM) *
Never played that low. I'm pretty new to drop tunings myself. I purchased a new guitar just to have it in drop c all the time.
When you say organic feel, do you mean the deep low end your hearing? If so, when playing in drop tunings you need to use heavy gauge strings and I've noticed when using these heavy string you get a real growl and some low end with lots of sustain, and it sounds awesome if you like hard and heavy. it's better to use a guitar with a longer scale to accommodate the tension using high gauge strings create. DropA I'm sure would be best on a baritone guitar, never played that low. In drop c I use 52-11 and I wouldn't try to string a guitar like a les Paul with them cause of the shorter scale. Really I'm new to this to but this is what I've gathered from playing In dropC.

Organic meaning "grind", or "snappyness" of the string.

The lowest I have dropped my standard 6 string guitar has been C# on the Low E string. C# on a 25 1/2" long neck for me looses it's "umph" and starts to sound "flubby" because there is not enough tension to snap the string back into its original position. That tension is responsible for the punch in the sound.

Baritone guitars have a 27" ? neck scale, which means you can keep the same tension on the lower tuning without sacrificing the "snappy" feel of the string. You should try to find a baritone guitar in a guitar shop and give it a try along side a 25" scale standard guitar with the Low E tuned down to the same note of the low string on the baritone guitar to see what I mean by snappiness.

Anyhoo, everyone has their own preference in feel and sound.

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 22 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 21 2014, 08:57 PM) *
Organic meaning "grind", or "snappyness" of the string.

The lowest I have dropped my standard 6 string guitar has been C# on the Low E string. C# on a 25 1/2" long neck for me looses it's "umph" and starts to sound "flubby" because there is not enough tension to snap the string back into its original position. That tension is responsible for the punch in the sound.

Baritone guitars have a 27" ? neck scale, which means you can keep the same tension on the lower tuning without sacrificing the "snappy" feel of the string. You should try to find a baritone guitar in a guitar shop and give it a try along side a 25" scale standard guitar with the Low E tuned down to the same note of the low string on the baritone guitar to see what I mean by snappiness.

Anyhoo, everyone has their own preference in feel and sound.

Chris

Nice description mate smile.gif I have no issues keeping my 6 string in drop C and even C# standard and a quarter, when I play Pantera, but lower than that ... The baritone comes in smile.gif

My SE Mike Mushok has a 27.7" scale - are there other baritones with a larger scale than that, I wonder?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 23 2014, 09:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 22 2014, 12:16 AM) *
Nice description mate smile.gif I have no issues keeping my 6 string in drop C and even C# standard and a quarter, when I play Pantera, but lower than that ... The baritone comes in smile.gif

My SE Mike Mushok has a 27.7" scale - are there other baritones with a larger scale than that, I wonder?

that is a LONG neck smile.gif
One day, I'll break down and get one. Love that particular model.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2014, 07:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 23 2014, 08:43 PM) *
that is a LONG neck smile.gif
One day, I'll break down and get one. Love that particular model.

It plays great! I just had it set up a few days ago and I will take it onstage tonight with Days of Confusion biggrin.gif It's my first gig playing the guitar with my band smile.gif

Have you tried it so far?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 24 2014, 07:29 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:06 AM