Guests cannot vote 
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2008, 09:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 02:22 PM) *
XP all the way for me !! (9 out of 10 cats prefer it) laugh.gif

Yes, but what about fish?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 2 2008, 10:58 PM
Learning Tone Guru
on vista: I dont have anything to put Vista on high end PCs.. but they put it even on the low cost budgets - I see no reason to do that - It wont work properly, so why do they do it? Because nobody wants it.. If you have 2000$ worth PC (anyway.. who would buy a PC at this price? I would buy a Mac rather..) then use Vista.. but it will take you way too many system power... There really is no reason, if we not count the M$'s economy.., to install Vista on slow PC..

Or just throw windows to recycle bin and go for Ubuntu:)

2Fretdance - yea it is great, better looking than vista, if you play with it (I myself have a cube like desktop, with which i can rotate, liquid windows etc etc..) The only reason, why I use XP is Guitar pro, which runs badly in WINE:(

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 2 2008, 10:59 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 2 2008, 08:30 PM) *
Yes, but what about fish?

My fish use Oranda XP tongue.gif laugh.gif It is a very special operating system designed purley for fish in mind. It has an in built function useing Scales mellow.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2008, 11:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 04:59 PM) *
My fish use Oranda XP tongue.gif laugh.gif It is a very special operating system designed purley for fish in mind. It has an in built function useing Scales mellow.gif

I guess I asked for that dry.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 3 2008, 04:44 AM
GMC:er
Linux..... wink.gif .. although it does scare me

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 3 2008, 05:02 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 01:22 PM) *
XP all the way for me !! (9 out of 10 cats prefer it) laugh.gif

wise. operating systems are rather mature items. there is so little added that means a rat's ass. I mean, what more can you do with an operating system? Then again, some people see lot of value in the various rat asses that are served up to the consumer as necessities of life.

Evilsoft will keep wheeling them out, profits. In fact, to me they have just been making them harder to use, designed for the mentally challanged. I think most people are not that stupid, operating systems need not be designed for those of us who are the offspring of the village idiot and the TV weathergirl.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 3 2008, 07:15 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 3 2008, 10:59 AM) *
It has an in built function useing Scales mellow.gif

No offence but... AWFUL PUN! blink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2008, 09:52 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Jan 3 2008, 06:15 AM) *
No offence but... AWFUL PUN! blink.gif

Yes I know, it was especially for Andrew laugh.gif smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Jan 3 2008, 10:21 AM
operating systems are rather mature items. there is so little added that means a rat's ass

Right on! Funny how it all becomes SO DANG NECESSARY to computers in such a short time.....you HAVE to have it!

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2008, 10:26 AM
Lets go fishing!
Its all a money machine for sure. I have been led to belive by the industy I need a brand spanking new 64-bit CPU with all the hardware that comes with it too....... Only I dont !! smile.gif

I built my PC 3 years ago and as it stands today its alot faster than some of the rubbish you can buy down PC world smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tank
Jan 3 2008, 10:26 AM
GMC Veteran
I switched to mac last year, partly because of Vista. I'd been given the loan of a laptop with Vista on it, but when I tried to load any music drivers onto it, I was bombarded with questions and warnings. It was also poor on searches and file saves. I presume they've fixed these (I had an early copy), but it wasn't for me.

It was a bit of a headache moving (as I'm pretty handy with getting my hand under the hood of windows) and there are still some things about the mac that feel "left out in the cold". But when I start up a music project in Garage Band or Logic, there are no issues, no glitches. Just gets on with the job. I think I'd be screaming at the screen if I was using Vista. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jan 3 2008, 10:32 AM
I chose IT SUCKS because I have not tried vista... it doesn't let me vote if I leave that section blank. Not that it really matters its just a poll. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2008, 10:41 AM
Lets go fishing!
Long live the Amiga !!! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 3 2008, 02:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 3 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Long live the Amiga !!! tongue.gif

yeah, and commodore 64!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 3 2008, 07:50 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Sega Mega drive anyone?:-D Good ol' Sonic :-P

Btw. There is still no linux/ubuntu option in those OS question:-P

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jan 3 2008, 07:51 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2008, 08:20 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Jan 3 2008, 01:54 PM) *
yeah, and commodore 64!! laugh.gif

yes biggrin.gif

Jokeing aside, the Commodore Amiga age was when operating systems and hardware worked for YOU ! You didnt work for it. These systems went on for years with fantastic software always being squeezed out of its hardware. Even today people still use Amiga 1200 tower systems to good effect! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 3 2008, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 3 2008, 10:26 PM) *
I built my PC 3 years ago and as it stands today its alot faster than some of the rubbish you can buy down PC world smile.gif

You built it??? But how?

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 3 2008, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Jan 3 2008, 11:43 AM) *
You built it??? But how?

You buy all the right parts and slot them together mate, its a rather complicated jigsaw but its not much more than that, its not like Matt had to individually solder all the silicon parts on to his graphics card individually - no, that would take ages laugh.gif

Normally most of the trouble is trying to get parts that you know are compatible with each other and then getting them to work properly - in the building of more complicated systems theres generally a couple of daft mistakes one can make that means the whole thing falls on its head but in general PC's are very easy to make and maitain.

These days of course, sometimes Its cheaper to buy a brand name system for your money but some people dont find them just as reliable and like to make their own because then they know exactly what goes in them.

cool.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2008, 09:52 PM
Lets go fishing!
Owen got it in one smile.gif

I hand select each part so it is very high quality, make sure everything is compatible right down to the ram timeings and fit it together - this was my pcs usually last many years smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jan 3 2008, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Jan 3 2008, 08:43 PM) *
You built it??? But how?

Hey it's not difficult!
But you have to know what is compatible with what...
Basically you choose a motherboard with what you'd like to put on it and then buy the remaining parts (processor, RAM, hard disks, graphics card, sound card, power supply, fans, case etc.) and maybe recycle some from your old pc. But you must know what is compatible! So if you bought a PCI-express motherboard you need PCI-express audio card and video card and not PCI and AGP, plus you may need SATA hard disks and not IDE, DDR-2 RAM not DDR, special connectors on your power supply etc.You need to consider a lot of stuff biggrin.gif
Anyway I built my PC in 2001 and I haven't upgraded it since apart from RAM, and I could still play all the recent games, but now new pixel shaders are out and I need new hardware sad.gif damn DirectX10.

Back on topic: XP is way better than Vista. It is 20% faster at anything, uses less RAM, is more old and extremely more supported (everything will run on it now), and basically there isn't anything new in Vista, apart from cute 3D desktop which they did to sell video cards to people who don't videogame dry.gif (copied partly from Mac) and User Account Control which is copied from Linux biggrin.gif and it's so bad that it must be disabled immediately if you don't want to go mad!

By the way, if your computer is slow, maybe it isn't old: it's clogged! Check what starts up with the system, check the services (who needs NetBIOS helper service?? Disable!! wink.gif ) and pull down the number the tasks the computer has. If the computer's still slow and error-prone, consider reinstalling freshly biggrin.gif Probably worst defect of Windows... you need to reinstall every 6 months - 1 year if you don't want to lose your mind blink.gif

Plus Service pack 3 has come out for XP and takes away the performance hinderances that Service pack 2 introduced biggrin.gif 1 more for XP biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:46 AM