Interesting Article: State Of The "music Biz" Scary.
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2012, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
As the sand continues to move under the music biz, it's fun to note that, according to sound scan, 90% of sales from 2% (yes two percent) of releases.

And that Trent Reznor has gone BACK to a record lable after being all DIY for a bit.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/...21017fragmented

The good news is that the lack of money in the "biz" is almost forcing a kind of "Musical Purity" because there is simply no reason or hope of selling out unless you are just bieber/niki minage/etc.

The opportunity seems to lie in finding the untapped revenue stream created when listeners search/listen/watch music. Every action leaves a trail and that slug trail of user data has a dollar value. So IMHO mining that is a possible revenue positive future. But if I had all the details, I"d be rich smile.gif

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/121031scary

So how do we monetize the Slug Data Trail?

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Alex Feather
Nov 14 2012, 08:31 AM
Instructor
The thing is that being DIY is not bad at all but there is no way you can get the power of a major label without having one!
Tour, radio and tv support is very hard to achieve by yourself! Very nice article! Thank you very much for sharing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 14 2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Both articles are great, but I really appreciated Trent words about the reasons why he decided to get back to a major label... His words are very inspiring and I think that he is being very clever. It's something similar to what happens here in Argentina with Major Labels... their structure and experience make a difference.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2012, 02:51 AM
GMC:er
Well said smile.gif I'm still a big fan of DIY approach in general. Not to mention, artists don't always have the luxury of popping on a Major label. The power/reach of a Major label is still a thing of wonder. The money and machinery to be able to push out a release is something that takes enormous resources. I'm starting to see people mix both, starting a small label/LLC and licensing music/right/distribution to a label which is a great idea.

Todd

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 14 2012, 02:31 AM) *
The thing is that being DIY is not bad at all but there is no way you can get the power of a major label without having one!
Tour, radio and tv support is very hard to achieve by yourself! Very nice article! Thank you very much for sharing!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 14 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Both articles are great, but I really appreciated Trent words about the reasons why he decided to get back to a major label... His words are very inspiring and I think that he is being very clever. It's something similar to what happens here in Argentina with Major Labels... their structure and experience make a difference.

I have great respect for Trent. He's a ground breaking musician who helped pioneer DIY for big name acts. I'm thrilled to see hiim doing so well and expanding in to Feature Film Scores too!
Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:46 PM