Self Obsessed Guitarists
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 8 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Some guys (yeah mostly guys it seems?!) think they're God, when in fact they’re merely good.

I think have seen a trend: the more humble the guitarist, the better he/she will play.

I met some of the greats out there and guess what - they are all humble guys with no exception...

Me: WOW! You played great!!
Steve Lukather: Ah, c'mon man.. It was not that great, but you sure know how to make an old man feel good. Gimme a hug, c'mon smile.gif (then leaves off with a few girls laugh.gif )

Andy Timmons: Are you also a guitarist?
Me: Well, yeah, let's say so smile.gif
Andy: And where will your next show take place?
Me: I am performing with a philharmonic orchestra in 2 days from now in one of our biggest venues in Bucharest.
Andy: WOW! Man, I am so happy for you - I have never played with an orchestra so far, but I will be doing it in Tokyo in 6 months from now - how does it feel like, can you give me some tips maybe?
Me: - stunned - almost crying smile.gif

So why are some guitarist walking the macho road, when all we’re trying to do is express our feelings? What do you think is a good example of a self-obsessed vs a humble guitarist?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Spock
Jun 8 2014, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
Very good point Ben. Like you almost have to put on a shell. It's like to become a great guitarist, it takes hours and hours of alone time - then you go on tour and everyone wants to talk to you, and for some people, that attention could be hard to deal with. In that case some people may come across as assholes, but they're really just shy.

My friend got to see Stone Sour when they played locally and he said James Root went straight to the tour bus and didn't say anything to anybody, while the other guitarist was very personable and stayed outside. It doesn't make JR a jerk, anything could have been going on.

Another person that comes to mind, and is the furthest thing from a narcissists imaginable is Neil Peart. He is just a quiet introverted guy. I am the same way. It takes me getting some alcohol into my system before I can talk to crowds or even feel comfortable on stage. My hands would always shake uncontrollably during a sound check, before I had taken a few shots. I hate to admit that, but it's true. I may not come across as an introvert, because I am not shy when it comes to typing behind a screen, but when it comes to performing or even mingling in public, I would prefer to sit in a corner with a couple of friends discussing some deep mystery as opposed to small talk.

But, I have witnessed the attitude before. It seems more prevalent now in younger bands, guys in their teens and twenties. The guys I know which are still playing on any circuits are all very humble, but there was a time when they fit right in with that "my band is great and everyone else's band sucks" mentality.

Which is another thing I've noticed. Many times a guitarist would come across as anyone he believes himself to be better than, sucks, and anyone he believes he is not as good as, is awesome. There is no middle ground.

It's just people on fragile ego trips. It's really a testament to just how insecure people really are, it's like, they have to let you know how great they are or else you just might not understand. And hearing themselves say it somehow makes it true in their mind - regardless of if the listener is simply agreeing to get them to shut up because their arrogance sends the cringe meter through the roof.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 8 2014, 03:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:54 AM