4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Blackstar Ht-5 (h), new 5 watt amp from Blackstar
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 10:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Blackstar who are a relatively new company is pushing out one interesting product after another. Their series of pedals seem to be great ones and also their handwired Artisan series of 15, 30 and 100 watt amps.

They are releaseing a contender in the 5 watt segment, and what a beauty she is! It should be in stores late November.
Attached Image

Funny thing is that it's called HT, same as the pedal series so it's supposedly carrying the craftsmanship of the pedals in it's preamp section.
Also comes in a 1x10 combo version and there's a mini stack too (head + 2 pcs of 1x12 cabinets)

- A studio and practice amp that has two channels, clean and dirty.
- Has speaker emulated output (1x12 or 4x12 voicing).
- An effects loop.
- Also has something called ISF and simply put one can say that's a texture knob, you've seen it on other amps. Elmwood has a texture knob on their Modena and I suppose it's what Peavey Valveking also comes with, sits in the back. It's like "turn it and go from a US kind of amp sound into UK territory). It's a UK design so I expect it to sound bristish in it's foundation.

In a small 5 watter all of this together is just WOW!!

It's poweramp has a 12BH7 dual triode tube that delivers 5 watt but the character is supposed to be like a cranked 100 watt amp. This was Blackstars idea about this amp to start with.

Preamp: 1xECC83 and Poweramp: 1x12BH7
10˝ Celestion speaker in the combo (and cabinet)

Priced adound twice of Blackheart to name a competitor
Head cost around €300
Combo around €360

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 10:30 AM
GMC:er
5W just isn't enough for me. I need to hear an amp roar biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 10:37 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 28 2008, 10:30 AM) *
5W just isn't enough for me. I need to hear an amp roar biggrin.gif

Maybe if you put your ear next to the cloth 5W is enough? laugh.gif

I became quite interested in this amp. I could use 5 watts for home and to record with and this baby seem to come packed. And especially is this one comes "roaring" like a 100 watt amp (like Blackstar states) already at low volumes.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 10:39 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 28 2008, 09:37 AM) *
Maybe if you put your ear next to the cloth 5W is enough? laugh.gif

I became quite interested in this amp. I could use 5 watts for home and to record with and this baby seem to come packed. And especially is this one comes "roaring" like a 100 watt amp (like Blackstar states) already at low volumes.

I can see my neighbours buying me one for Christmas biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 28 2008, 10:53 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks nice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 28 2008, 11:13 AM
Instructor
Cranking this amp at home won't do, because even 5W is very loud, at least for my idea of practice. I would still like to try it tho, it seems pretty nice smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 11:16 AM
I use a 15 W solid state amp at home with twin gains biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 28 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Cranking this amp at home won't do, because even 5W is very loud, at least for my idea of practice. I would still like to try it tho, it seems pretty nice smile.gif

Yes.
5W amps are getting more and more popular. I think the trend is moving towards 1/2 - 1 W amps but it's only rescently people seem to have discovered that you don't need 100W. And I belive the market wouldn't sell any 1/2 amps since people would just look passed them as too small since being used to their 100W.
I think 5W is a reasonable step for most people to take after all.
In a few years from now I belive we'll see more and more 1/2 watters as it will be more widely spread that 5 watts is actually loud for home use.
In studio the 5 is perfect, it's got the extra headroom and bottom a 1/2 would lack.

After all, it's the market that decides what amp we want to buy. And as always the market is slow but it's moving towards smaller amps and right now it's 5W, soon it will be 1W.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 28 2008, 01:36 PM
Mmmm interesting.
I hope you are right about the Watt-trend. I'd love to see a wider spectrum of 1/2 Watt-ers.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 01:38 PM
People will start plugging their guitars into lamps soon. Amps will be a thing of the past. No sound just a fancy light display biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 28 2008, 01:38 PM) *
People will start plugging their guitars into lamps soon. Amps will be a thing of the past. No sound just a fancy light display biggrin.gif

Lamps, the name itself is so revieling. But there it's difficult to find one below 25W. While a 1/2W lamp would be great for bedroom practice it can often come off as too dim.

They usually come as 40W and 60W which are suitable for home use. When you reach wattage up to 100, 200, 300W and above it's way too much for home use. They are more suitable for arenas.
If you install an attenuator (dimmer) that should be ok. You can then bring it all the way down to zero. One could think close to zero is perfect for recording but it isn't, it'll be too dark to find the recording buttons.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Oct 28 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Mmmm interesting.
I hope you are right about the Watt-trend. I'd love to see a wider spectrum of 1/2 Watt-ers.

It would be nice to have a selection. Sad thing though is that I don't think they will be a lot cheaper than a 5 watter. Only if players know what they want and are willing to pay for less watts, or pay for what they need, though they'd get 1000% more watts for almost the same price.

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Oct 28 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Mmmm interesting.

And how's your 5 watter treating you btw smile.gif

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 28 2008, 02:25 PM
doesnt look too bad,and 5 watts is still loud for home use.Will have to check up some samples of this head

The new Bognor korean made amp doesnt seem too bad too-the sound samples are pretty good for that with its built in reverb and delay.He must have seen a market for this type of head when he joined with Line 6 for their spider valve amps and worked out he could get a bigger slice of the pie doing it alone with his name on the amp:)There cheap too

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 28 2008, 02:47 PM
Instructor
1 W is a cool option for practice, and 60W for medium venues, 100W is great but that thing is too loud to crank, maybe somebody will crank it once or twice on gigs where there is no PA system to support the amp and that's it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 28 2008, 03:07 PM
Agree with you Ivan.I think myself and the other guitarist are pushing out 30/40 watts each and thats enough for the powertubes to colour the tone and not be too loud as to deafen us standing by the speakers!The PA can pump out it out further but I wouldnt want to be in front of that tongue.gif
I have played the blade on 10 briefly,but I was the other side of stage!Loud but not as loud as when the guitars went direct to PA some time ago when the band was AB'ng amps and preamps to see what sounded best-I had ear defenders on but the other lads didnt and we must have been pushing out 600 watts(300 each speaker pointing at us)and the drummer and other guitarist said never again in very colourfull language.lol.In fact he said every time he played a chord it hurt him

anyway 5 watts is surpisingly loud when it comes out a tube amp

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 28 2008, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 28 2008, 01:53 PM) *
It would be nice to have a selection. Sad thing though is that I don't think they will be a lot cheaper than a 5 watter. Only if players know what they want and are willing to pay for less watts, or pay for what they need, though they'd get 1000% more watts for almost the same price.

You might have a point there. People will probably rather get more Watts for the money than an amp with fewer watts even if it excels in the bedrom where they will be using it.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 28 2008, 01:53 PM) *
And how's your 5 watter treating you btw smile.gif

Oh, she is sooo warm and nice to me in my bedroom. She can be a bit loud now and then when we get too excited. If that happens it just takes seconds before my wife is there too. Screaming even louder, shutting my baby up. Killing my black heart.
The attenuator protects against this, but it's not the same thing, not quite the same feel to it.
I understand her. It wouldn't be so noisy if I could use my equipment right, but I'm a beginner and can't make sweet music yet. I practice a lot on my own and it's fun to make alot of noise smile.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 28 2008, 06:35 PM
looks nice but if you have to pay 300 € would it not be better to buy an orange tiny terror 15 watt amp that costs 499 € ??

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 29 2008, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (ChrisVdS @ Oct 28 2008, 06:35 PM) *
looks nice but if you have to pay 300 € would it not be better to buy an orange tiny terror 15 watt amp that costs 499 € ??

I don't really see why the Orange would be better? It's only feature is the switch between 7/15 watts and as far as I'm concerned that's pretty useless. And as far as being a classic amp, it's made in China and Korea so it's not British which would be worth something as far as coolness-factor.
I've had my eye on the Tiny Terror but I didn't like how it sounded, don' t know why but knowing myself I should. But no. And I've also hesitated on it being 15W, I've already have a 30W amp so it doesn't really fit my collection wink.gif

This Blackstar has these fatures that appeal to me.
Texture knob. Fun fun fun.
Cabinet simulator
It has a descent EQ which the Orange lacks.
Two channels
And last but not least, I'm so curious about the tube feature they say should have the character of a hard working 100 watt amp.

The Orange says 15W, the Blackstar says 5W. IMO 5W is more useful, 15W is a bit inbetween. Too little for gigging and way too much for practicing at home. And to be frank 5W is also too much but as far as I can see this is one of the best options for home and studio. Especially if it's walking in it's bigger brothers, Artisan model, foot steps.

And to make my point really clear. If this 5W Blackstar costs €300 and there was a 1W Blackstar for €300 I'd get the 1W model.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 29 2008, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 29 2008, 12:26 AM
Instructor
There were times when people did entire gigs with 5 watt amps wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 24 2008, 09:48 AM
It's been released now.

Let us know if you spot it, try it, buy it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 24 2008, 10:01 AM
So basically, for 360 euros you're all set and have an amazing little Tube amp that sounds great? Or would I have to buy the head with it too?

I've really done my homework on guitars, but amps mostly are still a mystery to me. I currently have a vox DA5 but I'm looking toward saving up for a tube.

How is this better than, say, a Blackheart or an epiphone valve thingamajing for home use?

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Nov 24 2008, 10:02 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:30 AM