> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Creativity Workout
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 31 2014, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 31 2014, 05:10 PM) *
Hey Spasemoonkey! Check this out! I added drums and bass to your idea. smile.gif

[attachment=36506:spasemoo...th_drums.mp3]

Much thanks! That really makes the difference on the track, also makes me want to buy a bass now. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 31 2014, 06:45 PM) *
Much thanks! That really makes the difference on the track, also makes me want to buy a bass now. smile.gif

hahaha nice to know that you liked it! I didn't use a real bass, I used Trillian, a virtual instrument that works with midi.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 1 2014, 04:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
How do you guys go about writing songs, even if it's just shorter ones? I can come up with lots of different riffs, but I can never seem to connect them, and then they quickly lose their value.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2014, 04:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2014, 12:20 PM) *
How do you guys go about writing songs, even if it's just shorter ones? I can come up with lots of different riffs, but I can never seem to connect them, and then they quickly lose their value.

I would like that any student that provided a musical idea for this workout tells you how he got it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 1 2014, 06:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2014, 08:20 AM) *

The struggle of every musician smile.gif I find that if I record my riff / lick in a DAW to a tempo track and loop just that riff, then pick up a bass and play with different notes to challenge the lick, ideas begin to write themselves and beg for something to follow the riff.

for example if you play 2 notes - alternating between a root and a 5th and a root and a diminished 5 th, then drone a bass note on the root, and move it down the neck 1/2 note ever 2 beats - that root & 5th will take on a new mood every 2 beats, and something in that progression will spark you to want to emphasize or resolve it. You're personal taste will guide how you want to move on from that loop, so record it so your loop is longer now. you'll find yourself creating a song ~ albeit probably not a pop song in this case, but it's an idea.

smile.gif
chris!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 1 2014, 07:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 1 2014, 07:55 PM) *
The struggle of every musician smile.gif I find that if I record my riff / lick in a DAW to a tempo track and loop just that riff, then pick up a bass and play with different notes to challenge the lick, ideas begin to write themselves and beg for something to follow the riff.

for example if you play 2 notes - alternating between a root and a 5th and a root and a diminished 5 th, then drone a bass note on the root, and move it down the neck 1/2 note ever 2 beats - that root & 5th will take on a new mood every 2 beats, and something in that progression will spark you to want to emphasize or resolve it. You're personal taste will guide how you want to move on from that loop, so record it so your loop is longer now. you'll find yourself creating a song ~ albeit probably not a pop song in this case, but it's an idea.

smile.gif
chris!

I'm curious as to how to beat the "this is not really good enough" thoughts that pop into my perfectionistic mind though. I've sort of come to the conclusion that whatever I write has to be as close to perfect as it can be, while of course I know that that's likely never going to happen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 1 2014, 08:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I usually start with some chords, then turn them into a progression. Then give it different grooves or drum beats, then try to sing a melody in my head or out loud. What really has help me a lot is to try to listen to different genres of music. Some guitaris usually become one trick ponies because they just don't listen to nothing else. Listening to other genres really expand your musical ideas and guitar skills. I most of the time start with one of my acoustic guitars so I can listen to the notes clean without any distortion or effects. Just pure musical notes. Also keep in mind that your mood or emotions play a big role on your music writing skills. Also try to get inspiration by doing different activities other than just playing guitar, for example try too exercise every day the extra flow of blood will bring more oxygen to your brain, try to do a little photography or site exploration , nature and fresh air works wonders. Also seek some king of spiritual inspiration. You could try to meditate or any other thing the can make you relax and make your head clear.Remember music comes from within. Just my 2 cents it works for me!!!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 1 2014, 09:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2014, 11:32 AM) *
I'm curious as to how to beat the "this is not really good enough" thoughts that pop into my perfectionistic mind though. I've sort of come to the conclusion that whatever I write has to be as close to perfect as it can be, while of course I know that that's likely never going to happen.

I have no idea ~ that's a personal battle we all have to overcome. Sometimes it's best to beat that feeling back with a stick and just give it a go by recording the imperfect piece for the sake of getting the song structure down from start to finish. Once you have a structure, it's easy to go back and change pieces (to a certain degree). I really have no answer to that though. Perfectionism is a great thing to have, but as you know, it can also be debilitating. Sometimes getting something imperfect done is better than getting a perfect nothing done smile.gif I share your struggle! Perhaps we can help each other overcome it?

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2014, 06:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2014, 03:32 PM) *

This is something that we have to learn to manage, it mustn't stop us to create. Some tips about this:

Don't block yourself. Let the ideas flow. Don't wait for a masterpiece or for a brilliant riff or idea. Try to compose songs that you don't like, and after some of them you will compose one that you like by accident. biggrin.gif

Don't give up an idea before you develop it. Sometimes the original idea can bring other ones that wouldn't appear if you wouldn't have recorded the first one. (this is exactly what SirJamsalot explained, it definitely works for me too)

Finish the songs, no matter if you don't like them too much. Composition is a skill that needs practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2014, 01:20 AM
Instructor
Well guys! We already have 3 musical ideas for this photo! Is there any other GMCer interested on submiting and idea?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 3 2014, 01:37 AM
I think we should just do another pic. It seems no one else wants to participate on this one.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 3 2014, 06:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2014, 03:36 PM) *
I would like that any student that provided a musical idea for this workout tells you how he got it. smile.gif

im by no means good at this right now, but im trying and would also like input on composing, right now im working on theory and im trying to compose with what ive learned. what im working on right now, ive started with a 1-4-5 with the 6th thrown in, chord progression coming up with a main melody and main progression. im adding a little theory to it, its in Emajor. i try to come up with 3 maybe 4 sections of the tune all staying in Emaj. To make it not sound so repetitive while still using the same progression i keep the same rythym and groove to the tune but on the different sections say im on the fisrt part of the song for 2 measure, and im playing the typical major 1-4-5 with minor 6th, on the 3rd measure im using the same progression but changing the chords, i been learning how to subsitute being that chords are made up from scales using 1-3-5, im learning to replace notes adding the 2nd or the 7th and learing my intervals have seemed to help me to come up with some ideas and not sound like im playing the same thing over and over, then when i got a few sections i throw it together. having drums and bass in my daw really help to smile.gif theory gets really confusing and it seems like alot to remeber but with practice learning it will help me know what i am playing and why wich will help me be able to compose better sounding songs
a quik clip of how i am trying to understand how to alter chords https://soundcloud.com/rockmusic-915/theory-workout

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 3 2014, 09:39 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2014, 02:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Dcz. That's a very useful exercise and I recommend you to do it deeply, slowly and enjoy it. The knowledge that you will get from this process will stay with you forever. There is nothing better than recording and comparing when you want to hear how the different chords work there. You can try replacing chords that has the same function, trying other chords from the tonality and also using a concept called modal interchange that says that you can take chords from a parallel tonality, for example if you are in E major, you can take a chord from E minor, E dorian or any other mode and get very interesting results.

Your musical idea has very good guitar arrangements and that makes more interesting the classic 1 - 4 - 5 progression, and the addition of the 6 minor gives it more air.

Keep on experimenting and sharing your results here! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 5 2014, 12:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Any plans on a new picture? I know I haven't added anything so far, but I've been close! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2014, 06:23 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! For this new workout I decided to use a photo that is very special for me. There you can see my brother and me just after the first gig with Metallica. We stayed like that for some minutes, with tears in our eyes... I would really like to hear what music inspires you this moment... smile.gif

"In this new series of forum threads we will dedicate some time to activate our spiritual side. So let's forget about reason for a while, and search deep within for creativity.

This might sound weird to you, but I guarantee once you have got a hang of it, that it will open up new possibilities.

The first experiment consists in visualizing an image that I will share. Using your deeper perception - you should musicalize it with a note, a chord, a noise, a melody, an unfinished idea, a song or whatever you can create. The creation (music) must be original, recorded by yourself and shared here.

Each of us has a different perception of reality and it will be interesting to see different GMC:ers create different musical ideas for the same image. We will then analyze the results."

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 5 2014, 07:21 PM
Lots of emotions on this pic. This is great.

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 6 2014, 01:04 AM
Ok guys here is my take.

https://soundcloud.com/rickynine/glad-you-are-here-mp3

This photo has so strong emotions, The one that caught my eye is "Relief". Let me tell you there is nothing better in this world than to receive a hug at the right moment.

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Apr 6 2014, 12:25 PM
GMC:er
Hi Gab!

This must be very special moment and pic for you!
I'll try to create something special for this one! wink.gif

Good job Ricky!

My version is ready no later than next Sunday! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Ezmix 2 + many metal packs
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2014, 05:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Apr 5 2014, 09:04 PM) *
Ok guys here is my take.

https://soundcloud.com/rickynine/glad-you-are-here-mp3

This photo has so strong emotions, The one that caught my eye is "Relief". Let me tell you there is nothing better in this world than to receive a hug at the right moment.

Wou!! Now I can see my life like a movie! This is beautiful mate. Your tune made me see my brother and me as two strangers feeling the relief that your song reflects. You song is very special, there is something in the structure or arrangements that makes me think on it as music for a film. I think that this workouts are definitely expanding your composing skills.

Thanks a lot for this composition. This is obviously a very special photo for me, I will share these compositions with my brother and the other band-mates. smile.gif

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Apr 6 2014, 08:25 AM) *
Hi Gab!

Good job Ricky!

Sounds great!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 6 2014, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 6 2014, 12:57 PM) *
Wou!! Now I can see my life like a movie! This is beautiful mate. Your tune made me see my brother and me as two strangers feeling the relief that your song reflects. You song is very special, there is something in the structure or arrangements that makes me think on it as music for a film. I think that this workouts are definitely expanding your composing skills.

Thanks a lot for this composition. This is obviously a very special photo for me, I will share these compositions with my brother and the other band-mates. smile.gif

Sounds great!! smile.gif

Thank you brother!!!!, for sharing such a wonderful and powerful photo, That i know is very personal for you. Also for trusting us enough to share this beautiful moment. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Apr 6 2014, 07:25 AM) *
Hi Gab!

Good job Ricky!

Thanks for you kind words brother!!!!, Hurry up and post your take, can't wait to hear it.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:51 PM