Self Obsessed Guitarists
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 8 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Some guys (yeah mostly guys it seems?!) think they're God, when in fact they’re merely good.

I think have seen a trend: the more humble the guitarist, the better he/she will play.

I met some of the greats out there and guess what - they are all humble guys with no exception...

Me: WOW! You played great!!
Steve Lukather: Ah, c'mon man.. It was not that great, but you sure know how to make an old man feel good. Gimme a hug, c'mon smile.gif (then leaves off with a few girls laugh.gif )

Andy Timmons: Are you also a guitarist?
Me: Well, yeah, let's say so smile.gif
Andy: And where will your next show take place?
Me: I am performing with a philharmonic orchestra in 2 days from now in one of our biggest venues in Bucharest.
Andy: WOW! Man, I am so happy for you - I have never played with an orchestra so far, but I will be doing it in Tokyo in 6 months from now - how does it feel like, can you give me some tips maybe?
Me: - stunned - almost crying smile.gif

So why are some guitarist walking the macho road, when all we’re trying to do is express our feelings? What do you think is a good example of a self-obsessed vs a humble guitarist?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2014, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
Paul Gilbert is a good example smile.gif he's a really nice guy and quite a player. Yngwie is a bit on the other side. Overtly stuck on themselves guitarists just come across to me as insecure. Almost like they are defending themselves and there ability at all times. Thankfully the instructors that we have here are pretty down to earth folks with a lack of A Hole Attitude which is not always the case with instructors. I've met instructors that are as bad or worse than Yngwie. It takes a confident person and player to avoid being arrogant. Arrogance is almost always just a shield for massive insecurity imho.

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 08:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 8 2014, 03:55 PM) *
Paul Gilbert is a good example smile.gif he's a really nice guy and quite a player. Yngwie is a bit on the other side. Overtly stuck on themselves guitarists just come across to me as insecure. Almost like they are defending themselves and there ability at all times. Thankfully the instructors that we have here are pretty down to earth folks with a lack of A Hole Attitude which is not always the case with instructors. I've met instructors that are as bad or worse than Yngwie. It takes a confident person and player to avoid being arrogant. Arrogance is almost always just a shield for massive insecurity imho.

Todd

I totally agree with you, but holy c...p man! Yngwie is one of the most surefooted musicians I've ever seen. He performs like a hurricane! I think his insecurities are of a whole different nature... maybe some personal issues? Life? Family? Who knows?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:32 AM