2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Minor Blues Collaboration, Join in - Post takes - Get comments! :)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2011, 09:12 AM
Instructor
hey guys, welcome to another collab of mine, this month we will be doing some slow minor blues. I've found an inspiration for this track from an old Eric Clapton's track, and it really sounds nice with some minor licks over it.

If you would like to practice your phrasing, dynamics, syncopation, tone, try this track, you won't regret it smile.gif

The backing is based on Em as the first chord, Am as the second chord, and Bm as the third chord, so the progression goes like this:

|Em|Em|Em|Em|
|Am|Am|Em|Em|
|Bm|Am|Em|Bm|

So a classic 12 bar blues with minor chords at 45bpm tempo! smile.gif

Let's see what we can do over this one. Deadline is 10th of August.

Here are scale recommendations that you can use over this one:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Poor_Man_Blues_Solo_Blues_backing_track_in_E.mp3 ( 1.71MB ) Number of downloads: 430

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 22 2011, 04:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Fantastic! I love it...I am In!

I am new to it, how does it work? tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
K1R
Jul 22 2011, 04:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm in! smile.gif
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 22 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Fantastic! I love it...I am In!

I am new to it, how does it work? tongue.gif

Hey, man! Just record your solo over the backing in Reaper, Sonar or another DAW and upload it here. You should upload two files:
1) only you,
2) you with the backing
Not sure if video is necesary here, so lets see what Ivan says. smile.gif

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 22 2011, 04:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (K1R @ Jul 22 2011, 03:37 PM) *
I'm in! smile.gif

Hey, man! Just record your solo over the backing in Reaper, Sonar or another DAW and upload it here. You should upload two files:
1) only you,
2) you with the backing
Not sure if video is necesary here, so lets see what Ivan says. smile.gif

Awesome mate...Just to get it clear, I record over the entire length of the backing track? I know, stoopid question blink.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
K1R
Jul 22 2011, 04:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 22 2011, 06:41 PM) *
Awesome mate...Just to get it clear, I record over the entire length of the backing track? I know, stoopid question blink.gif

The question is not supid smile.gif Yeah, over the entire length.

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 22 2011, 05:38 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Cool, I'm in!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Jul 22 2011, 06:06 PM
GMC:er
I like it Ivan, i will try to participate!

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 22 2011, 07:18 PM
Tone Seeker
I'm in tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2011, 07:47 PM
Instructor
Great guys, thanks for joining in! smile.gif I'll let this topic be the topic for posting takes, you are free to post audio or video (what you find more convenient)

I'll comment your playing after you post the takes! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
velci
Jul 22 2011, 07:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Great..
I'm in!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 24 2011, 12:30 PM
Instructor
Awesome! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 26 2011, 06:51 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's my take Ivan!
Actually two takes. I wanted to try one clean and one with high gain. I couldn't help myself to not step on the tube screamer footswitch during one part of the clean take though. smile.gif Use your favorite one or both for the collab. smile.gif

Clean (Fender Twin Model, GR3)
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues1_nobt.mp3 ( 1.51MB ) Number of downloads: 203
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues1_wbt.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 225

High Gain (Mesa Dual Rectifier Model. Pod HD500)
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues2_nobt.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 199
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues2_wbt.mp3 ( 2.09MB ) Number of downloads: 221

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Jul 26 2011, 02:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (JamesT @ Jul 26 2011, 01:51 AM) *
Here's my take Ivan!
Actually two takes. I wanted to try one clean and one with high gain. I couldn't help myself to not step on the tube screamer footswitch during one part of the clean take though. smile.gif Use your favorite one or both for the collab. smile.gif

Clean (Fender Twin Model, GR3)
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues1_nobt.mp3 ( 1.51MB ) Number of downloads: 203
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues1_wbt.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 225

High Gain (Mesa Dual Rectifier Model. Pod HD500)
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues2_nobt.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 199
Attached File  20110725_PoorMansBlues2_wbt.mp3 ( 2.09MB ) Number of downloads: 221

Those were really cool!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 26 2011, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot mate, nice of you to provide two takes. I'll include them both no problem, and try to comment on both soon! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 4 2011, 09:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
Don't look at my face! biggrin.gif

Attached File  Poor_Man_Blues_withbt.mp3 ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 206

Attached File  Poor_Man_Blues_withoutbt.mp3 ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 212

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
TylerT
Aug 8 2011, 05:27 PM
Guitar Hero

Hey ivan, cool backing track! There is my take, it was one of 3 improv takes I did and it turned out pretty well! The files are being uploaded to megaupload right now, so ill PM you the link in a couple minutes.

Thanks!

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Aug 10 2011, 04:41 AM
Here are my files...not very satifisfied with what I came up with, but I thought I should still post it anyways.

Attached File  Poor_Man_Blues_withBacking.mp3 ( 1.11MB ) Number of downloads: 200

Attached File  PoorManBlues_withoutBacking.mp3 ( 1.11MB ) Number of downloads: 195

Michael

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 14 2011, 09:13 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot guys, final mix tomorrow! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 15 2011, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, here are the comments for the collab! Your takes were really awesome, each having some good and some bad sides. What I can spot is improvement in all cases, and I liked the tone of each guitar sound. I think you all have unique style, and it's a pleasure to hear that variety. I hope my comments will be useful to you, and join up on the next collab as well if you like! smile.gif

James (both takes): Excellent bends and vibrated bends, they really sound cool. Great pentatonic scale usage too, and some great bending and tremolo licks in general. Nicely fitted with each other. There is one thing I must note, and that is the use of strong notes withing the solo. There are fractions of arpeggios, cool licks, cool phrases, but you need to create better flow with the licks. Try to really nail the root or the fifth of a given chord while playing. This creates greater connection with the backing. Although you did managed to do this, there were some problems in the solo here and there, and I think this is the biggest issue. Everything else is really excellent! Both takes are very good, and I like the tone on both of them very much. smile.gif

K1R: Very nice emotions expression in the second part of the solo, and good harmony follow-up with the root notes. Nice use of the pentatonic scale, although I would like to hear more riched note range here as well. Try using minor blues scale, natural minor or even melodic minor fractions in there somewhere. These scales share many common notes, so usually it's just a matter of adding something to the pentatonic "template". As far as tone goes, I like that nice warm woody tone, although I think there is little headroom and sustain. Possibly work a bit more on those qualities in your tone.

Michael: Good use of pauses throughout the solo, and a decent harmonic follow up. Very nice use of strong notes. There is one moment that I would like you to check, in the end when the progression goes to the Bm chord, you did 3 bends (bended A full step to get cool.gif, and then you went to F#. This is OK, but it would be a lot better if you would go to A, C or E, since these are the notes within the (next in line) Am chord. Always be aware of the strong note positions while playing, more than being aware of the actualy scale pattern. Notes you are using here and mostly minor pentatonic and minor scale, and I think you are using them with a good sense. Bends are also very nice. Sound is cool, nice clean, but a bit too much reverb. Try cutting down the tail of a reverb and make it a slightly more brighter, it's very dark. Darker
reverbs (specially ones with long tail/time) can quickly clog up the mix.

Tyler: Very good, tight, agressive and rhythmically well balanced solo, with cool staccato elements. Good scale knowledge that revolves around minor/dorian/blues scale notes, and nice arpeggiated phrases as well. Downside of using this array of elements is that they are not always connected together in a meaningful way. It's much more effective to play a lick (which may contain out of key notes) and land on the strong note, than to play an arpeggio of a given chord and land on a non-strong note. It's a basic rule of improvisation, and I think you need to work a bit more on that. Try to analyze your licks, which are excellent, and try to see how you can adapt them to the 3 chords that form the harmony in this case. Over Em you will land on E G B, on Am you will land on A C E, on Bm, you will land on B D F#. This will help you connect those great passages together. One more important thing that this solo lacks is dynamics. Playing compressed, hot, with lots of gain is great, but there should always be some dynamics present in the solo, specially the slow blues like this. Accent some notes, lower down the volume just a tiny bit on some others (like in the middle of the solo), and them crank it again in the end, and that's already much more fun.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 16 2011, 08:59 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Final_Mix.mp3 ( 7.62MB ) Number of downloads: 220

--------------------

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Aug 15 2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks Ivan. I think you got mine and Tyler's named mixed on the comments, but I read them all! LOL! I really appreciate the comments, it helps a lot! I will work on the reverb. I added more of it thinking it would help my sustain some, but it did not...back to the practice table!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:05 PM