Podxt, Anyone tried?
unmarshal
Apr 11 2007, 07:52 AM
GMC:er
Hi,

I was thinking about getting a PodXT and was wondering what all of your opinions were on that. I'm especially interested to know if you've used it in a recording situation, using cubase, protools, etc.

Thanks,
Marshall

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
blindwillie
Apr 11 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm interested in this too. Saving up for a POD XT right now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 11 2007, 02:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Apr 11 2007, 08:15 AM) *
I'm interested in this too. Saving up for a POD XT right now.

This is usually good flamebait, but I'll try to keep it objective smile.gif

I have a pod XT live. I use it for practicing and recording and have found it to be awesome for both. I record w/ cubase and it does a great job of both recording and playback. To get the most out of it for a studio situation you would need to hook it up to a good monitor system, not a guitar amp. For live it would soubd best through a clean keyboard amp or PA - the reason for this is that the pod takes care of creating the Amp sound as well as all the effects, so if you plat it through another amp that adds character such as a regular guitar amp, it will add too much character.

I use it with cubase and it is a fantastic combination for recording. and a great strength of the pod is its repetability - you don;t need to mic up an amp, mess around with 5 different effects to try and reproduce that killer sound you got last week - you just pull up the preset, and finish of the solo you were interupted playing and don;t have to worry about it sounding different.

I have found the amp simulations and effects on the pod to be excellent, and I am very happy with the sound I get, but others (Hi again MikeM - we must stop meeting like this!) prefer the real deal for live situations - I have no expericence so can't comment, but MikeM has tried both.

So in summary I would say, excellent for recorsding - for live, try it and see if you like the sound - I do and would have no hesitation using it for live playing as well, but on the other hand, one day I'm gonna get a honking great big tube amp and a bunch of effects to see what all the fuss is about smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 11 2007, 04:12 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 11 2007, 03:49 PM) *
MikeM has tried both.

I've not tried the PODxt in particular live, other stuff yes, PODxt no.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 12 2007, 10:29 AM
OK, thanks. That settles it. I will use it at home for practising (and in a distant future some recording when I feel confident enough) and to plug in my headphones. I have a Laney amp but as things are (two screaming guitars, often late at evenings makes wifes go nuts) I always end up with my headphones so the amp feels clumpsy and a bit overkill.

A follow up question: Doesn't the XT have a A.I.R-switch (whatever that is?) to switch off when you run the Pod through a regular amp? I understand what the problem is, but doesn't this switch "fix" that? I was hoping to run it through the amp now and then.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 12 2007, 01:14 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Apr 12 2007, 05:29 AM) *
OK, thanks. That settles it. I will use it at home for practising (and in a distant future some recording when I feel confident enough) and to plug in my headphones. I have a Laney amp but as things are (two screaming guitars, often late at evenings makes wifes go nuts) I always end up with my headphones so the amp feels clumpsy and a bit overkill.

A follow up question: Doesn't the XT have a A.I.R-switch (whatever that is?) to switch off when you run the Pod through a regular amp? I understand what the problem is, but doesn't this switch "fix" that? I was hoping to run it through the amp now and then.

Yes the pod had various equalisation options to fix the problem I mentioned, but the consensus on the line6 board and other places is that it doesn't work too well - your mileage may vary and it will probably be fine for the occasional gig or practice.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 12 2007, 03:20 PM
OK, thanks a lot. All my questions where answered. A bit disappointed that "pod-through-amp" isn't all that great, but I will get one. Apart from that quirk it's seems perfect (well, atleast very versitile) for my home-needs.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 12 2007, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Apr 12 2007, 10:20 AM) *
OK, thanks a lot. All my questions where answered. A bit disappointed that "pod-through-amp" isn't all that great, but I will get one. Apart from that quirk it's seems perfect (well, atleast very versitile) for my home-needs.

The thing to do if you want to perform live with the pod is get a clean amp like a PA setup of Keyboard combo - that should work fine, just don;t put it through a regular guitar amp as the sounds will be too coloured. Alternatively, you can keep the pod but turn off the AMP modelling if ytou want to play through a guitar Amp.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Leijon
Apr 12 2007, 04:44 PM
Satisfied Pod XT owner!

If you haven´t bought an amplifier, or if you feel the need to switch, there is an amp especially made for digital pre-amps, the Atomic Reactor. I haven´t had the chance to try it yet, it´s hard to find one in Sweden, but it has gotten rave reviews...

Personally, I no longer own an amp, but if I ever find the need to buy one, I will definately buy one that sounds great with my pod...

This post has been edited by Leijon: Apr 12 2007, 04:45 PM

--------------------
Leijon, Sweden
Guitars:
Taylor T5 Standard S1
Fender Classic Series '60s Custom Telecaster with Bigsby
Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Stuff:
Boss ME 80 multieffect
Zoom Player 2020 (yeah!)
sore fingers...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:45 AM