Question Regarding *progressive Rock/metal*
Vulpine
Apr 23 2013, 07:06 AM
GMC:er
Hiya GMC = ) I was curious what progressive rock and progressive metal ment, the reason I asked is because i am tryng to find the genre that I currently play but I also am interested in knowing what made a song progressive... (any song examples might help)

and I guess my 2nd question was I like to play in the styles of ambient,jazz,hard rock, and some metal influences but im not really sure if u were to label all of that into into a Genre what it would be called so I was curious about that as well ...I get ppl who ask me What kind of music do I play all I can say is Instrumental Rock and even tho im not an expert in any of the styles that I like to play I do feel I borrow influences from a variety of styles but maybe thats what everyone does but

anyway one of my guitar teachers said I had a "Fusion Thing going on abit" lol but i dunno

anyway would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on these questions would help my knowledge alot = )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Apr 23 2013, 07:12 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Darius Wave
Apr 23 2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor
It's always a hard task to describe the style of what You play. It's usually better to let others do this. You might not be objective enought. I have a feeling that this was easier years ago...now we have soooo many genres. I don't know if this helps but progressive rock i something like Dream Theatre, Rush or Porcupine Tree. But if You use more heavy, scooped tone You can call it progressive metal ha! )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Progressive music in my opinion, is something that breaks the boundaries of a certain genre, combining elements brought in from other styles/music genres.

The notion appeared in a time where music was not as mixed and combined as it is today, so anything that broke the boundaries imposed by the purity of a certain style, was labeled as progressive.

One can say that today's music has more of a progressive feel, regardless of the actual basic genre, simply because this is how music evolved: everything nowadays has influences from other styles, because this is how things are evolving, You will seldom find bands appearing today, that play a style in the purist form that it had let's say 30 years ago.

Don't bother too much in placing things in boxes smile.gif Music is universal and it is a language that must be learned and shaped in such a way that it will transmit your message, even if it will sound like you are mixing Arab with Chinese and French smile.gif I hope I was able to portrait things in a clear manner..

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 23 2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, good point Cosmin, i totally agree with you on this one! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 23 2013, 01:23 PM
I always thought of progressive music as that which lays just outside of the general pop versions of each genre. i.e. these songs may differ from the usual formats of the genre incorporating things like different time signatures...longer songs...more experimental and complicated music (not relying on the verse chorus verse chorus usual pop set up)..

I'm sure some of the experts will probably correct me... laugh.gif ...so I will re iterate...this is how I have always thought of 'prog' music...but I have probably missed the point somewhere...so don't take this as Gospel!! (or Progressive Gospel come to that!) laugh.gif

Like Cosmin says....don't try and box/catergorize music or Art and you may not fall into a box yourself! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Apr 23 2013, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 23 2013, 01:41 PM
Instructor
According to the meaning of word "progressive we should consider some bands not being progressive anymore...cause they progressive ideas gave the beginning for the things that are a base for modern playing. Now modern playing is up to evolution and some new concepts should be considered as a progressive ha ha smile.gif Just a funny thought smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 01:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 23 2013, 12:23 PM) *
(or Progressive Gospel come to that!) laugh.gif

I just imagined Petrucci dressed as a nun...

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 23 2013, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 02:52 PM) *
I just imagined Petrucci dressed as a nun...

OMG...now that is what we call progressive thought! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2013, 02:15 PM
Instructor
I think that progressive bands are those that has long songs, and songs with different meter and tempo changes. This makes songs much more experimental than other styles like classic rock, heavy metal, alternative metal. I have heard many of your compositions and I would say that you play Instrumental/Experimental Rock with influences from Progressive, Alternative and Electronic.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Apr 23 2013, 06:31 PM
experimental Rock *Igor holding an axe* = D I think I get that experimental part... playing your own style with maybe influences of other genres but not so much restricted to its rules I guess

These post I think has helped me grasp the meaning of Progressive abit

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2013, 11:52 PM
A fine question with some fine responses to be sure smile.gif In a nutshell, "Progressive" is a descriptor often used with Rock and or Metal to end up with a Sub Genre that adds elements. In specific, the progressive elements often but not always, include, classical or pseudo classical passages or phrases, a high level of technicality (eg. it's difficult to play), incorporation of elements from other genres such as Jazz, World Music, Classical Music, etc. and by the addition, sometimes, of broad thematic elements that run through an album/cd or series of albums/cds. (Eg. making a collection of songs about a given character, story, movie, etc.).

Definitions vary but hopefully that gives a decent idea smile.gif Dream Theatre are the poster children of "Progressive Rock, and depending who you talk to, Metal". This gets in to a gray area in that some folks don't consider Dream Theatre to be "Metal", while others do consider it "Metal". As for what is and isn't Metal, thats beyond my ability understand or articulate. It varies based alot on who is asking / answering.

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:39 PM