How Good Are Your Ears?, perfect pitch?
How good are your ears
Check all that apply
I have relative pitch: being able to correctly identify the melodic interval between two notes [ 18 ] ** [31.03%]
I can immediately spit back a short lick without seeing how its played [ 7 ] ** [12.07%]
I can listen to a solo and re-create it through trial and error (or maybe perfect the first time :o ) [ 14 ] ** [24.14%]
I can hear a triad and identify the correct inversion [ 5 ] ** [8.62%]
I have perfect pitch, I can identify exactly what note/ triad [ 1 ] ** [1.72%]
I can listen to a song/melody/tune and determine what chords are being played the way the solo is being played. [ 4 ] ** [6.90%]
I can listen to a song and immediately identify the age and blood type of the person that wrote it. :o (No one should be picking this one :lol: ) [ 9 ] ** [15.52%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
Ctodd
Mar 31 2008, 12:34 AM
GMC:er
How good are your ears?

Personally I have only been around music and music theory for about 8 months now.

And i really need to think about it but i believe i have developed a good sense of relative pitch

I was just curious how long it takes to develop these skills

and is perfect pitch something devoloped? or are you just born with it. ( I have heard both)

in your post please include how long you have been studying music/playing guitar.
and Discuss!

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 31 2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor
Well it's all very relative really. I can play and sing E note with my voice and go from there. SO I guess it's a relative pitch for now. About recreating solos, it depends how fast the solo is being played.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Mar 31 2008, 01:43 AM
I know the age, bloodtype, and favorite food of the musician!

Nah, my ears need training...

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 31 2008, 01:49 AM
Where is the "I hardly learn songs by ear, but I can play whatever is tabbed tongue.gif " option?

hehe

This post has been edited by Gus: Mar 31 2008, 01:49 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 31 2008, 02:02 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Ok, ok, I know I shouldn't have chosen last option but I couldn't help it! wink.gif

I guess I'm the trial & error kind: my ears are not that good!, but I usually know after a few tries if I'm hitting the right chords, or right notes in a simple (slow) solo.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 31 2008, 02:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
Wow, the last one is tied for 2nd, either GMC must be full of great eared musicians! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Or a bunch of liars .. dry.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 31 2008, 04:53 AM
My ear pitch recognition is pretty weak, I can identify 5ths, octaves, 7ths ect. but thats about it.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 31 2008, 05:13 AM
Singing Instructor
I have relative pitch...
but I have the ability to say with out looking if it is a male or female singer biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 31 2008, 06:03 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I chose the second option, I coud get better smile.gif

And I agree with Nemanja about the sex of the singer laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 31 2008, 02:54 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Eh... Nemanja really? Look at Tokio hotel.. and tell me.. biggrin.gif

Trial and error for me:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 31 2008, 03:17 PM
I can improvise over a chord sequence without knowing the chords and I can tab out songs quite straight forward but I still have a lot to learn.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 31 2008, 05:14 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 31 2008, 03:54 PM) *

Thats obviously a girl tongue.gif

My ears are pretty trained since in Blind Guardian we don't write down music, we only record it and whenever we have to "look something up" (like before every tour) we don't read our songs, we just hear them.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 31 2008, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 31 2008, 05:14 PM) *
Thats obviously a girl tongue.gif

My ears are pretty trained since in Blind Guardian we don't write down music, we only record it and whenever we have to "look something up" (like before every tour) we don't read our songs, we just hear them.

You make all your songs in the studio? Doesn't that cost quite a bit?

I have no ear training at all nor do i know how to do it. If someone played me a note i would have no idea what it was

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 31 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
I can identify the intervals with 70-90 (depending of the day laugh.gif) because I've been practicing with some software to help my ear training. So with this skill I can know what note is played but spending lot of time and with a probability of a 50% to be 1 tone up or down... that's because I usually speak with a B note and i can know the interval between my own voice and the note played. biggrin.gif

Well I wish in few years I will be able to identify all notes fastly, but that's not too much important for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 1 2008, 08:17 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 31 2008, 03:54 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

he he....you got me there....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 1 2008, 01:51 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (steve25 @ Mar 31 2008, 09:25 PM) *
You make all your songs in the studio? Doesn't that cost quite a bit?

Not really, we all have our little studios at home, based on Pro Tools or Logic, so when we write songs, we use those setups, and when it comes to recording our albums, we also have our own "big" studio for this, so whenever we want to record something, there is for sure a way.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 1 2008, 02:21 PM
Instructor
hey Juan did you made all that progress with that GNU SOlfege that you recommended a while ago?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Apr 1 2008, 02:36 PM
Instructor
yes, I'm doing this progress with the Solfege biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
seagull
Apr 1 2008, 09:15 PM
Number 1 and 3 for me.

I sometimes surprise myself though, as I find my hearing skills sometimes better than other times, meaning that sometimes I can figure out the chords and the scale by hearing the song 1 time. Other days I might have to hear it a couple of times, of course it also depends on the difficulty of the chords, if there are a lot of extended chords it usually takes some time. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 1 2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor
Must try solfege mysesf, it is a good one and I see it brings good to you to wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:37 PM