Trying Not To Get Discouraged
Netman
Dec 5 2006, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
Hi Kris,

I've been working on several licks that you have posted on your website.

Two things I want to improve on and I need your help.

First, does the speed come naturally the more you practise, cause it seems like I can't get passed a certain threshold and it is not near as fast as you play the lick. mad.gif

Also, I notice that when I do bends and pull offs, my fingers cause the surrounding strings to make noise as I do so. (Usually with the distortion on) sad.gif

Any tips on the above to get me through this?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wherever You Go, There You Are!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 5 2006, 10:32 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Netman @ Dec 5 2006, 09:58 PM) *
First, does the speed come naturally the more you practise, cause it seems like I can't get passed a certain threshold and it is not near as fast as you play the lick. mad.gif

Yes speed comes naturally the more you practice - it's just a matter of not giving up before it does. Is there anybody who has got pass this stage and who can say a few encouraging words?

Also, I notice that when I do bends and pull offs, my fingers cause the surrounding strings to make noise as I do so. (Usually with the distortion on) sad.gif

Experiment with your left hand angle. Also use your index finger to mute strings "behind" the bedning finer (you should see me do that in the videos once in a while).

Hope it helps - and remember: becoming a great guitarist isn't difficult - it's just very time consuming and patience-testing smile.gif

Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Screech1989
Dec 6 2006, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (Netman @ Dec 5 2006, 06:58 PM) *
Hi Kris,

I've been working on several licks that you have posted on your website.

Two things I want to improve on and I need your help.

Any tips on the above to get me through this?

Thanks

What I like to do, is think about how much I've progressed by practicing the amount that I have. I'm gonna be honest, my first way of fretting the fretboard was with my left thumb, that's all I used. I would just use my thumb on the low E string and strum with my right thumb. I would just see what sounds I could make This was all on my dad's old classical that he used in college. Now, 6 months or so out, I can use all four of my PROPER fingers with a semi-decent speed, and can't wait for the next 6 months. wink.gif

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Dec 6 2006, 10:38 AM
I can tell you from my own experiences that things do improve with time.

One of my prime motivators for playing the guitar were the Pink Floyd solos from Comfortably numb and Another Brick.
I tried to learn them far too early....but its easy to say that in hindsight !!

I have had several attempts over the last couple of years to play those solo's and boy were they hard !!

If something is proving just a little difficult now - put it down a while - and go back to it in a few months and try again - you will be surprised at how by playing other stuff your techniques will have improved and how much easier stuff becomes to play - you may take several attempts over a year or 2 to finally crack some things but I promise if you keep playing and learning new stuff, that one time when you go back to someting, suddenly it will seem so much easier and you will wonder how you had difficulties.

In my case, I really could not play ABITW solo for so long - then earlier this year, I spent a couple of days trying again and suddenly not only can I play it - I can play it at tempo along with the original track, and it was not so hard to learn this time - finally I had learned the techniques needed. That is the important bit - its the techniques that you need to learn - and learn well. Once you have all that stuff in your kitbag then songs are easy!. Unfortunately there is no easy or quick way to learn them other than putting in the time practicing. Whilst its good to challenge yourself by learning hard stuff - you also need to learn and keep playing the easy stuff until its second nature - its not just the songs your learning, its the techniques and thats really important.

After best part of 3 years playing, I can now learn to play pretty much anything in a couple of days if I put in the practice - 18 months ago - I could have tried for 2 weeks and not got it !!!. Ok so there are some things out of my range still - shredding and sweep picking for one - but up to now I have no interest in that kind of play. Fast play just leaves me cold so until I get "inspired" I know I will never be that kind of player but thats fine...I now know after all this time that MY style is starting to develop - the way I improvise and strum are all starting to be unique to ME and yet enjoyable (I hope) to others. I think this is all possible because by learning how others play and learning the differences in styles of play helps you to realise that there is no "right" way - but if you play even a very famous "solo" or "riff" your way, it still sounds great and perfectly recognisable.

My advise is forget the bit your having difficulty with for a while, once your no longer improving, the frustration becomes a negative on your learning. - learn something else - then in 2 months go back - I promise you will be much better at the stuff you found hard.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Netman
Dec 7 2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I guess I'll keep plucking away (no pun intended).

I think I'll try some other stuff for a while as suggested by Fretdancer (thanks) and I will let you know how that goes.

--------------------
Wherever You Go, There You Are!

+Quote Post
aenemated
Dec 14 2006, 01:14 PM
i realized something along these lines tonight. i'm to the point i might KNOW a song or a solo; but my fingers didn't always do what i was trying to tell them to.

for instance, the faster part of the sweet child solo. i know the notes, i know where i'm supposed to go; but it just wasn't happening. timing wasn't so great, it wasn't real clean, etc.

so i put that down for a while and didn't even bother with it for probably like a month now. maybe even more.

in the interim, i played other (probably easier) stuff, started doing a bunch of finger control exercises - just focused on other stuff. the control exercises actually got really fun because it was totally a challenge. it SOUNDED so easy to do - despite that not entirely being the case - so i was determined to get them nailed. like; if it sounds so easy and some other dude can do it, there's no reason i can't.

anyway, long story short ... was noodling around tonight and for some reason started into the SCoM solo. and nailed it damn near perfect. hadn't even tried to play it in forever yet ... somehow, it all just came through.

so i guess the moral is ... discouragement happens to everyone. and no one thinks they're "good enough." i read a really awesome interview with slash not long ago; and he totally came off as such a humble guy. and i try to keep that in mind. i'm a huge slash fan and if even he comes across as "well, i do what i do but i really think i can get better," then it's silly for me to not adopt that attitude.

try other things - different songs, different styles, exercises, whatever ... step back from what you're working on so hard at the moment and try something else then come back to whatever's giving you problems now at a later time. you might surprise yourself. and that's been all the motivation i've needed to keep moving forward.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:31 AM