> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >  
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 11 2015, 01:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Nov 10 2015, 02:27 PM) *
hey gab, this looks like a cool software that I think will help me out! I downloaded the trial but I don't think I can open a file for example the skate punk guitar pro file? I guess this must be a trial restriction or maybe I am not opening from the right place. I just get a list of examples to open and I can't import a .gp5 either.

Hi mate, that's weird. You should be able to open the files.

Check out this free software which is the same than guitar pro and also opens gp files. It's called Tuxguitar.

http://tuxguitar.uptodown.com/descargar

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 11 2015, 06:50 PM
GMC:er

Thanks for the link to the other software, i downloaded it and it worked to open the lesson! I read now that you can't open external files with the trial version of guitar pro. Would you say there is much difference between tuxguitar and guitar pro? Does guitar pro have any major advantages?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2015, 01:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Nov 11 2015, 02:50 PM) *
Thanks for the link to the other software, i downloaded it and it worked to open the lesson! I read now that you can't open external files with the trial version of guitar pro. Would you say there is much difference between tuxguitar and guitar pro? Does guitar pro have any major advantages?

Great! Honestly I don't know it the differences because I've used guitar pro for more than 5 years. But the basic, and most important stuff will be in both so if you are comfortable with Tux guitar, keep on it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 16 2015, 05:43 PM
Yeah Tux guitar is working out well for me, its maybe not as user friendly as guitar pro but it has all I need for the moment. I am still working on my guitar plan,

I don't think i am ready for new takes yet I will push that until next week. I started to learn your royal blood lesson, I couldn't wait! I have a question regarding the fuzz tone from waves that you used. This isn't free is it? Do you know of a good cheap/free alternative fuzz emulator to use with cubase that would suit this lesson?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 16 2015, 06:32 PM
Instructor
no, it isn't free. Fuzz is not a complex effect so there must be many good free plug ins for this.

I recommend you to try some free stuff, I used google and I got this:

http://atoragon.blogspot.com.ar/2013/05/fu...ins-inside.html

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/04/03...ugin-by-damyfx/

Let me know if it works good! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 26 2015, 06:34 PM
Hey gab, sorry long time no reply. My internet was down for a while plus my time and motivation. But it's sorted out now and I am ready to get going again. Thanks for the links to the fuzz pedals I haven't tested them yet as I am still learning the lesson clean with tuxguitar(this software is really good for learning). The lesson is a lot harder than I first thought though, with the tricky timing! Do you have the slower backing tracks for this lesson that you could send me?

I may have time to make some takes tomorrow, but if not I will try really hard to next week so you can check my progress!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2015, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, thanks for the update.

Here you have the slower backings for Royal Blood lesson: Attached File  backings_Royal_slow.zip ( 9.94MB ) Number of downloads: 55

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 28 2015, 09:33 AM
Hey Gab, thanks for the royal blood backings. I managed to make a couple of takes yesterday. Still not quite there but I think there is some improvement!

Sum 41 160 bmp

Bad Religion

Skate Punk 170bmp

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 28 2015, 06:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Thanks for the new videos!

I notice that your playing is really improving, but there is off course more work to do. The parts start to sound tighter but there are sill tricky sections that need special attention, mostly the single string riffs and solos. These parts are the ones that you should isolate and start polishing focusing on your hands movements in order to make everything efficient. That's the main problem that I note in your playing, you tend to do extra moment or movements that aren't small enough to make the riffs sound at tempo or smooth. This should be the next goal.

Other than that, this still shows important improvements so keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 30 2015, 08:48 PM
Hey there gab, thanks for the feedback on my takes. I have compared your playing on there lessons and my own takes and I think i can see what your getting out with the extra movements and large movements. Are you mainly referring to the right hand or the left hand?
I think I notice these parts that need improvement and need to be isolated,

Sum 41 - First riff and the fourth and fifth palm muted parts.

Skate punk - Definitely the first riff here which is not so smooth. I think its probably my alternative picking technique is a bit of a weak point of my playing. Plus i think my left hand also does some big movements on this first riff.

Bad religion - This first riff I guess and the solo.

How do you suggest I improve this or how should I focus on this issue in my playing exactly? Is this something that will come with practice or are there any other exercises I could do to improve this area?

I have been focusing on my right hand these last weeks, where I have adjusted how I hold the pick and I have also been trying to move more from wrist and not just pick from my fingers. I think this adjustment also makes me do these extra movements, maybe because I am not quite used this adjustment yet.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2015, 01:45 PM
Instructor
It's a matter of time and practice. At first you will find some adjustments in your technique uncomfortable but then they become natural. You need to focus on one thing at a time. For example, take the first riff of Sum 41 lesson. Compare your right hand movement with mine, notice if you are doing any extra movement, if not, you can check the other hand, if you notice extra movement you should dedicate some time to adjust this. The same for each part that needs practice.

Write your analysis, write down the things that you need to remember every time you play each riff to be sure that you keep on using the right technique the following days, until it becomes natural.

Don't practice the whole lessons (you can play it once or twice every day) during this week, isolate the problematic areas.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Dec 5 2015, 10:44 AM
Ok gab thanks for the explanation. I understand now what you mean, I am glad i am not doing anything majorly wrong but that I just need to practice more focused on these parts. I will take a look and compare videos and then work on just the individual riffs next week. Thanks for the help!

Ok gab, I just looked at the first riff of the sum 41 lesson after writing this and just wanted to ask if I am on the right track with my analysis.

Sum 41 - Riff 1
Right hand- One problem is i am trying to pick from the wrist and this causes my to do larger movements than necessary. These movements are also not smooth because i rest my pinky finger on the 6th string which doesn't allow full control of the movement of my right hand in and up down motion.
So i need to still pick from the wrist but lift my pinky finger off so I can smoothly pick up and down from the wrist. Ok this is hard to explain but I think i already after 5mins practice identified these problems.

Left hand- Here the main issue i think is that my fourth finger is always so far from the fretboard when not being used.

Bad Religion Riff 1
Right hand- very similar to the sum 41 lesson with the movements too large and the resting pinky finger issue.
Left hand - here my fourth finger really goes wandering and flies of the fretboard. It's really hard to force my fourth finger to stay close to the fretboard!

This post has been edited by philm: Dec 5 2015, 11:34 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 5 2015, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Awesome analysis Philm!! This is exactly what you need to do now. Please practice trying to get used to the fixes and share a new video in around 1 week.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Dec 6 2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks gab, glad to know I am on the right track with this. It takes a lot of concentration and time to break down these riffs like that, so I can't break down each lesson completely because of time so I have made this plan. After two practice sessions I already notice some differences though!

1.Sum 41 - Riff 1, 5mins right hand and 5 mins left hand focus(10mins) All(2X)
2.Bad Religion - Riff 1(5mins) Solo(5mins) All(2x)
3.Skate Punk - Riff 1 (5mins right hand and 5 mins left hand focus(10mins) All(2x)
4.Rise Against - All(2x)
5.Lagwagon - All(1x)
6.ADTR - All(2x)
7.BMTH - All(2x)
8. Royal Blood - Lesson learning(10-20mins)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2015, 09:34 PM
Instructor
Great mate! Keep on the good job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Dec 17 2015, 06:36 PM
Hey Gab, an update from me. I have been working the last week and an half on reducing the hand movements in the left and right hand on the sum 41, bad religion and skate punk lessons. Below are some new takes to check out! Cheers

Sum 41 160bmp

Bad Religion

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2015, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Good first step! I note that you are making smaller movements now. The next goal is to feel more comfortable with this movements until it becomes natural and everything sound with more groove and more connected with the backings rhythm.

Please keep on working always rechecking your movements and trying to make everything become more and more natural.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Dec 22 2015, 10:56 AM
Hey gab, thanks for your feedback. Its hard to focus on everything all at once, timing, groove, making small movements but I will keep working on making these small movements because its a bit of an adjustment. I am away for a while, but I will get back playing and practing hard next year!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 22 2015, 03:53 PM
Instructor
Yes, it is not easy to focus on everything at a tempo that you are not used to. That's why you need to practice in smaller blocks and at a tempo in which you can think on each element. That's the secret.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 7 2016, 06:35 PM
Hey Gab,
Happy new year! I'm back and ready to get going again. First off thanks or all your help last year, I really felt like I have made progress. Progress i wouldn't have made struggling on my own like I used to. So thanks for all the feedback, pointers and critic this last year and I look forward to getting started again.

I started yesterday back on the same routine i was on. I have learned all of the Royal Blood lesson at a very slow tempo and I will practice it for a further couple of days and then I shall do a take for you to check.

I couldn't resist also starting on your spectacular "20 Punk Bands in One Song". I think this lesson would be good for me, I have learned a few of your punk lessons but I think this is the master test of 2016 is for me to learn this lesson.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:40 AM