My Love For Fender...
Canis
Nov 2 2008, 08:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is a extremely random topic, but I just want to let the world know that I have fallen in love with Fender Guitars..... I have absolutely no idea why, but I suddenly felt a huge pull towards Fenders.... wub.gif

Also, I noticed that I really don't actually know anything about Fenders.... I know the difference between a Telecaster and a Stratocaster, but that's problaby it. So I was wondering if someone could tell me some basic details between the different types of models (Mexican, American ect.." and such?

Thanks =)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ChrisVdS
Nov 2 2008, 09:42 PM
GMC:er
American strat & tele are made in the US and are loaded with better pickups, bridge, neck etc and are handmade i believe so more expensive. Mexican fenders are the budget models let's just say not as good as the american series but that does not mean that they are bad guitars. I like strats very much aswell but everyone plays a strat or a les paul so i don't play them biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Nov 2 2008, 09:49 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 2 2008, 10:02 PM
Instructor
Check out this thread, I wrote some of the important characteristics of strat guitars. Hope it helps.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Nov 2 2008, 10:25 PM
Instructor
I fell in love with Fender yesterday after playing HSS Deluxe Stratocaster which belongs to my brother. Killer axe!

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 2 2008, 10:35 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Another thing, Fender Japan models are awesome. I've tried a few and they're much better than the mexican models IMO smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 2 2008, 10:37 PM
Instructor
You got it Paal, specially to older ones. They have much better wood.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 2 2008, 10:41 PM
A bit off topic but Fender basses are awesome too! I'm still a beginner at bass but I've tried a Marcus Miller sig jazzbass in store (they barely wanted to give it to me rolleyes.gif ), and it really had that thick and bright tone that I love.

Among fender guitars my personal favourite would be lite ash models, with replaced pickups though...

Or the new 2008 David Gilmour strat... (only a LITTLE BIT expensive for my current budget... tongue.gif biggrin.gif )

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 2 2008, 10:42 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 2 2008, 10:37 PM) *
You got it Paal, specially to older ones. They have much better wood.

That's right Ivan smile.gif
I've tried used Japan models that rivals usa-made Fenders!

+Quote Post
wrk
Nov 2 2008, 11:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 2 2008, 10:02 PM) *
Check out this thread, I wrote some of the important characteristics of strat guitars. Hope it helps.

Ivan, thanks for list ... just have a question. Do you know how the Highway series would fitting in your list. Quality, sound, wood selection, etc .. ?

I find them kind of attractive for the price, but never tried one myself ..

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 2 2008, 11:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the info, and thanks for that list, Ivan biggrin.gif
Just what I was looking for ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Nov 3 2008, 12:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I also want to try and maybe buy a Fender but first:

BOSS chorus and delay, Fender Deluxe amp ... so I think the fender guitar will wait a year of 2 smile.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 3 2008, 01:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Nov 2 2008, 11:09 PM) *
Ivan, thanks for list ... just have a question. Do you know how the Highway series would fitting in your list. Quality, sound, wood selection, etc .. ?

I find them kind of attractive for the price, but never tried one myself ..

No problem mate

Highway one is relatively new product line in Fender guitar family. 3 (beefed up) hi-gain singlecoils, thin finish that will break easily and allow vintage look relatively early, also has different resonance than normal finish, and greasebucket circuit for a bit different tonal shaping. IMO this is the good bang for buck product, they did cut corners on it, you don't get case (you get a gigbag), so I can recommend this one as a backup for gigs or everyday bashing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 3 2008, 05:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 2 2008, 07:18 PM) *
No problem mate

thin finish that will break easily and allow vintage look relatively early

I did not know that!

I am certainly still no expert Canis...but I can tell you that my strat is a made in Mexico strat and I could not be happier with it. I got lucky and found a very nice sounding Mexican strat. Everyone of them is different. I have played MANY strats in Guitar Center that cost a lot more money than mine would cost new, and lots of the more expensive ones don't sound as good. I never planned on being a strat lover...but I traded a guy an old mountain bike for it...and I play it just as much if not more than my Ibanez! If I am playing blues or just a clean tone, there is no comparison. I'll take my strat everytime!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Nov 3 2008, 05:12 AM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
wrk
Nov 3 2008, 08:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 3 2008, 01:18 AM) *
No problem mate

Highway one is relatively new product line in Fender guitar family. 3 (beefed up) hi-gain singlecoils, thin finish that will break easily and allow vintage look relatively early, also has different resonance than normal finish, and greasebucket circuit for a bit different tonal shaping. IMO this is the good bang for buck product, they did cut corners on it, you don't get case (you get a gigbag), so I can recommend this one as a backup for gigs or everyday bashing.

Thank you Ivan !!
I was reading that they cut some corners to reach this price, but beside that fender does not deliver a case, i couldn't figure out what is actually different on the guitar itself.

The thin nitro finish is in fact the reason why i got interested in the Highway series. It's lesser shiny and feels better ... personal taste i guess.

As it's an US manufactured guitar i would like to know if the quality control on the guitar itself (wood parts, neck, frets) are similar to other US models. If they cut on hardware parts (tuner, tremolo, pickups) wouldn't bother me really as all this is customizable over time.
Does anybody have knowledge about that?

Sorry Canis for highjacking your topic with my questions smile.gif ... we should collect and centralize all the Fender, Gibson, etc. information somewhere.

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 3 2008, 09:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (wrk @ Nov 3 2008, 08:34 AM) *
Sorry Canis for highjacking your topic with my questions smile.gif ... we should collect and centralize all the Fender, Gibson, etc. information somewhere.

Hehe, no problem tongue.gif

And that's a good idea. The mods could make a "Official Fender/Gibson/Ibanez Thread" for each of the popular brand, and update the first post with links and information ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr T
Nov 3 2008, 10:54 AM
QUOTE (wrk @ Nov 3 2008, 08:34 AM) *
... we should collect and centralize all the Fender, Gibson, etc. information somewhere.

That would be very usefull. I'd certainly make use of it.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 3 2008, 09:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (wrk @ Nov 3 2008, 02:34 AM) *

That is a phenomenal idea!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 3 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
I love strats, the shape of the body is comfortable the string spacing, the neck (most of them). But I like the tone of Mahogany which fender doesn't use, I made a mahogany strat from Warmoth parts that ended up sounding awesome, the one I used in my Hard Rock Shred Solo, I want to make another one but don't know if I'll have the time, it took me over 3 months to give it that finish.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 3 2008, 11:09 PM
Instructor
The thin finish is cutting corners IMO, also I'm not sure how hotter pickups, different electronics and thin finish can sound like any other strat. It will sound a bit different, but hey it's still a strat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 3 2008, 11:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Regarding Strats... I've had a Squier Strat for almost a year now, and it's only after playing my new Schecter that I've noticed that the strings on my Squier is extremely far from the fretboard, and makes it unnessicary harder to play on.. Do anyone know if there is any "Do-it-yourself" way to get them a bit closer, or do I have to take it in to some guitar shop?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:05 AM