Some Jems
Ayen
Nov 27 2007, 01:22 AM
GMC:er
I've never heard them, or seen anyone play it, but apparently they're great guitars. And while sound is really what matters in a guitar, I know looks have to factor in somewhere. Where does this come in on the Jem?

I mean, what's appealing about a guitar that looks like this?

The inlay is great, but what's with the different colors? Red and green and pink and white combined like that just come off as a bit ugly.

I'm not trying to put these guitars down, I know they're great and all, but I can't imagine myself holding one of them when it looks like it fell on paint.

So much for not putting them down sad.gif

Edit: Wow! Didn't realize someone had posted something similar to this, especially so recently! Sorry about that guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Nov 27 2007, 01:30 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 27 2007, 01:24 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hmm, not everyones taste I guess, I quite like it to be honest laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Nov 27 2007, 01:25 AM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Nov 27 2007, 01:22 AM) *
I've never heard them, or seen anyone play it, but apparently they're great guitars. And while sound is really what matters in a guitar, but I know looks have to factor in somewhere. Where does this come in on the Jem?

The inlay is great, but what's with the different colors? Red and green and pink and white combined like that just come off as a bit ugly.

I'm not trying to put these guitars down, I know they're great and all, but I can't imagine myself holding one of them when it looks like it fell on paint.

BUMP!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 27 2007, 01:25 AM
It's just a matter of opinion, I agree with you, I think that guitar is hideous, but some people might think that it's the most beautiful guitar ever created! biggrin.gif But then, some people think this is art... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Nov 27 2007, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 27 2007, 01:28 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 12:25 AM) *
But then, some people think this is art... tongue.gif

mellow.gif isnt it??? laugh.gif laugh.gif just jokin wink.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Nov 27 2007, 01:29 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 01:25 AM) *
It's just a matter of opinion, I agree with you, I think that guitar is hideous, but some people might think that it's the most beautiful guitar ever created! biggrin.gif But then, some people think this is art... tongue.gif

LOL! biggrin.gif

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2007, 01:32 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think its super sexy guitar! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 27 2007, 04:05 AM
I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder then.

Nonetheless, I must now invent an eye-stealing-machine...

I think Mr. Dick Cheney has like...12

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 27 2007, 04:35 AM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Nov 26 2007, 07:22 PM) *
I've never heard them, or seen anyone play it, but apparently they're great guitars. And while sound is really what matters in a guitar, I know looks have to factor in somewhere. Where does this come in on the Jem?

Edit: Wow! Didn't realize someone had posted something similar to this, especially so recently! Sorry about that guys.

Well first off, if you have never heard a JEM then you must be missing out on Pavel's and Juan's lessons. They both use a JEM all the time. tongue.gif

Second, that JEM is clear its not white, and the inside lights up with neon green LED lights when plugged in.

Just wanted to let you know.

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 27 2007, 06:39 AM
OH! I thought it was just a really odd design! That's awesome! I almost want one now biggrin.gif Thanks for clearing that up!

And I've seen Pavel and Juan's JEMs, which is why I titled this thread "Some Jems". I meant in real-life, I have never heard a Jem before. I'm sure theres a bit of distortion through the microphone recording.

This post has been edited by Ayen: Nov 27 2007, 06:41 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Nov 27 2007, 09:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 27 2007, 04:35 AM) *
Well first off, if you have never heard a JEM then you must be missing out on Pavel's and Juan's lessons. They both use a JEM all the time. tongue.gif

Second, that JEM is clear its not white, and the inside lights up with neon green LED lights when plugged in.

Just wanted to let you know.

Yeah, JEM rules !!! But now I'm not using my JEM in my lesson. One reason is because now I use a drop tunning in this guitar, and another good reason is because the tree inlay it's a bit confusing... But thanks to remember me my friend !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Nice job on the looks but... i think the guitar must have the sound first. I mean, why there are LEDs in there? Ibanez, as a brand that is famous for modern guitars should invent something more practical, like Gibson made Robot LP or Fender made S3 switching. It`s just my oppinion though. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Nov 27 2007, 07:35 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 27 2007, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Nov 27 2007, 07:33 PM) *
Nice job on the looks but... i think the guitar must have the sound first. I mean, why there are LEDs in there? Ibanez, as a brand that is famous for modern guitars should invent something more practical, like Gibson made Robot LP or Fender made S3 switching. It`s just my oppinion though. smile.gif

That's the 20th anniversary Jem, a limited run of 200 guitars, they wanted something whacky that would really stand out and be a collectors item. Apparently they approached Vai with the idea of making an acryllic Jem w/ lights, and he countered with the idea of streamers suspended in the mold. If memory serves, taken from a guitar world a couple months back.

When they first approached Vai w/ a signature guitar prototype, it was originally a pink and green snakeskin superstrat with a super thin neck and dimarzio pickups. I believe it was originally mahogany body. Ibanez caught Vai's attention with their effort to appeal to him since apparently Gibson and Fender just sent him existing models and said "check it out, other greats play them" but he was not impressed. So he helped develop the JEM. He settled on the Basswood, sacrificing some tone for a more uniform tone (less variance in the grain) so that he could go in a store anywhere and pick up a JEM and it would be HIS guitar. For some reason he likes ugly things, so that's where the pink/green pickups came from. For that same reason, he added the monkey grip. The original inlay were pyramids (like his logo has), but not sure when tree of life made it on there.

Ibanez wanted to make a player guitar that was available to everybody, so made the RG, inspired by the JEM the very same year (1987) which was an evolution from the roadstar series.

History of the JEM lifted from the book included in my RG550 case. That's all off the top of my head so verify it for yourself.

So you accuse Ibanez of not taking a more practical approach to their instruments, sounds like they worked integrally with their talent to develop it to me tongue.gif Plus, it was developed in the 80's so of course it's obscenely loud looking.

I'll admit I almost went 5k in debt to try and pick one of those up. The gadgetry of a guitar that lights up is really appealing to me for some reason. Glad I didn't but it's still really cool tongue.gif.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 28 2007, 12:15 AM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 27 2007, 09:01 PM) *
added the monkey grip. The original inlay were pyramids (like his logo has), but not sure when tree of life made it on there.

I think that the pyramids went away in favor of the tree of life in the early 90's (after Passion & Warfare, before either Sex & Religion or Alien Love Secrets...definitely before Fire Garden). I can't prove it right now though.

Actually, when I was doing research on the Ibanez Roadstar series, I was surprised to find out that the "tree of life" inlay wasn't a Vai thing. It's on all of the Jem's these days, but Ibanez has been using it on other tuitars since long before the Jem. Here's a photo of a Bob Weir signature Artist from 1978 (http://www.noahjames.com/vintagepage/BW.HTML).

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Nov 28 2007, 12:18 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:20 AM