Keilnoth's February Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Feb 7 2010, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Keil,

We continue now with our work for February. For first 2 assignments I have decided to continue with superimposing with minor pentatonics only this time you will have to read the thread about major chords and record some superimposing with minor pentatonics over major type chords.

Here is your 1st and 2nd assignment

1st assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics over Major type chords post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

2nd assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen C major as your chord. Now you also chose C major to be treated as I (Ionian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from C major scale ( D ,E and A minor pentatonics) over C major chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for first two assignments is 14th of February.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Feb 14 2010, 08:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Pedja,

I did not forget you. I've tried for a few days to compose something cool but really had no inspiration. So it took a while to have a not that bad take and to publish it.

As requested, I used only one chord : E Major and added a few drums on it as I bought EZ Drummer a few days ago. So I played on C#, F# and G# Minor pentatonics.

Anyways, here's my take, no very good, but still a take. smile.gif

Thanks

Attached File  MTP___Major_Superimposition.mp3 ( 1.36MB ) Number of downloads: 185

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 19 2010, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Keil we continue with your remaining assignments for February. We have 3rd, 4th and REC assignment to cover.

3rd assignment and REC :

- Record Triads in a major scale series part 3 lesson found HERE
- Once you are done with video recording, upload it in REC part of forum for grading. Make sure that you include voting pool.

4th assignment :

- Record backing track using two random chords!
- Chords could have the same quality (two major chords for example) or different quality ( minor and then major chord).
- Chords don't have to be diatonic ( in other words you could record C and Eb major chords in backing track!)
- Over these chords, solo using superimposing with minor pentatonics!
- Once you recorded your solo, upload it in this thread.

For example... I choose to record two chords that have same quality, major chords. First chord is C major while second is Eb major. Duration is the same for both of the chords. Now what I need to do is decide what I want my C major and Eb major to sound like. I decide that I want C major to sound like Ionian, so I pick E minor pentatonic to solo over. In other case I choose my Eb major to sound like Mixolyidian, so I pick Bb minor pentatonic to superimpose over it. Now I record a solo using E minor and Bb minor pentatonics over C major and Eb major chords. The duration of solo is your choice!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deadline for these assignments is 28th of February !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Feb 24 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Pedja,

I am not sure I will be able to do that assignment in time. I am leaving during 5 days to Belgium on Saturday and I have to get everything ready.

Anyway, I will finish the assignment when I'll be back next week and I will post it on your board if the thread is already closed. Not sure I'll be able to check the forum during a week or so.

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2010, 02:23 AM
Instructor
Keil I will leave your thread open as long as you want it to be. I hope new MTP rules will change back to old ones as I wouldn't want to stop working with you. Keep in touch, keep me informed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 7 2010, 01:04 AM
Hi Pedja, I started working on the assignment and will probably record the REC tomorrow.

Thanks for your message, yeah, I hope the MTP rules will change back to the last one...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 8 2010, 03:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Mar 7 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Hi Pedja, I started working on the assignment and will probably record the REC tomorrow.

Thanks for your message, yeah, I hope the MTP rules will change back to the last one...

Hi Keil,

I will leave thread open and post your final REC when you are done with it. Looks like MTP rules are set in stone which makes me sad. I gave you my MSN, you can write me there [email protected]
Keep in touch

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 18 2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Pedja,

Thanks for your patience, here's my assignment :

Will post it under the REC topic as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 19 2010, 03:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Mar 18 2010, 09:17 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

Thanks for your patience, here's my assignment :

Will post it under the REC topic as well.

Hi Keil,

I just graded this one with a 10! Fantastic work you did with this lesson. Only real thing that I feel you could change is your sound. You could make it brighter by boosting some mids in your tone selection but this was entirely your choice, experiment and be free with it. I am much more interested in chord vocabulary and rhythm placement which was perfect!

Look forward to your last assignment!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 19 2010, 04:17 PM
My tone sounded much brighter on my monitors. But now I am listening to the take at job and it's really wet and fat. Perhaps when uploading to Youtube they change the sound as well. Not sure, will try something else next time.

Thanks for the rating. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Keilnoth: Mar 19 2010, 04:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 19 2010, 04:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Mar 19 2010, 04:17 PM) *
My tone sounded much brighter on my monitors. But now I am listening to the take at job and it's really wet and fat. Perhaps when uploading to Youtube they change the sound as well. Not sure, will try something else next time.

Thanks for the rating. wink.gif

I know exactly what you mean! Speakers , monitors, amps , pa system all give you a bit different sound. I always like to listen back on my computer when I record something. Most times I like just the amp sound better then actual POD X3 Live sound going into computer but it could be fixed easily so no worries there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
May 26 2010, 08:56 PM
Finally finished this assignment.

I played a C Major and A Minor over C Major Scale and Superimposed most of the time on D and E Minor.

It's 100% improvised over the loop...

Attached File  MTP___Minor_Superimposition.mp3 ( 1.76MB ) Number of downloads: 145

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 27 2010, 05:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ May 26 2010, 09:56 PM) *
Finally finished this assignment.

I played a C Major and A Minor over C Major Scale and Superimposed most of the time on D and E Minor.

It's 100% improvised over the loop...

Attached File  MTP___Minor_Superimposition.mp3 ( 1.76MB ) Number of downloads: 145

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for finishing this assignment. I am glad you followed the rules and did the work. We will be working more on this type of approach in our next MTP starting from June 1st so be prepare for it wink.gif
I will close this thread now and open new one for you when time comes for June assignments!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:37 AM