2nd Shot At Power Chors
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 03:37 AM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smnY8rPcg_A let me know what you think. i am a beginner and would appreciate any input whether it be positive or negative i just want to improve.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 27 2009, 04:36 AM
Hi Glen.

Thanks for the video.

One thing you will want to work on, is palm muting.
If you watch your video back.
When you play the same chord for the first second and third time.
Each time, it sounds different.
You have some excess string noise that you dont want to be able to hear.
I think you know how it is supposed to sound, its recreating what you have heard thats the hard part.

My Advice.

Keep playing one of those power chords.
Focus on the right hand.
Notice how if you press your palm down more, you get that agressive sound, good for metal and what not.
And with less pressure from the palm, the notes can be heard more.
Try using different amounts of pressure with your right hand , and you will hear the difference.

If you hear strings ringing when your playing a chord that arent supposed to be ringing, identify what strings are ringing, and mute them with your right hand.

Hope I helped a bit, ask if you have questions

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 04:40 AM
thanks for the feedback i will look into it thanks.

+Quote Post
Drew604
Feb 27 2009, 05:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for sharing the vid......

I agree with E S & J. Palm muting is an important thing to learn and its good that you are tackling it early on. Not only does it give you that great percussive rhythm sound that you would associate with metal but it also gives you much more control of your playing.

Its just a suggestion but I would try to 'dumb-down' the way you are approaching it at present. By that I mean first try and find a comfortable sitting position so that you dont have to worry about balancing the guitar so much while practicing.. while the guitar is in your lap it isnt going to move much so you wont have to continually reposition your right hand thus giving you more control. (once you have it nailed sitting, it will come pretty naturally when you are standing). The other thing I would try is just holding down one power chord, then you can concentrate on using your right hand to produce different rhythm patterns and...... by applying different pressures on your palm muting together with accenting different beats you can make even one chord sound interesting. As always.... make sure you practice with a metronome or a solid drum loop.

I dont have my video working as good as I want yet but I will certainly record some mp3 of some ideas to practice if you think it would help.

Keep on Playin'

Drew

This post has been edited by Drew604: Feb 27 2009, 05:46 AM

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Feb 27 2009, 07:21 AM
some examples would be nice.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 27 2009, 12:56 PM
Jazz Instructor
Lift your right hand up, so you can rest it on the guitar body, also move your guitar to your right, you will pick easier, and have easier access to frets.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 27 2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor
I think you have some improvements and the advices that where given will help you.
The only thing I want to remark again is that you're out of tune. Be sure to tune your guitar right before you make a recording.

Keep the good work mate!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Feb 27 2009, 09:48 PM
Instructor
well, man... that was so cool. it´s so useful, if you can rec videos playing your stuff. that help us a lot in times of give you an advice or something.

the first I see is that your right hand is too far from the strings, try to find a better position something like your palm muting position.
also, pay attention on your fingers (Left hand) try to stay a little bit more relaxed.
anyway, for a beginner, it´s great. you´ll improve your skills very soon.
Keep up the great work!

Cya

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:46 AM