> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Poor Man Blues Solo, Lesson By Ivan Milenkovic
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 0

BrentThomason
May 24 2022, 09:49 PM
GMC:er
Original lesson: Poor Man Blues Solo by Ivan Milenkovic

My cover

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 25 2022, 07:43 AM
GMC Founder
Absolutely beautiful mate,

You go for a totally different tone than Ivan. You do warm LP and he has a spanky strat tone. It works beautifully though!

You clearly have the feels for this kind of playing, and I see two main areas where you could really boost your playing to a new level:

* Bending / vibrato: Whenever you can, I suggest you try bending downwards (for example on the G string). This will give you much more power and control. Also, you should try to use your arm muscles when bending and not so much your finger muscles - as this is is how you develop a wide and consistent vibrato.

* Right hand: your picking is very consistent and almost machine like. This is exactly what you should strive for to develop fast alternate picking. However for this kind of playing, I recommend you being a bit more loose. Just see how Ivan constantly uses is thumb joint movement, to create more picking dynamics and variation.

I can't grade you here since this is not a note for note performance, but your playing here is extremely promising. Also I have increased the difficulty rating for this lesson to 5 (will show tomorrow) as 3 is a bit misleading considering the fast run at the end.

Keep up the amazing work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 25 2022, 08:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Brent!

Great to see a new take from you. This lesson, even if it sounds quite simple as composition, is very challenging because it has a lot of details to capture to make it sound how it should. You are on a good path, but your take is still a kind of draft at this point.

Now let's go through a few details:

Dynamics - this is the first thing that is missing in your playing. Your entire take sounds too soft and has no accents.
The blues playing require using a wide dynamic range. This means that you need to learn how to properly use your pick to control the tone in such a way to alternate between the aggressive moments and soft/mellow moments. This will create the perfect contrast and your playing will become more expressive.
You showed that you can play soft. Now for the notes that require a sharp and screaming sound, don't be afraid to push the pick to cut through the string.

Vibrato - at this moment your vibrato doesn't look good. Only at 0:59 do you manage to make a kind of vibrato which can deliver a better feel to the note.
You need to practice this technique separately and the most important thing....practice the vibrato movement very slowly. Don't start doing this fast because it will not work. You need first to manage the correct movement of the hand before adding the speed.

Picking direction - please review the original picking direction from the lesson. You need to understand that picking direction affects the tone and feel. Also, when you have some tiny fast licks, you will see that using a correct picking direction will be a good help.

0:32 - here you should play a micro bend

0:37 - you did not play the down bend

0:21; 0:23; 0:26; etc - the raking technique - you completely skipped this technique from your playing. This is an amazing tool which will make your playing sound more expressive. You probably don't know how to manage this technique.
So....here you have a video made by Kris. His explanation is perfect.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/raking/

0:34 - 0:41 - here should be played a raked effect/slide out from above. I appreciate the fact that you tried to do something here. You felt that need to add something instead of leaving a pause. That's a very good thing. It's better to try than skip the details.
To help you with how to play this detail, you need to learn first the raking technique. Then, I will teach you how to literally bite from the strings to manage this awesome and spicy raked effect.

As overall advice, try to pay more attention to the timing of each lick (you have some issues), accents (notice each note which should be played with accent), bend pitch and play with more intention (bring some aggressiveness into your playing).

I will not point out more tiny details because in order to manage them you need to fix the things that I talked about. Kris is right, your take doesn't qualify for grading but keep up your great work!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: May 25 2022, 08:24 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2022, 07:03 AM
Instructor
Hi Brent!

To be honest, I really liked your interpretation of this lesson, even with your own arrangements of the phrases. I think you gave it a very unique flavor.

Your guitar tone is very warm, and I think it fits perfectly with the style of the song/backing track. Also, I get the impression that your performance has a very good feel to it.

Kris already told you that there are two elements that need more attention: Bending and Picking. So keep working on that and, if possible, find other lessons that cover those techniques.

Keep up the good work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 23 2022, 09:31 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Closing this one cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:57 PM