Scream On Guitar, how do i make my guitar scream?
bassman
Mar 26 2007, 04:40 AM
GMC:er
hey gmcers, im havin trouble screaming my guitar, all i know is that it has something to do with my thumb on my pick hand mellow.gif help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 26 2007, 09:08 AM
Welcome! What you're talking about is pinch harmonics, or artificial harmonics.

Kris explains it in this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/speed-licks/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
bassman
Mar 27 2007, 01:44 AM
but i still dont get wether im supposed to push down the string or play a normal harmonic, also, i noticed his pick is much pointier than mine, does that matter?

This post has been edited by bassman: Mar 27 2007, 01:55 AM

+Quote Post
RodneyU
Mar 27 2007, 05:27 AM
QUOTE (bassman @ Mar 26 2007, 08:44 PM) *
but i still dont get wether im supposed to push down the string or play a normal harmonic, also, i noticed his pick is much pointier than mine, does that matter?

Yes, press down the note as you are playing a normal note, NOT like a normal harmonic.

Hold the pick with your thumb as close to the edge as you can. It is vital that you still strike the string with your pick, and that your thumb contacts the same point along the string a millisecond afterwards. Make sure the angle of your pick strike means that you allow both your pick and thumb to contact the string in one single downstroke.

You're aiming to 'brush' the edge of your thumb on the string after you've picked - all in one motion.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 27 2007, 05:40 AM
Yeah, it's a normal fretted note, you induce the pinch harmonic with the thumb. Natural harmonics are created by the left hand.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
moorkop
Mar 27 2007, 07:24 AM
a pointier pick makese it a lot easier, but a blunt pick should also do the job

jsut make sure you got ..
distortion
humbucker
the right spot
no tone (on your guitar), this works better for me anyway
as little as possible of the pick touching the string

if you want to i maybe can post a movie about it if you're still unable to do it

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
bassman
Mar 28 2007, 05:38 AM
thanks guys that sounds like i can get it, ill borrow my friends distortion =]

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 28 2007, 10:31 AM
Lets go fishing!
Yeah im getting pretty good at pinch harmonics, Kris explaination is good!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:47 PM