Learning Songs By Ear
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 15 2011, 06:29 PM
Instructor
What's your approach on learning a song by ear? Tyler's take on Marco Sfogli's song inspired me to wrote this post (congratz again Tyler!) as i am interested on how you guys approach this matter.

My way is usually the following:

1) Listen to the song at least 20 times in my headphones so I can hear as much as possible out of it
2) Find the harmony parts and the rhythmic phrasing for each instrument I need to understand
3) Find the lead parts (I usually learn to sing them first)
4) Learn the articulation elements used in the song
5) If it's technically challenging, put it in the 'Amazing Slowdowner' and start practicing it at a tempo where I can feel really relaxed with it.
6) I raise the tempo 5 units each time, until I can play it at the original tempo respecting all the articulation elements and staying groovie
7) If I have to perform it, I try to find the song parts where I can move and see what kind of moves go with the groove.
8) Exercise the moves while playing at a slow tempo until I feel comfy doing it
9) Getting used to the idea that I'm going to make mistakes on stage but I'll have an awesome time regardless of that, and I am going to transmit my message tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:38 AM